Beginner Comma Butterfly. (edit - identification)

Hmmm! Not too sure as this one has a dark body and bulbous ends to the antennae plus from the angle difficultly to see but the wings look more scollaped than a cardinal???

All the cardinal images I can find show an orangery body and non bulbous ended antennae with more finely scollaping on the wings.

If this was in the UK then AFAIK we don't get cardinals here, and they are much larger than the comma. I believe they're actually fritillaries. The wing shape of a comma is unmistakable, but your images don't show it off very well. Get yourself an ID book. The butterflies will only get better for several months now and it's galling when you don't know what they are. Just a hint - it's better to photograph butterflies when everything's in the same plane, ie either from the top with the wings flat, or from the side with the wings folded. Some don't make for good images with wings folded, some are almost impossible to catch any other way. With the whole insect in the same plane you can get in close and still get the maximum amount of it in focus with the right aperture, but always spot focus on the head. If they're settled and not too flighty it's fairly easy to get into a good position. Just like any animal or bird, move carefully and slowly, and don't let your shadow fall across it if it's in the sun. As with all wildlife, think about presenting it at its best - attitude, location, background, lighting.

If this was in the UK then AFAIK we don't get cardinals here, and they are much larger than the comma. I believe they're actually fritillaries. The wing shape of a comma is unmistakable, but your images don't show it off very well. Get yourself an ID book. The butterflies will only get better for several months now and it's galling when you don't know what they are. Just a hint - it's better to photograph butterflies when everything's in the same plane, ie either from the top with the wings flat, or from the side with the wings folded. Some don't make for good images with wings folded, some are almost impossible to catch any other way. With the whole insect in the same plane you can get in close and still get the maximum amount of it in focus with the right aperture, but always spot focus on the head. If they're settled and not too flighty it's fairly easy to get into a good position. Just like any animal or bird, move carefully and slowly, and don't let your shadow fall across it if it's in the sun. As with all wildlife, think about presenting it at its best - attitude, location, background, lighting.
I would have loved to have moved to get a better shot, but the log was over hanging an unstable river bank. :(

Damn it. I'm rubbish at this identification stuff. Must be a Comma then.
Meh not that bad:) second go is ok Ben ,none of us know it all mate and it don't matter how much you learn either,tomorrow will always bring something new,that's the joy of nature mate. i'm know flutterby expert mate but that looks like all the other comma's i've seen here.

Ben you have a great post from Janny above to push you forwards(I'm going to steal some of that cheers Jan),I like your can do attitude bro sure the view is compromised but you didn't do badly mate at all . I'm learning too buddy,frankly don't think it will ever stop,your exposure isn't bad you got him not bad for sharpness either nice bkg (background),keep plugging away Ben tis onyl a matter of time now you'll nail something soon. I think of it like this if I keep bashing away sooner of later something has to go right,once one has one more have to follow then it's just keep on pushing until one doesn't make mistakes any more(like that is gonna happen:rolleyes:,but no harm in trying mate:D

stu

Back