Compact and lightweight tripod

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I am looking to replace my 190XPROB + 496RC2 tripod as my travelling around tripod. I need something lighter and smaller (around 40cm would be about ideal) but also something that is sturdy and robust. I use a D90 (soon looking to upgrade to maybe a D7100) + 11-16mm Tokina lens. My budget is around £100 but willing spend a bit more if necessary. Might not keep my current setup if I like it enough.

I need something lighter and smaller ... but also something that is sturdy and robust. ... My budget is around £100 but willing spend a bit more if necessary.
This looks like the ideal situation to refer to the First Rule Of Tripods.

Light.
Sturdy.
Cheap.

Pick any two.

This looks like the ideal situation to refer to the First Rule Of Tripods.

Light.
Sturdy.
Cheap.

Pick any two.

This is an out of date generalisation, not sure why it's the first rule of tripods.

How about
Light
Sturdy enough depending on the equipment and environment
Cheap but everyone has their own budget

All three are easily achievable for some, not for others.

I can use my 5DMKIII with 24-70 f/2.8 MKII on a Mefoto Road trip without any issues, and it's small enough to fit in my camera bag. Cost about £150.

Hi,

I am looking to replace my 190XPROB + 496RC2 tripod as my travelling around tripod. I need something lighter and smaller (around 40cm would be about ideal) but also something that is sturdy and robust. I use a D90 (soon looking to upgrade to maybe a D7100) + 11-16mm Tokina lens. My budget is around £100 but willing spend a bit more if necessary. Might not keep my current setup if I like it enough.

Hi
Its worth checking out the Feisol UK site,the guy that runs it John,is extremely helpful

Heres the tel no. 023 8060 1916

Hope you get sorted..

Paul

How about
Light
Sturdy enough depending on the equipment and environment
Cheap but everyone has their own budget

Long before it was used for tripods this term was I believe originally coined for mountain bike parts as in Light, Strong, Cheap.

I agree that with modern manufacturing methods and materials its not quite as relevant as it was, but we have yet to see whether durable needs to be added to the list.

Still using my quite old Gitzo G1158 Mountaineer. light, strong, durable and not overly expensive given how long its lasted

Last edited:
I dont think with a decent CF tripod durability is an issue as Rich says,and with the more compact type that the OP is looking for,keeping low down will improve stability IMHO

Thanks for all the replies chaps. Much appreciated. So many choices. I really like the look of Giottos tripods, especially the vitruvian. How does the quality of Giottos compare to Manfrotto?

I also like the Mefoto backpacker. I'll look up some reviews on that too.

Hmmm. Something has to give...

Ah, as I forgot to mention. I am willing to stretch a bit, perhaps up to £150 or buy used. And then providing I'm happy, reluctantly sell the manfrotto,

Did you have a look at the Feisol Matt ?

Yes, they look superb and just what I want, however a bit out of my price range unfortunately. Thanks for recommendation though.

I've done a lot on this.

Check out the Velbon ultra rexi L, not got 1 yet, but that's just down to not being able to find one I can touch and buy.

But everyone that has one has nothing but great things to say about them.

I did a bit of research and ended up with a short list. I ended up buying the RedGed TCA-522K that comes the RNB-0n ball head and took it on a holiday to Jordan just last week. What I liked was:

- Very compact at just 36cm (only the Befree is close)
- Very light with just 1.25Kg
- Good head that allowed panning. I didn't like the equivalent priced ones didn't have panning or like the Manfrotto Befree couldn't be replaced
- Great price at £119

I was very happy with it, good quality overall, easy to carry around and stable enough. The last leg extensions are a bit thin so in wind you wouldn't want to extend them and use a weight on the hook that it has but that will always be the case with a travel tripod that doesn't weight too much and folds into something small.

I used it with my Canon 6D and both the Canon 24-70mm and 70-200mm mk1 IS lenses without problem. The spec says up to 4Kg.

I got it from Outdoors Photography at a great price for just £119 including next day delivery fully tracked. I would definitely recommend those guys.

http://shop.outdoorsphotography.co.uk/redged-tca-522k-travel-macro-tripod-aluminum-r-0n.html

Last edited:
Back