Comparing Canon EF 24-105mm f4L IS USM & Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 XR Di ll LD

kennysarmy

Yeah but can your army do this?
Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
Does anyone have any real life comparison comments to make?

I have the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 XR Di ll LD currently but find it lacking at the long end...on my 400d.

Was thinking of selling the Tamron and going for something with a little longer reach for candid portraits of the kids etc.

If in the future the loss of wide bothers me I would pick up a sigma 10-20 which I have had in the past.

Cheers.

considering you have the 70..200 perhaps the 24-70 would be worth a look.

Hi,

Yes i've had both. The Tamron is a great lens but IMO the improvement you'll notice with the 24-105 will be contrast, colours and the IS leads to a much better hit rate. The only downside is 24mm on a crop is not really wide enough all the time but couple it with the 10-22 as i do gives you allot of flexibility. The other obvious things are the build quality is far better but it weighs allot more as a result.

Hope this helps

the lens will be sharper and a lot heavier.
I've only used that lens on a 5D many years ago but it's a beaut

will you miss the 2.8??? my tamron is tack sharp on good shot, but lacking on others. the L glass I think gives you better consistency. if you like cheaper glass though and was longer reach the 28-135 IS is a nice canon walk about. I;ve have L glass if I could afford it though tbh!

p.s didn't realise you already had L glass...yummy :)

Hi,

Yes i've had both. The Tamron is a great lens but IMO the improvement you'll notice with the 24-105 will be contrast, colours and the IS leads to a much better hit rate. The only downside is 24mm on a crop is not really wide enough all the time but couple it with the 10-22 as i do gives you allot of flexibility. The other obvious things are the build quality is far better but it weighs allot more as a result.

Hope this helps

+1
Having owned both, my findings pretty much exactly.

Thanks for the comments...

I am hoping I could live without the width and always have the option of stitching a couple of photos together if needs be until funds allow the purchase of the UWA.

Will seek best price :)

Back