Competition Photos

Name
Brandon
Edit My Images
No
I have two images I want to use for a competition themed 'motion', both are of fireworks but I can't choose which would be better. Hope you can help! Thank you.

7283066952_da29cb6e60_b.jpg

7283066212_d3b6c61eb9_b.jpg

Their are elements I like from both, like the curves of the second one and the sparks at the end of the streaks,
but the first image has less clutter and no white bleached out parts.

Personally, I'd go for #1. I think it's an altogether tidier shot.
The symmetry of the direction changes of the light trails in #2 make me think it was a longish exposure with a lot of camera shake.

Think you will find many competitions rarely have a 'straight' shot... what about combining them together or even multi-layering them trying some motion effects? Tbh, I find neither a 'winner', the composition and negative space, and not really for me at least fully representative of the title 'motion'. Google some fireworks images and see what I mean... Sorry, just an opinion.

Think you will find many competitions rarely have a 'straight' shot... what about combining them together or even multi-layering them trying some motion effects? Tbh, I find neither a 'winner', the composition and negative space, and not really for me at least fully representative of the title 'motion'. Google some fireworks images and see what I mean... Sorry, just an opinion.

+1

Fireworks are way down my list when I think about motion in images - I'd expect to see something more like a sequence from launch to explosion. If you've got suitable frames, lock the foreground down as an anchor and layer in just the firework from each image.

Haha, no need to apologise. I'm with you to be honest.
Every month 'myfinepix.co.uk' hold a themed competition and if I'm a bit late on the mark I tend to go through old images to find something that in a round-a-bout way fits the theme, which is what I've done here...
You never know what might tickle their fancy, it could be so whacky that they like it ;] -Nothing to lose basically-

I was going with the fact that the long exposure captures the motion of the light from the fireworks... thats how I connected it to the theme :bonk:

To be honest there not really showing off that much movement :shrug: there are a lot more ways that you could use light to show off movement in a more creative way, you only have to look at Andrew's above set HERE to see some of the amazing stuff that can be done with light (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Back