Computer Problems

Ok so I have a iMac desktop and I've run out of storage on it. I was wondering what the best solution to adding storage. I'd like to spend less than $1000 but am open to spending more.

What he said.

Is it possible to open your version of iMac? if so, no reason a bigger internal drive can't be fitted.

It depends on how old your iMac is.
My sons had failed in his 2009 iMac. The front glass came off pretty easily using some little suction cups you find on some bathroom things.

A few screws later you can see the Hdd which pops out pretty easily.

Some models have a separate temp sensor that just sticks onto the Hdd. If that's the case you can plug in any Hdd. Some drives have the temp sensor built into the drive. If this is the case you would need to try and locate one of these, or you could add a standard drive and would need some additional software to control the fan speeds as you would no longer have the temp sensor.

I'd like 5 tb. I'd like not to have to do anything in my computer. I don't know exactly how old it is since it's used but it's the box design instead of the slimmer new one.

If you go to the apple symbol in the top left corner and select " About this mac" you'll get a date for the machine. It won't be the exact date you purchased but a generation date e.g. late 2010.

If you are not comfortable with taking your iMac apart, and most people don't want to, then an external drive(s) is the best idea. You have a number of options, that in general depend on the age of the machine. This relates to the type of external interfaces you have. You will have USB, Now the only question is it USB2 or USB3. Not really a big problem as these are backwards compatible. USB 3 being the fastest. Again the age of the machine may reveal the type of USB you have. The other connection, if it's a non slimline version is Firewire 800. This is faster than USB2 but not as fast as USB3. Firewire was Apples preferred method of connecting drives for many years. Firewire drives tend to be more expensive than USB ones, and can be a little difficult to get hold of nowadays. You may have to opt for drives from GTech or Lacie who do combo drives which support multiple interfaces, including Firewire. I use a GTech GDrive on my iMac. it's Firewire and USB 3 I got it from the local Apple Store.

Last edited:
It may also be that your iMac has a thunderbolt port, in which case you can get very fast disc access to an external drive, but you'll pay through the nose for the priviledge.

Back