Considering a move to Canon....

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I wanted to ask peoples advice. I am considering a move over to Canon as it is the only way I will be getting FF in the forseeable future. I currently have a D90 and give or take a hundred it seems to be worth a similar value to the 5D so I guess I am wondering what I would be losing if I moved this way. So far I have thought of:

D90

• Decent modern camera with reasonably good low light capabilities
  • Soooooo easy to use, having learnt on a D50
  • Already have a lens line-up I am fairly happy with
  • Much larger, brighter and all round nicer LCD screen

5D

• The main reason I would like to switch is the 'je ne sais quoi' FF image quality has, particularly for people photography
  • Big, bright viewfinder
  • Possibly (after looking around) slightly worse noise levels at high ISO

Is there anything else important I have missed? What are Canon's primes like as I would probably be looking at getting the 35, 50 and 85.

Cheers for any input,
Michael

With FF you really need to put the best possible lenses on to reap the benefits....this is the biggest financial outlay IMHO.

to be perfectly honest I am in the process of moving over to mainly primes so quality shouldn't be an issue. I don't actually think I will have any zooms at all soon.

Michael........ What have you invested in Nikon kit?

A friend swapped from Canon to Nikon, when straight to Nikon and asked what deal they would do in a swap for a couple of Canon Pro bodies and L series lenses, basically got similar Nikon Kit to his canon, but still had to fork out an extra £4 or 5K difference.

The 5D is a good camera and the primes you mentioned are spot on depending on which version you go for...lens reviews below..

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Default.aspx

As it's a Full Frame camera it's more suited to landscape, portrait and studio work than action photography, I think thats where it fall short, but it's ISO performance is very good from what I've seen of a friends shots....

Peter

cheers Pete... I think the primes I am considering will be the 35mm f2, 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.8. How do these generally fare against their Nikon counterparts?

I am only an enthusiastic amateur and as such have very little kit:

D90, SB600, 12-24mm f4 Tokina, 24-70mm f2.8 Sigma, 35mm f2 Nikon, 85mm f1.8 Nikon

Swapping shouldn't be too expensive at all, particularly considering I would be possibly getting rid of the 12-24mm and 24-70mm.

I am mainly interested in candid portraits and a little bit of landscape so think it may be the one for me.

You may need to go longer than 85mm on FF, particularly if you continue doing weddings, etc.

Don't forget that to get the same field of view as with your current lenses, you'll need to buy ones that are 1.5x the focal length you have now. You need to think about this when working out the cost of moving.

There are pros and cons with any brand so... Having said that, do be prepared for everything feeling a little odd/ different at first. If you can, try getting hold of a Canon body and see how it feels.

If you really need FF then go whichever way works for you, but be sure you're not moving just because it's the latest thing. The cost might be more than you think.

Is full-frame of THAT much of a big deal to you? Is there no way DX-format will accomodate what you want to do or are you (excuse my frankness) following trends and moving to FF because you feel you have to?

The money is obviously going to be a big issue but a D90 vs a 5D - despite the FF credentials of the 5D it's old technology and I suspect the D90 is pretty much superior in every way bar the sensor coverage. Plus, you have the expense of new lenses (possibly the most expensive time to buy new glass is this year).

Why not stick with NAF, use any FF-compatible glass you have in conjunction with a D700. I've recently played with a 5Dmk2 and D700 and although the Canon is well nice, it's not a patch on the Nikon for handling and build quality.

the 5D I think is a bit of a bargain. Things haven't moved on that much, I reckon it will still best most cameras on the market and hold its own with the top players too.

you won't want too much more than the primes you've listed and there's always the bargain of the century with the 135 mm f2 if you want to go longer.

There is something extra with ff you don't seem to get with crop sensors, but as above, the D90 seems very capable although I know which one I'd choose.

FF is awsome but you will your pockets become very deep and your arms become very short as you push for the best glass you can get to match that FF capability,
also right now you have great credibility using the finest camera brand on the planet (Nikon) and moving to canon (spit, hiss, hiss) may mean your head turns into a donkeys head and all of your friends and family disown you... now I cant guarantee this will happen of course but I hope the fear of it will be enough to deter you... Jedi knight or Sith?? sure darth is cool but ultimately good will prevail over evil.. stick with nikon and youl go to heaven and luck will grace you at every turn move to canon and you risk a life of misery and risk of death in a freak yachting accident involving delinquent haddock... im sure most retails will provide you with a nikon d700 and your credit card will thank you for your business!

If you really need FF then go whichever way works for you, but be sure you're not moving just because it's the latest thing.

are you (excuse my frankness) following trends and moving to FF because you feel you have to?

Im certainly not following trends or moving on because I feel I have to. I realise the D90 is a better camera in 95% of areas over the 5D but IQ is the most important thing to me. I honestly can't put my finger on what it is (and as such struggle to explain it) but FF image seem to have a special quality with excellent DoF and colour rendition that I don't think can be replicated on DX sensors. Might just hold-tight until the d700 falls into my budget range (although I am guessing that will be 2-3 years).

sorry to be a really bad influence here but jessops do a 12 month pay nothing option of finance so you could have your d700 now and pay for it in 12 months and save the money for it over that time period...
iv had my d700 for 9 months and payed bugger all for it yet nikon will inevitably release an upgrade in the not to distant future and il then sell the d700 pay off any remaining debt of any due to price hikes and get the upgrade free for 12 months again... if nikon release a d700s for argument sake before xmas i could sell my 700 for near the 1500 beer tokens i paid for it clearing the debt to jessops and do it all again.... its worth a thought... you know you want it!
NAS (nikon acquisition syndrome) is a serious illness and not to be sniggered at.... now does anyone want to swap a spleen for a 300mm f4 afs?? anyone.. the spleen has one careful owner??

Well... from a prime lens point of view, Canon have some superb lenses and I think probably better than Nikon. But as a Canon user I'll admit to being ever so slightly biased, and I'm certainly not looking for a fight :)

On the other hand I really would think hard before you jump. Think in "system" terms rather than specific bodies. And I realise FF is one of the major things you want, but there's nothing magic about it, and it doesn't automatically give you better shots.

But the best advice I can think of... If you do nothing else, do *physically* get your hands on a 5D (or even a 5D mark II) just to see what it feels like. Personally I really don't like the ergonomics of Nikon and *much* prefer Canon, but that's pretty much because I'm used to them. I'd virtually guarantee that the majority of Nikon users will have entirely the opposite viewpoint.

Whatever you decide, have fun!

cheers

CyBeRkId2002, hey no offence intended. :) By the way, how much are you expecting to pay for a 5D - have you found a good used deal or a new, boxed one that's been hidden away in a shop?

I'll bet a good deal of what you see from FF is the lens as well though....

That's an excellent point Guy. Cyberkid - of the images you have seen that you know are from FF, do you know what lenses were they taken with?

Dont get me wrong, I completely appreciate the lens will make a HUGE difference, even more so than the body, but when I was considering moving to FF I have particularly looking at lenses the same as mine (paricularly the 85mm and 35mm primes) and all the shots (even ones which appear to be snapshots) taken on FF cameras (d700, 5d) seem to have a certain quality that, whilst I cannot put my finger on it, my shots seem to be lacking.

I would agree that it is definitely my ability which holds me back the most but after many, many, many hours searching this forum the people shots which make me go wow most often are from FF cameras.

On the other-hand, after a long hard think, I think it would probably be too costly (and far too much hassle) to switch systems now and I may be best waiting, and hoping, that Nikon bring out a enthusiast FF camera over the next few years.

Thanks to all for your advice (y)

CyBeRkId2002, hey no offence intended. :) By the way, how much are you expecting to pay for a 5D - have you found a good used deal or a new, boxed one that's been hidden away in a shop?

No offence taken at all, just explaining that I wasn't doing it just to follow the crowd. If I was that way inclined I would have purchased the d300 a while back when I got my D90 as 90% of people recommend it over the d90 but I know my needs and use do not demand weather/damage-proofing, dedicated buttons for everything etc. Similarly this is also one of the main reasons I have yet to venture into FF, it is just too much camera for a keen amateur like myself. If the bought out a cut down, enthusiast D700 (like the D90 is to the D300) at around the same price as the D300 (maybe a little more) I would buy it tomorrow.

I would agree that it is definitely my ability which holds me back the most but after many, many, many hours searching this forum the people shots which make me go wow most often are from FF cameras.

It has something to do with ability also composition and finding a PP style that you are comfortable with and people appreciate.

There's no reason in the world why you can't improve with what you've got. :)

I've just done exactly what you are pondering. I wanted to get a FF camera and for me a 2nd hand 5d Mk1 offered the cheapest route by far. It really is a superb camera and for £800ish 2nd hand a bit of a bargain I feel.
Yes its a bit of a hassle selling and re-buying lenses but I don't think you'll regret it. (y)

I've just done exactly what you are pondering. I wanted to get a FF camera and for me a 2nd hand 5d Mk1 offered the cheapest route by far. It really is a superb camera and for £800ish 2nd hand a bit of a bargain I feel.
Yes its a bit of a hassle selling and re-buying lenses but I don't think you'll regret it. (y)

Change your profile! :D

i went from the d80 to the d700 and it did defo improve my game, work lik a pro and you become the pro

Back