Continuous Shooting on EOS 450D

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
I use a standard, non-high speed Sandisk memory card. I started off taking JPEG large only and, with continuous shooting, the camera took 2 shots quickly, then paused before taking the third, and a similar pause before the 4th and 5th shot etc. For the past year or so, I have shot RAW+JPEG and the burst rate was similar. The stated rate for the 450D is 3.5 fps.

After doing a bit of reading around before getting the camera, my understanding was that as the camera can buffer 6 RAW or 53 JPEG in its internal memory, and I would probably not want to take more than 3 or 4 shots in succession, I figured the standard speed card would be enough.

I was wondering tonight, however, how the camera would fare in RAW mode only and, to my surprise, it seemed to take 6 shots at a constant rate, the same sort of rate I was getting for just the first two shots with the JPEG only and RAW+JPEG setting.

Now, I could understand RAW+JPEG being a bit more sluggish than JPEG only, but it seems strange to me that RAW only seems to be the fastest of the lot. Is this because there is no in-camera processing that needs to be done?

In addition, based on the fact that I don't ever tend to take more than 3 or 4 shots at a time, apart from a faster transfer time to the computer, is it worth getting a faster memory card, or would I not see any improvement?

Going forward, I am proposing to shoot RAW only anyway, as I always sift through the RAW photos and can just batch convert in DPP with the camera settings if I didn't wish to make any changes, so, would I see any improvement for a burst of 3-4 shots with a faster card?

try turning off the hi iso speed noise reduction in the custom function menu.

Thanks Chris. That worked, and now I get a continuous rate for both JPEG and RAW+JPEG, the same as I got for RAW only.

Question now is why?!

I was only on 100 ISO, so no high ISO noise reduction was necessary. I assume the speed wasn't affected on RAW only because there is no processing to the image anyway.

Next question is how on earth you found that anomally out?!

:ty:

Last edited:
Thanks Chris. That worked, and now I get a continuous rate for both JPEG and RAW+JPEG, the same as I got for RAW only.

Question now is why?!

I was only on 100 ISO, so no high ISO noise reduction was necessary. I assume the speed wasn't affected on RAW only because there is no processing to the image anyway.

Next question is how on earth you found that anomally out?!

:ty:

It's in the manual ;) Under noise reduction custom functions, inluding long exposure NR lock-up too.

Just found it! Must admit I hadn't picked up on that point, and I would have thought that would only slow it down if I was shooting at high ISO. Clearly not.

So, I am assuming that I would not really benefit from a faster card on the basis I would probably not take more than 4 shots in succession and am not worried about a faster transfer speed to my computer?

hi glad it helped. as for the fast card bit i get a max burst count of 9 in the view finder with a sandisk extreme 3 or a normal card

Thanks Chris. Doesn't sound like I need a card upgrade then. As I thought, it sounds like it's all in the buffer.

Back