Copyright

Name
Ged
Edit My Images
Yes
I live in Sunderland where, for quite a few years, we had an International Airshow at which The Red Arrows often gave displays
I got some decent pictures of them over the years but I strongly suspect that selling prints of them would be a copyright infringement.
Please can anyone let me know if my suspicions are justified.
Thanks,
Ged

Firstly AFAIK, many such public access airshows i.e. those that are not ticketed with photography restrictions in the terms of entry.

In regard to the likes of the Red Arrows and that as MoD property I don't think there is copyright protection on images of them & their displays i.e. such images can be sold by the photographer. NB I surmise there are umpteen images on stock agencies let alone on individual photographers websites being sold!

Perhaps @DemiLion knows of clarification as appropriate.

PS in a loosely related aspect, I once went to a talk by a then serving front line Army photographer and one aspect IIRC was that provided his on service pictures did not compromise security they were copyright free and were used openly by any outlet requesting them from the appropriate MoD service website.

Last edited:
Trademark is probably what I would be looking for. Back in the day getty would only offer these as RM, and I think that was for editorial use. As far as prints go this should be fine, but I would not think about using shots for some 3rd party advertising

Many thanks for all the replies. I must admit I'm pleasantly surprised!

I live in Sunderland where, for quite a few years, we had an International Airshow at which The Red Arrows often gave displays
I got some decent pictures of them over the years but I strongly suspect that selling prints of them would be a copyright infringement.
Please can anyone let me know if my suspicions are justified.
Thanks,
Ged

not very clear, did you take the pictures or did you buy them from elsewhere. If you took them them you own the copyright . If you didn't and reproduce them then it is an infrinement of copyright. If you really did want to copy someone elses artwork then you need to contact them (or if dead the estate to whom it was left) and get permission in writing to reproduce and may cost.

My late manageress ,since passed away, had this when somone copied her photos as line drawings , it nearly went to court for compensation. the peson who copied paid a substantial sum in the end

Last edited:
Back