Cosford 2016

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Here are a few of my efforts from this year's show. I struggled with the light through the day and ended up leaving just after the Red Arrows so nothing from the later planes on display. I've got loads to edit but here are a couple I've had a look at so far. All taken with Sigma 150-600 handheld.

AT6 Trainer

AT6 Trainer by Matt, on Flickr

A109 Helicopter

A109 at Cosford Airshow by Matt, on Flickr

MIG 15

Mig 15 by Matt, on Flickr

Typhoon

Typhoon by Matt, on Flickr

The first and last are my favorites out of a superb quality set, lovely and sharp with great color, very well done.

Thanks Steve, appreciate the comments. The grey flat skies were a real pain but I was pleased with how these came out.

The Mig was awesome - amazed what a small compact jet it seemed and how quiet it was in the air. First time I've seen one fly and it was a real treat.

Matt,
Great shots! And was looking at your other shots on Flickr...OMG...all just superb!! Love some of the landscapes and the zoo animals.

Wow lovely set I use the same lens on a 5d mk3 and use the sigma tele converter aswell haven't looked at my images yet but I hoping they come out well

Did you have much post processing to do on these and what gear do you use

Thanks for the comments. Photos were taken on a Nikon D500 using a Sigma 150-600 handheld. What I've put here and Flickr are the ones I'm happy to show, probably about 10 I'm happy with from about 800 shots on the day.

Did you have much post processing to do on these and what gear do you use

In terms of post processing I find the grey skies I always seem to get at Cosford a real pain so end up twiddling sliders in Lightroom until I find something I like (sorry it's not more scientific than than). Most of my adjustments are trying to find an exposure balance that works for me and then a bit cropping and sharpening. One tool I do use a lot though is Nik Effects plugin (which is now free amazingly) and the Polarisation and Pro Contrast filters. I've put the original of 2 of the shots here to show the degree of editing.

PrePP-1-2 by Matt, on Flickr

PrePP-1 by Matt, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. Photos were taken on a Nikon D500 using a Sigma 150-600 handheld. What I've put here and Flickr are the ones I'm happy to show, probably about 10 I'm happy with from about 800 shots on the day.

In terms of post processing I find the grey skies I always seem to get at Cosford a real pain so end up twiddling sliders in Lightroom until I find something I like (sorry it's not more scientific than than). Most of my adjustments are trying to find an exposure balance that works for me and then a bit cropping and sharpening. One tool I do use a lot though is Nik Effects plugin (which is now free amazingly) and the Polarisation and Pro Contrast filters. I've put the original of 2 of the shots here to show the degree of editing.

I also use the sharpening tool in nik and also use full photoshop for my editing

Do you shoot raw by any chance I found my images come out better when in raw but still something I find is missing

I also use the sharpening tool in nik and also use full photoshop for my editing

Do you shoot raw by any chance I found my images come out better when in raw but still something I find is missing

Yes - shoot in raw, most processing in Lightroom for general adjustments with Photoshop for anything specific.

love that last shot of the typhoon. can you share your settings? aperture and iso?

Apperture f7.1 Shutter 1/1600 ISO250 @ 600mm

I was using Auto ISO mode with a bit of exposure compensation. My basic thinking was to stop down the lens a bit form wide open (f6.3 on my Sigma) to keep it sharp, get a high shutter speed for the jets as no need to blur the props, then let the camera take care of the ISO. Looking at that now probably had a bit more room to play with aperture / shutter as I'd have been happy with ISO's up to 1600 or so.

Love the pic of the chopper (very menacing) and the typhoon - especially the non-cropped version (more space for the typhoon).

Back