Cotswold Airport 747s at night

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
A few from the Threshold Aero event on Saturday evening:

A9B00351-2 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

A9A07891-3 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Shooting a star trail shot with (literally) 100+ others around you faffing about with head torches, AF assist beams and phones is quite possibly the most challenging/frustrating thing I've ever done. 90 minutes of shots but ended up with about 20 minutes of usable ones. Ultimately my own decision to give it a shot and I'm pleased I did even if the results aren't perfect, but yeah, not easy!

A9747-2 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

And a bonus few of other things knocking around:

A9B00219 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

A9A08017 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Ultimately I'm a bit conflicted with these types of events, great if it wasn't for other people (I very much keep myself to myself, but oh my overhearing/seeing the attitude of some is truly shocking!) What I did like about this one is that it wasn't just served up on a plate for you, I've done a few with another company and it's literally 'here's a shot, then we move to this shot' etc etc, shooting fish in a barrel stuff as long as you can point a camera at it. This however was a proper good challenge (as, quite frankly, shooting three 747s at night should be) but boy oh boy did a significant minority really not like that.

Interesting.
I live in Cheltenham and only found out about this event after it had happened. I've never attended an event of this nature but last week I was about to book a ticket to photograph the Vulcan at Wellesborne. Ultimately I didn't, put off by images I could find in their gallery showing the event with photographers stood 4 deep around the subject.
I'd love the opportunity but....
Nice shots BTW!

Great set, what are the white lines across No3?

Interesting.
I live in Cheltenham and only found out about this event after it had happened. I've never attended an event of this nature but last week I was about to book a ticket to photograph the Vulcan at Wellesborne. Ultimately I didn't, put off by images I could find in their gallery showing the event with photographers stood 4 deep around the subject.
I'd love the opportunity but....
Nice shots BTW!

Although similar from the outside looking in, Timeline and Threshold events are VERY different. Timeline (the Vulcan shoot) put together 'scenes', almost always with actors in positions, smoke machines, fog etc. You're then given 5-10 minutes to shoot that scene before moving onto their next prescribed scene. I've tried to shoot their events in a candid kinda way but ultimately you're limited by what they've set up for you. Very cool shots possible, but you're all going to get roughly the same. Here's one from the same venue with them:

Kemble by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Threshold is very different, very subtle lighting that gives you enough to work with but isn't on a plate for you. We literally rocked up, had a briefing and then had 2.5 hours to go where you like (within set boundaries) and do what you like. Aside from the Pitts Special starting up right at the end, I spent the whole time alone doing as I pleased.

No I meant the triangular trails from the cockpit area? On the right hand side?

Other planes flying around, might be some shooting stars in their too as I saw a few.

Lovely shots Chris. I particularly like number four. Its a shame it sounds a bit like a scrum and can't see myself ever going to something like this but I suppose all this only makes your pictures more special as in spite of the conditions you got good pictures. Well taken Chris :D

A few from the Threshold Aero event on Saturday evening:

A9B00351-2 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

A9A07891-3 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Shooting a star trail shot with (literally) 100+ others around you faffing about with head torches, AF assist beams and phones is quite possibly the most challenging/frustrating thing I've ever done. 90 minutes of shots but ended up with about 20 minutes of usable ones. Ultimately my own decision to give it a shot and I'm pleased I did even if the results aren't perfect, but yeah, not easy!

A9747-2 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

And a bonus few of other things knocking around:

A9B00219 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

A9A08017 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Ultimately I'm a bit conflicted with these types of events, great if it wasn't for other people (I very much keep myself to myself, but oh my overhearing/seeing the attitude of some is truly shocking!) What I did like about this one is that it wasn't just served up on a plate for you, I've done a few with another company and it's literally 'here's a shot, then we move to this shot' etc etc, shooting fish in a barrel stuff as long as you can point a camera at it. This however was a proper good challenge (as, quite frankly, shooting three 747s at night should be) but boy oh boy did a significant minority really not like that.

"Excellent" set of low light aviation style captures Chris, liking this set of pic's very much.

Although similar from the outside looking in, Timeline and Threshold events are VERY different. Timeline (the Vulcan shoot) put together 'scenes', almost always with actors in positions, smoke machines, fog etc. You're then given 5-10 minutes to shoot that scene before moving onto their next prescribed scene. I've tried to shoot their events in a candid kinda way but ultimately you're limited by what they've set up for you. Very cool shots possible, but you're all going to get roughly the same. Here's one from the same venue with them:

Kemble by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Threshold is very different, very subtle lighting that gives you enough to work with but isn't on a plate for you. We literally rocked up, had a briefing and then had 2.5 hours to go where you like (within set boundaries) and do what you like. Aside from the Pitts Special starting up right at the end, I spent the whole time alone doing as I pleased.

"Cracking" low light aviation style capture Chris, pushes all the right buttons for me.

Lovely shots Chris. I particularly like number four. Its a shame it sounds a bit like a scrum and can't see myself ever going to something like this but I suppose all this only makes your pictures more special as in spite of the conditions you got good pictures. Well taken Chris :D

Despite being very nervous when I saw the number of cars arriving this was actually ok in terms of space to do your own thing. Three 747s spread out is quite a distance, so there was never any issue with getting the spot you wanted. The prescribed scenes at other events are where it gets tricky, as you're all literally after the same spot and some people spend an awful long time hogging them!

The only problem here (apart from some very rude folk, but that can happen anywhere) was a lack of awareness with lights (be that phones, head torches - even a flash, thankfully only once!), but that's hard to avoid when there are so many of you, and again that was more of an issue for me personally as I was trying to do a star trail shot, not so bad when you just lose one 30 second shot as you can go again.

Back