Couriers that allow Cameras inc Batteries?

Name
Karl
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys, just wondering what people do for shipping their sold gear? Normally I use RM 1pm special service, but seems they’ve updated their excluded items for compensation. Stating no “electronic devices sent with OR containing batteries (including mobile phones, digital cameras…)”.

I’m sure it didn’t always say this?. Which leaves me wondering what to do, as it seems the other main couriers also exclude devices with batteries.

What do you guys do?

3ACD8C2D-1DCB-479E-BE09-6C6C0C769878.jpeg

Last edited:
wow, wonder if DPD insure there stuff ????? I sent them a camera and lens and DPD picked it up from my home, if they did not get it I wonder what would happen.

wow, wonder if DPD insure there stuff ????? I sent them a camera and lens and DPD picked it up from my home, if they did not get it I wonder what would happen.
Its crazy, I wonder how many are buying shipping that don’t know it isn’t covered.
Just looked at DHL who also allow batteries. But it’s the same deal £70.
Seems they want your money but don’t want the liability.

At this point it rules out selling online unless the buyer is local or prepared to travel.
BD4CCA45-C841-47BD-9B37-E666E7DE704A.jpeg

Last edited:
Doesn't say you can't send them, just that they won't be insured, send the batteries in a separate delivery and it should be fine.

NB I find the mobile phone exclusion to be risible as you could never send a mobile phone anywhere because you can't usually remove the battery.

Last edited:
Doesn't say you can't send them, just that they won't be insured, send the batteries in a separate delivery and it should be fine.
Yeah this looks like it’s going to be the only option from now on. Sad.

I seem to recall that Royal Mail will allow batteries - one fitted in the camera plus two spares. But I don't think you can send batteries on their own!

Its crazy, I wonder how many are buying shipping that don’t know it isn’t covered.

I bought medical travel insurance for a [motorcycle] holiday and when I got home (safely) I subsequently found that they didn't cover bikes over 125cc; the clause excluding larger bikes was on page 44 of the small print. When I queried this they said they couldn't include everything on the first page; there was an embarrassed silence when I suggested that if they are selling travel insurance, the method of travel would seem to be pretty important. Never used them again.

I seem to recall that Royal Mail will allow batteries - one fitted in the camera plus two spares. But I don't think you can send batteries on their own!

If they know ;)

It's ridiculous, I get stuff with batteries in delivered all the time, sometimes I actually just order batteries!

NB I find the mobile phone exclusion to be risible as you could never send a mobile phone anywhere because you can't usually remove the battery.
If someone handling any claim knows what their talking about, and is feeling officious they could point out that even with the main battery removed a digital camera still contains it's backup battery - so any claim would technically be invalid :(

They don’t, it’s in their exclusions see the screen shot above. I think this has recently been updated. Now It clearly states no electronic devices sent with OR containing batteries. Only option really is to send the battery separately without cover, or with a different courier to the main camera. So this would mean send the camera minus batteries with RM for £16.49 and the batteries with DHL or DPD. Crazy.

I tried orderind some batterys recently and was notified that they couldn't ship them. Anybody know why that is?

If you go back to the page where you took a screenshot and click on 'Batteries' in red you might see more info.

Batteries, specifically new and used lithium batteries when not sent with or connected to an electronic device (including power banks)

• International – not allowed in the mail
  • UK – not allowed in the mail

I think people are confusing what RM will ship and what they will cover for compensation on Special delivery.

You can send batteries connected to a device with RM but it looks like they are no longer covered by the Special Delivery compensation.

A true story from the 1970s.

I was in the Air Force, at a station in Northern Ireland, and the police phoned up and asked to speak to a Sergeant, let's call him, X. Sgt X was asked to go to the local Royal Mail depot as soon as possible and when he turned up, he found that the entire depot had been evacuated and bomb disposal people were there too. They had found a parcel addressed to his wife which was making clicking noises -- this being during the Troubles, it was a very big deal. When they contacted his wife, she said she was not expecting anything and gave them her husbands name and location. Sgt X was asked if he had sent a parcel to his wife and he had to admit that he had. They asked him if the parcel in the middle of the floor was the parcel, he admitted it was. They asked him to open it and with some embarrassment he open the parcel to reveal a lovely pink vibrator that had accidentally activated, hence the noise. He was fortunate they didn't actually prosecute but they were probably too busy laughing. He was invited to remove the batteries and resend the parcel -- he didn't, he took it with him the next time he went home on leave.

Perhaps, historically, this is the reason why Royal Mail don't allow batteries in parcels ;)

I think people are confusing what RM will ship and what they will cover for compensation on Special delivery.

You can send batteries connected to a device with RM but it looks like they are no longer covered by the Special Delivery compensation.
This is exactly it, I’m sure it used to be covered, or the wording wasn’t as specific as it is now.

I’ve found UPS don’t mention batteries or electronics of any kind in their “compensation” exclusions. Been quoted £16 with 1k cover. Which is more like it.

Feel like I’m missing something tho with other couriers wanting £70.

I would just send it RMSD your overthinking it

and should RM misplace my parcel?
If they misplace it, they can't know it had batteries in it and if they subsequently find it, they are unlikely to check if it had batteries in it. Seems to me, the only way they will know if it had batteries in it is if it actually bursts into flames and the odds of that happening in a modern, quality, battery are slim to none.

I think ParcelForce accept cameras with battery but you may need to pay for extra insurance due to the value

If I read that packaging advice correctly you can send the camera with up to 3 lithium batteries as long as they are individually wrapped to prevent a short circuit ..
They used to advice that batteries were inserted in the device or charger that seems to be the only change

I sold my GRIII last week. I told the lady at the PO counter it was a camera with a battery. She was fine and just asked me to send it 48hr Tracked/signed. I can’t remember if it was £500 or £1000 insurance (something at the back of my mind says £500 ). I think I paid £9 something.

last time I ordered a battery from china it came hidden in thisP1051791.JPGed in the

As far as I understand courier companies like DPD etc will only cover electronics+batteries for companies and not private/individual sellers. And even if they do cover they charge silly amounts for the cover.

The only one I am aware of that covers sending batteries with the device is RM and may be parcel force.

I think they insist on battery being inside or factory wrapped in original shrink-wrap packaging, i.e. no used loose spares etc. That's what they told me in the po rather unambiguously so I had to leave out any spares from the thing I sold last month.

Reactions: nog
They don’t, it’s in their exclusions see the screen shot above. I think this has recently been updated. Now It clearly states no electronic devices sent with OR containing batteries. Only option really is to send the battery separately without cover, or with a different courier to the main camera. So this would mean send the camera minus batteries with RM for £16.49 and the batteries with DHL or DPD. Crazy.
I sent a camera with a battery included just last week by RMSD and I declared it to the counter staff, who double-checked their operating procedures and accepted it.

I think they insist on battery being inside or factory wrapped in original shrink-wrap packaging, i.e. no used loose spares etc. That's what they told me in the po rather unambiguously so I had to leave out any spares from the thing I sold last month.
You been post one in the camera and up to two extra spares with the camera with royal mail. So 3 batteries in total.
It's on the RM websites T&Cs.

The number of batteries or cells allowed in each package must not exceed the appropriate number to power the equipment plus 2 spares

Last edited:
Back