Covehithe, Suffolk

Thats stunning... love the PP that you have done, the whole image looks almost futuristic :love::love:

Striking image. Makes you wonder how long that's been shuffled around by the tide to end up like that.

Is the sky desaturated? Looks unnatural somehow.Not sure about that.

When looking at the full size version it's massively over sharpened though (or maybe masking error s from the sky processing), with distinct halos around the driftwood. Back off on the sharpening (if that's what it was, or refine your masking technique if it was that), it's not necessary and is ruining the quality of the full size image. I'm wondering if this needed much processing at all. I think the subject is powerful enough to not need embellishment.

Last edited:
Striking image. Makes you wonder how long that's been shuffled around by the tide to end up like that.

Is the sky desaturated? Looks unnatural somehow.Not sure about that.

When looking at the full size version it's massively over sharpened though (or maybe masking error s from the sky processing), with distinct halos around the driftwood. Back off on the sharpening (if that's what it was, or refine your masking technique if it was that), it's not necessary and is ruining the quality of the full size image. I'm wondering if this needed much processing at all. I think the subject is powerful enough to not need embellishment.

Thanks David for your input.

Yes the sky is desaturated.
Can you give some tips on sharpening / masking techniques? I'm not entirely sure on the process when using both ACR and PS. I generally sharpen in PS however but not overly familiar with masking techniques.

Much prefer the first of the re-edits. Sky far more realistic and more dramatic for it... and all haloing gone... nice, clean.. great image! Maybe a touch more contrast... just a wee tweak of the bottom of the curve to deepen the dark areas a tad and that would be pretty much perfect IMO.

Much prefer the first of the re-edits. Sky far more realistic and more dramatic for it... and all haloing gone... nice, clean.. great image! Maybe a touch more contrast... just a wee tweak of the bottom of the curve to deepen the dark areas a tad and that would be pretty much perfect IMO.

Cheers David.
Actually spent an hour or so reading a few articles on sharpening techniques using ACR and PS.
Is there any preference for either programme and for any particular reason? I've always used PS unsharp or high pass filter. Seems ACR works just fine.

I use lightroom, so out of those two, I'd use ACR. You're working on the raw file, although for sharpening working in photoshop with a TIFF isn't costing you anything, but do as much global processing (levels, curves, contrast that kind of thing) at the raw level as it's reversible. ALso, if you use a lot of processing, you have greater latitude to correct exposure mistakes or just make large adjustments for effect.

Back