Crazy Prices.

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Last month i popped into jessops to see what they had in their lens cabinet just for a little window shopping and saw that they had the Sigma 50-500mm priced at £699.
ive been tempted by this lens for about a year now and after a bit more thinking i decided to bite the bullet,

i walked in there at the weekend and its now priced at over £1000!! wtf?

whats going on with the market? is there any chance of it going back down again?

im thinking of buying it second hand but in the second hand market they are starting to reach between 6oo and 700, and with sigma being a bit inconsistant im worried about buying second hand :help:

It's the exchange rates between the pound and th yen - they are not good.
The pound has dropped 40% or therabouts so prices have risen accordingly.

It may go nown once the economy begins to recover...

Where have you been hiding??

The prices have been rising since Christmas. The halving of the pound against the Yen over the last year is the main dirver I think. All camera equipment has gone the same way and shows no sign of reversing for the time being.

It's all good if you're selling second hand kit but a bit of a bummer if you're buying anything :(

Last month i popped into jessops to see what they had in their lens cabinet just for a little window shopping and saw that they had the Sigma 50-500mm priced at £699.
ive been tempted by this lens for about a year now and after a bit more thinking i decided to bite the bullet,

i walked in there at the weekend and its now priced at over £1000!! wtf?

whats going on with the market? is there any chance of it going back down again?

im thinking of buying it second hand but in the second hand market they are starting to reach between 6oo and 700, and with sigma being a bit inconsistant im worried about buying second hand :help:

Prices may have been rising since Xmas ,but , for something to hike up in price by £300!!!!!!!! in a month is just a total rip off .No wonder Jessops are closing all there stores ,do they think we're stupid !!!!

Prices may have been rising since Xmas ,but , for something to hike up in price by £300!!!!!!!! in a month is just a total rip off .No wonder Jessops are closing all there stores ,do they think we're stupid !!!!

These price rises are across the board, not only at Jessops. The sigma 50-500 is £1048.99 at Warehouse Express.

Common sense needed.

Jessops had stock purchased a year ago so they continue to sell it at the price they were charging a year ago.

The stock runs out so they have to buy new stock with up to about a 75% increase in the cost from Japan, they're going to pass that cost along.

If you look on camera price buster you can see the shops jump from the cheapest to the most expensive as they run out and have to buy at the new prices

I agree with all of the above comments, but still think that we're being right royally ripped off in this country for photographic equipment, say compared to the state, I understand thanks to this government the £1 has died. Its was £1 - $1.85, now its £1 - $1.4, similar with the Yen which is a 25% drop but shops are making the most of the prices increases for these items.

And the secondhand market has gone the same way. But its all down to supply and demand, not a great deal of stock, but lots of demand for new and old items.

Peter

agree the prices should be decreasing in jan one pound could buy 120 yen now it can buy 150yen can anyone explain this the shops will say it will take time to adjust, but they seem to alter prices quicker in one direction than the other :(

£943 for the 24-105 F/4L :O

Might sell mine :D

Surely this could put them out of business before the recession has blown over, everytime i go into or walk past Jessops, they're virtually empty.

Common sense needed.

Jessops had stock purchased a year ago so they continue to sell it at the price they were charging a year ago.

The stock runs out so they have to buy new stock with up to about a 75% increase in the cost from Japan, they're going to pass that cost along.

If you look on camera price buster you can see the shops jump from the cheapest to the most expensive as they run out and have to buy at the new prices

Spot on. :)

Here's the point the economists miss. 6 months ago the 14-24mm and 24-70mm Nikons were under a grand best price. Now at £1200 plus, it will make people think twice about their purchase, especially if they are worried about their jobs.
So the economy goes down the tubes.

So because of the exchange rates the prices rocket, (see recent reports of food price inflation is back) and the old bank of England raise interest rates to control inflation (5-7% expected in 2 years), more businesses go bust, house prices go through the floor, but eventually the currency begins to rise and imports prices fall.

Only snag is that by then unemployment hits 3-4m, house repossessions at record levels, economy nose dives.

Hence the Chancellor predicting recovery end of this year is living in a world that is clearly on a different planet from us.

Good news if you are a saver as your rates will return (if the banks pass them on).

Bad news if:
1. You own a business.
2. You work in a business.
3. You own a house.
4. You have any kind of debt at all.

The G20 was incredible. I wanted to take them into a football pitch to the chant; 'you don't know what you are doing!'

If anyone says they know when things will improve, ask them for this weeks lottery numbers!

Enough of the rant......hope it does not depress you too much!!

My daughter went into Jessops to get her passport photographs today and that cost £7 !!!
I had mine done last month and it cost £6... I asked why the above inflation rise and they said you now get 6 photographs instead of 4!!
Who needs 6 photos? I think Jessops marketing people need to look at what is happening on the high street or they will go Woolies up.
Unfortunately there is no other place where I live to get passport photos otherwise I would have gone elsewhere.(maybe that's why they charge so much?).

agree the prices should be decreasing in jan one pound could buy 120 yen now it can buy 150yen can anyone explain this the shops will say it will take time to adjust, but they seem to alter prices quicker in one direction than the other :(

Because they have to wait for someone to buy the stock they bought when there was 120 yen to the pound before they can buy new stock with the 150 yen to the pound. Shows you have to shop around to get old/new stock depending on the state of the exchange rate.

Top tip.. buy the 5D MKII + 24-105 kit, and sell on the 24-105 for a healthy profit :D
(24-105 works out at about £550 when bought with the 5D MKII)

I bought the Bigma for £650 1 year ago and am now thinking of selling for £750 maybe!:)

could make a tidy profit if i sold my 10-22, 50 1.4 and 24-105L :D but that would be :nuts: of me

No - the items are made in japan.

So they IMPORT the parts, so for the company they are now more expensive to make. A 30% rise in raw material costs will correlate to an even higher final price increase as they want to maintain margins.

Also, as their currency is weaker EVERYTHING is more expensive for them - and they make less profit on sales overseas.

While a weak Yen may be good in theory - prices are only going to reduce if there is competition from OUTSIDE Japan - and there is not - so they will keep margin and ensure profitability from their lens business.

So don't expect any improvements any time soon.

Their printer business may sacrifice margin, as these are produced outside japan. Printer sales drive the high margin cartridge business, so they may even sell these at a loss.

Jessop's put £100 on any lenses they sell. Yesterday I bit the bullet and bought a Sigma 10-20 new for £369, in a shop of all places. Jessop's want £469 for the same lens.

I got it from Microglobe, near oxford street. Nice friendly chap in the shop who also knocked £10 off a Sigma filter for it.

Its a buyers market if you do your homework and avoid Jessop's.

Jessop's put £100 on any lenses they sell. Yesterday I bit the bullet and bought a Sigma 10-20 new for £369, in a shop of all places. Jessop's want £469 for the same lens.

I got it from Microglobe, near oxford street. Nice friendly chap in the shop who also knocked £10 off a Sigma filter for it.

Yeah, I thought the same thing when I bought the Sigma 24-70 from Microglobe. It turned out to be a grey import.

When I look at camerapricebuster, against some of the shops it has listed 'Check for grey imports'

How are you meant to do that before purchasing, either online or in a shop?

Haha.. no, they really don't. Profit margins are nowhere near that good.

When i was shopping last week one dealer told me Sigma have only had one price increase, Canon have had two - maybe you should buy it now !

I tried to order a 5D mk2 + 24-105mm L lens kit today, not only is out of stock everywhere (I phoned just about every camera store in the land), but it seems the price is going up too. Average price curently advertised is about £2600, a few places have told me when stock comes in it will be £2700 :(

i was talking to one of the shop assistants in jessops on that day and he told me that a few weeks back a man came in to look at a 500mm f4 priced at £4.5k he went away had a chat with his wife, came back 3 days later to buy it and the price had gone up to over £7k apparrently, however gutting!

A good friend of mine has just purchased a brand spanking nikon 500mm f4 vr lens, he enquired about one just after Christmas from Warehouse express, they were out of stock and he was 12th on the list of potential buyers, price was £4195 then, its now going for £5600, they offered it to him at the original enquiry price, so he felt he couldn't refuse at that. He could own it a year and still potentially get all his cash back and some more !!
He's now very happy and i'm very jealous ;)

Dean

Back