Crazy Wedding Photographers :D

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Some people are CRAZY!!http://www.videobycarol.com/Home_Page/MissionNotImpossible.html - This is the worst intrusion I've ever seen!:clap:

then I saw this..... http://www.videobycarol.com/Home_Page/BusyBeePhotographers.html
The end is a classic! :bonk:

Then there is the friend who thinks he's a great photographer might have great images but he's ruined the video!! Always be aware of the videographer

http://www.videobycarol.com/Home_Page/GroomObstruction.html :bang:

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

I'd love to see this only the links are broken :)

Only ever filmed two weddings and I think both times I was probably more of a problem for the photographer than the other way around.

:razz:

Only ever filmed two weddings and I think both times I was probably more of a problem for the photographer than the other way around.

:razz:

The photographer standing in the aisle... what a tool! :thumbsdown:

LOL That would have set the videos off a treat. The second one I can understand (with the funny ending), she was running 4 cameras, so the photographers were bound to be captured alot.

From the photographer's perspective:

When I've shot weddings, I've been very conscious of the videographer, in fact working together (sharing lights and angles and such) whenever possible. That said, I've found that an even 75% of the videographers I've worked with would throw me under the bus to get their shots.

During the worst experience, the videographer wanted stills to encorporate into the video. Instead of working with me to use my images (which I would have gladly provided at no cost) she actually set her single video camera on a tripod (which she never touched the entire ceremony), and photographed everything with a huge digital SLR and flash. (Note that the officiant had stressed that no flash was allowed during the ceremony.) She completely prevented me from getting several the shots the bride and groom expected me to get. She stood in front of me in the aisle, stood on a riser DIRECTLY BEHIND the groomsmen, and stepped in front of me just before the kiss. My shots of the couple's send-off features the videographer's ass front and center, no way around it.

There was no way to prevent these huge problems, as she showed up late and I couldn't get to her to communicate the issues. After the ceremony, she actually started shooting my natural-light formal shots with a flash over my shoulder. I had to say something to her at that point. I wish I could say she stopped, but she didn't.

The important thing to remember is that the bride and groom will almost certainly have a preference as to which they feel is more important. If the video is more important, I would defer to the videographer when necessary. However, most of the people who are willing to pay my rates (starting at $9000 US) strongly favor still shots. That was the case with the situation I described above (the videographer was a last-minute addition who was paid $500). Here in the States, the video (if there is one at all) is typically not nearly as important to the couple as the album and stills.

In the case of the "media blitz" video, the videographer has pointed out that the couple liked it. If they hired the photographer based on close-up shots like the ones they are shooting in this example, then it's highly unlikely the photographer is going to be able to stay out of the videographer's way. A paid photographer MUST get the shots the couple expect from him/her to avoid problems later.

Sorry for the rant, but it certainly goes both ways.

- CJ

I must say I've had some terrible experiences of video togs at weddings. I've worked with some very professional ones, but in the main they tend to be the former. All too often they're friends or acquaintances of the couple who have a low end camera and have no clue about how to present a properly edited video. All that's perfectly understandable, but when they start to impede the shots the couple are paying good money for it gets way beyond a joke.

some while ago somebody posted a topic on the plastic thingie on top of the flash, anybody got that on internet for me, i might buy it :)

some while ago somebody posted a topic on the plastic thingie on top of the flash, anybody got that on internet for me, i might buy it :)

It's a Gary Fong Lightsphere. Works fairly well, although I will always go to any length to scrape up enough available light to go without.

- CJ

It's a Gary Fong Lightsphere. Works fairly well, although I will always go to any length to scrape up enough available light to go without.

- CJ

Ah cheers, i seem to have to problems purchasing it since i cant find any dutch stores that offer it, but i found this website, and this one is for the 430ex as it says....
http://www.reductionmall.com/p18-50..._II_Inverted_Dome_Flash_Diffusion_System.html

does anybody now any good and cheap stores i can get it from? kenko mayb?

never mind, i might order it from his own website :p

Lightsphere-II CLOUD w/DVD: LS-Cloud, Size C3 (see table)
**NEW AMBERDOME™

A lightsphere cloud C3 for my 430ex, and a amberdome for the romantic warm indoor shots :)

I bought the clear LSII a while back. The lightshphere works pretty well in my opinion. Not saying it's the best but it does a decent job.

Aren't lightsphere's supposed to be bounced or pointed straight at the subject? If so why are the togs in the first video firing flash straight into the sky?

I thought that's how the lightsphere was supposed to be used (Haven't got one myself).

I was confused as to why one photographer was pointing his lightsphere right AT the subject. Surely that just negates the point of having it on in the first place?

They must give the same effect as a stofen thats tilted?? thats what I use. I guess its just a way of softening fill in flash???

Pointing up gives just a little pop of light into the shadow areas and giving a catchlight. This is how I use it outdoors.

Pointing straight with the dome on gives a stronger effect but is still quite a soft light - similar to the sto-fen but better as it's bigger.

heck, that's one heck of an advert for the fongbong cistern float light diffuser.
Outside, and always in-fill flash.. typically over the top DPreview people, they must be, no idea how to meter for natural light I guess. Pfft

The clearly show Zero respect for any of the people at that weddiing.
I bet they do marbled effect backdrop fraternity pics too, if you ask nicely.

Stuff the videographer - you're there to do a job. It's a Still Photographer's DUTY to ruin the Video!!!

You should have seen the fights me and Paul had in Afghanistan as we got in each other's shots - under fire as well - Terry Taliban must have thought we were nuts...

Back