Critique: Andover Hawk Conservancy

Name
Ryan
Edit My Images
Yes
I've started to process some photo's from today but the light was shocking, the inflight shots were bumped up to ISO6400 and shutter speeds upto 1250 to try get some colour in so will take a tad more work so a few simple ones to start....

1. Troy the Tawny Owl
troy.jpg

Troy is a real character with his own following over on Facebook, a handsome little fellow indeed that I hope have done justice with the crop.

2. Not sure on this one?
IMG_3500.jpg

I love the Snow Owls but they're a bugger to capture, not sure on this one with the background but for some reason keep getting drawn back to it.

3. Vulture, incoming...
vulture.jpg

OK, not by any means a good composition but gives a good idea how close they get, I tried a couple of times to get them coming straight at but they kept flying to close to focus lol, sorry for the gents head in shot lol.

4. Burrowing Owl
IMG_3545.jpg

These guys are just too cute and weigh nothing on your hand, this little chappie has a habbit of jumping onto peoples heads rather than their hands!

Last edited:
Nice shots. Didn't seem to be many there.

The Snowy Owl is a good shot given that there is thick wire on the cage. How did you manage to 'clear out' the wire?

John

The snow owl looks strange I think because of the angle of the head.
The first owl shot, try, there's a slight light line in the black in line with the right eye. Did you miss a bit in processing?

I love the last shot - really nice.

Thanks for posting. Another place added to my list of places to go.

The slightly dark Tawny Owl plus black surround of the quite effective, makes it look a lot less like just another day-time shot (y)

Geoff

byker,

The Hawk Conservancy Trust is a good place to go. Try to get there say 10.30, look round the displays, then watch the flying in the lower field at 11.45. A bit of a break until the big flying in the large field at 2pm. There is another owl flying at 3.15. A full day.

John

Thanks for the comments, the Snowy was being held so no wire to contend with although was so close I had to lay on my back on the chairs as was to close lol.

For the first flying session there were only three of us there so we all got to hold the snowy and the burrowing owl as they flew back, it's surpriseing how light they were!

Will have another look at the first one and try remove the line, thanks for pointing it out.

Well the 7D certainly handled the high ISO Ryan (must get one :D)

The Tawny is spot on, but being hypercritical there are a few stray feathers (fine wisps) that you could lose?

Great snowy too! not sure the "blown" background does it real justice though ?

The Vulture is a miserable looking b*****d :D
Shame about the clipped wings and background though.

Burrowing owl, nice pose but I'd be tempted to boost the levels a tad to bring it out even further?

(sorry you asked now ain't ya' :LOL:)
Nice set mate (y)

I haven't got around to the others which were higher and harder and need a lot more pp lol but it didn't do bad :D

Nice set mate (y)

Never sorry I asked, if I didn't want honest opinions they wouldn't be posted (y) I'll have a play and post revised when I get a chance :)

Dawn, thank you :)

byker,

The Hawk Conservancy Trust is a good place to go. Try to get there say 10.30, look round the displays, then watch the flying in the lower field at 11.45. A bit of a break until the big flying in the large field at 2pm. There is another owl flying at 3.15. A full day.

John

Cheers - we're off to the Gloucester Owl place end of feb, so this is on the list as well as soon as I get a free weekend.

Cobra said:

The Tawny is spot on, but being hypercritical there are a few stray feathers (fine wisps) that you could lose?

Great snowy too! not sure the "blown" background does it real justice though ?

The Vulture is a miserable looking b*****d :D
Shame about the clipped wings and background though.

Burrowing owl, nice pose but I'd be tempted to boost the levels a tad to bring it out even further?

Nice set mate (y)

Seeing as I'm new, what do you mean by boost levels?? Thanks ;)

Sent from my iPhone using TP Forums

Back