Critique: Lighting, Backdrop....cute kid.

EdinburghGary

Reply not Report
Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
experimental.jpg

Second, less contrasty:
experimental2.jpg

Taken this morning, and using the setup I described here:
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=248222

More or less out of camera, a few tweaks using layers. Plenty more to check through, will do another time!

C&C appreciated. I'm unsure on the contrast, it's very strong.

Gary.

Last edited:
The contrast is too strong for me, Gary. Not massively keen on the floating chair either...and I don't think the lighting works for the subject.

I do very much like the idea and the framing though.

Cheers guys,

Floor lighting and less contrast - I will see what I can cook up :D

G.

I think something between the 2... possibly too much space and not sure about the lighting. Now this may be as white is the traditional backing for kids, so whenever you sees something different it looks wrong even though it isnt.

Sorry Gary.

I'm normally a fan of your work but this isn't doing it for me. The landscape orientation with the bear looked really good. I expressed my concern about using a real model at the time and unfortunately it looks as I suspected it would. The black is too overpowering for a young happy child. It may work with the right pose and clothes for a moody gothic teenager though.

Keep thinking away from white but I suspect the customer won't be as easily convinced that it's had it's day.

Andy

I love the background colour and gradient and the whole setup/idea but the chair does look like it's floating. I reckon all that's needed is the slightest visible shadow cast from the chair legs - just enough to be seen so as to eliminate the floating chair issue.

:)

I also think this is probably something that will work much better with kids wearing lighter coloured clothes.

Cheers guys,

This was bolted on to the end of a white sesh...did some on natural wooden floor too. I will post a set when complete :)

Gary.

Eliminate the 'floating' chair, and shoot it a bit tighter in landscape with the space at the right, and it's a winner.... the colours in No 1 work far better for me... No 2 looks a very dull and insipid.

The chair is not completly floating, it does have some blue and faint shadow around its legs - or am I imagining it

Yeah, it's not actually floating at all, but cropping up from the bottom would help this illusion considerably I think....

I like strong lighting and prefer the first one, but think a subtle backlight added would give a pleasing separation to the subject from the backgound & possibly illuminate the floor a little.

Well, I really like this. There is a lot of black though, but I love the way the backdrop is subtly lit.

I checked your link to your original thread, but couldn't find the lighting setup which you said you described.
Please could I ask what the lighting setup was for this?

Gary - this isnt doing it for me. The SOOC is dark and the edit makes the wee boy look grey around the gills. The background is way too dark and I dont like the faint light circle behind him. Sorry BUT i love all your other work ;-)

Cheers guys,

I'm going to re-edit as soon as I get time, probably as part of viewing prep for dad. I'm going to convert all of you :D

*play's rocky music*

Gary.

Another thought - I like the desaturated look, but maybe in this one it's too subtle so it looks washed out rather than deliberately desaturated.

I like the contrast of the first, with the saturation of the second. :)

Just did a quick test, loaded up the high contrast image in photoshop, add the low contrast one as Layer 2, set blending mode of layer 2 to colour, looks awesome to me. :D

I like the contrast of the first, with the saturation of the second. :)

Just did a quick test, loaded up the high contrast image in photoshop, add the low contrast one as Layer 2, set blending mode of layer 2 to colour, looks awesome to me. :D

Post it :D

(y) For negative space, even if it's added in post.

I prefer the landscape orientation of the earlier one though, and agree with Kaouthia on the contrast / saturation combi.

Drop a little text in the negative space, a quote or poem about childhood and watch the parents get dewy eyed and keen to buy ;)

what about something between first and second version ???
hope you dont mind Gary ;D

4860805905_0ae891c891_o.jpg

Gary,

Love it ! The first one. Black backgrounds are the way forward :) I need some kiddies furniture :)

Only a slight desaturation in the skin using a B&W layer with opacity dropped to about 10% then masked to only affect the skin. Just to pull it down a fraction.

Then I extended the background, cropped it back to the same ratio and finally added text to make use of the space ;)

experimental.jpg

You guys are all friggin awesome :). And ta for the text Jason, ace :). I will post finished set after viewing.

Gary, PLEASE tell me about the lighting setup.
Was this a 1 light setup? Or 1 on subject, and snoot on background?

Gary, have you considered a B&W version?

No mate, and to be perfectly honest - my B&W needs some work or tuition....I'm really not sure of the best approach...

Gary, PLEASE tell me about the lighting setup.
Was this a 1 light setup? Or 1 on subject, and snoot on background?

Octobox 150, perhaps 5 ft from subject, nice and high, angled down. Inside is a Gemini Pro 1000watt light, on power level 5.0.

Off camera left, a 400 watt Bowens light modified with a Honeycomb Grid. This is shot directly behind the kid....

That's all folks!

G.

Gary,

This is a really nice image, well impressed with it!

1Kw lights are a bit full on :) ...... You say power setting 5.0 what is that as a percentage of full power?

Gary,

1Kw lights are a bit full on :) ...... You say power setting 5.0 what is that as a percentage of full power?

Hya mate,

I have three of them - can't remember exact percentage, but I think they go from 10% power all the way to 1,000 watt. I can shoot at f1.4 with them :D

Love number 1, I love the dead space in the shot. (y)

Ta :)

Gary,

Forgot to say, power level 5.0 from a possible 8.0. It goes all the way from 1 to 8, including the mini increments - 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 etc etc.

So, presumably each power level is 1 stop? So, 5 from 8 would be 12.5% of full power?

Don't you have a light meter? ;)

From a less experinced tog and parent combined view I prefer no 1. The colour looks more natural and yes cute kid..immediately put a smile on my weary face!!
EDIT ( fairly experienced parent hence weary face :) )

Ta,

I'm going to edit a set soon.... :)

Back