Wild Curlew (Bird on a Stick, Post, Whatever).

BRASH

fracster's right hand
Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Nice diffused light today (away from the rain) up Glenbuchat way near Strathdon.

Last edited:
"Nice diffused light today" shame it's ballsed your WB up, everytime i come on here i feel like i should calibrate my monitor :wacky:
Last one would be the pick if i had too (y)

No2 and No3 in all honesty are some of the nicest you've posted for a while ,I love the background and the pose of the birds ,if I had to nit pick it would be the clean post ,to clean but you cant choose that as that's what it landed on.

1 & 3 for me, you did well to get that close to it. BG is rather pukka in all 3 shots.Nice one.

2 and 3 for me depending upon if you like gob open shots or not - personally I do! Not much wrong with the first but the head angle doesn't do it for me. Can't comment on the WB, on a laptop at the moment, but all said, a very nice set

i suppose they are ok, can't comment on the wb as I'm on my telephonic equipment only.

Cheers!!

Can't see an issue with the WB myself to be honest. It's a pretty fair account of how it looked in the conditions. Taken in highland pastureland so surrounded in greenery (as per BG) which may have have had an effect on the ambient light but I'm happy it's an accurate representation.

Nothing has been tweeked in PP with regards to colour, WB, Saturation of Vibrancy. Crop, sharpen and a wee bit of NR. That's all.

Last edited:
Great capture Brash, love the background and the detail in the bird

Cheers!!

Can't see an issue with the WB myself to be honest. It's a pretty fair account of how it looked in the conditions. Taken in highland pastureland so surrounded in greenery (as per BG) which may have have had an effect on the ambient light but I'm happy it's an accurate representation.

Nothing has been tweeked in PP with regards to colour, WB, Saturation of Vibrancy. Crop, sharpen and a wee bit of NR. That's all.

Tut tut, just downloaded it off your flickr and had a play, lets just say their is a lot better shot hidden away :whistle:
You have a "NO" for edit my images so i can't be anymore help, looks like the weathers warm in jock land :wave:

Nice shot.....

Oh ok then... Three different images of the bird in three poses, all typical of a curlew, no favourite from me, I like them all, I'd be pleased to have taken them.

However Brash, I will question the WB, on my (calibrated) monitor there seems to be a definite green tint, very noticeable on the birds lighter underside. I checked them on Flickr and get the same tint. The post looks greenish too, which may be algae, but I honestly don't think so.
As you say, the lighting is good, and you did well to get a close shot, so other than the WB I mentioned, I'll repeat, Nice shot (y)

Cracking shots. They all look fantastic to me.
Stunning bird.

Wow, amazing shots! Beautifully clear and sharp :) would be mega proud if I had taken these!

Nice shot.....

Oh ok then... Three different images of the bird in three poses, all typical of a curlew, no favourite from me, I like them all, I'd be pleased to have taken them.

However Brash, I will question the WB, on my (calibrated) monitor there seems to be a definite green tint, very noticeable on the birds lighter underside. I checked them on Flickr and get the same tint. The post looks greenish too, which may be algae, but I honestly don't think so.
As you say, the lighting is good, and you did well to get a close shot, so other than the WB I mentioned, I'll repeat, Nice shot (y)

Right here's a quick edit of a different picture but have changed the WB from shade (as shot) to cloudy (which it was). Tried a few others but none looked right.

Leave them alone, cracking shots as first posted, beautifully clear and sharp and great background.

Nice shot.....

Looks like it's just me and your good self on calibrated screens Trev :plus1:

That's a definite improvement Brash, the tint is still present but only slightly, its acceptable as far as I am concerned. Oh yes, and another nice shot :) (y)

#2 & 3 are excellent images. My views on any given photo's white balance changes with direction of the wind and I'll forever tweak the WB sliders in Lightroom without being happy, so I don't have anything to add to that debate. With #1 I find the result of the angle of the head to be awkward looking.

That BG is awesome and the colour balance can easily be sorted with Camera Raw. Personally I use the colour picker and click around until I'm happy. I like the behaviour in the third image, makes it stand out. Subject looks nice and sharp and the catch light is a nice bonus too. As for the "bird on a stick" thing well that's what they do isn't it. Time that tired old comment was put out to grass.

Great stuff!

WB issue aside, Three superb images and some of the best Curlew shots I've seen in a long time

All just beautiful. As you said, a true representation of what was there so I would leave them be... Amazing shots (y)

Thanks all!(y)

:wideyed: :LOL:

Anywho......all 4 are cracking shots, can't really comment on WB as I didn't notice anything out in the first three.

Neither did I but some folk just need a good moan:D.

Thanks(y)

They are truly great, outstanding shots of a bird I like.....wb not got a clue as my editing skills are crap:)

Back