weekly d00d's 52 in 2014 ... Week 51 : Extravagant

Thanks for your comments everyone. o_O

Ah susie that's a nice sky. Now you've selected it I wonder if you could try a thunderous version! :exit:

been showing off with the wife's 1.5 Kilo pink plastic coated weights ...

STRONG

STRONG1.jpg

strong2.jpg

Strong - fits the theme the first image works for me I like the processing.

Thanks :) I didn't know if that kind of thing might be regarded as over processed and maybe a bit naff. I enjoy doing it so might do more in future.

Hi d00d .... Glad you liked the sky .... I did look at a red one but I thought the blue complemented the tulips ..... did you notice that I blotted out the tulip at the bottom :) I did it all with layers, I haven't mastered selecting a whole area....yet !!

Strong ....I really like the second image, the dark tone and composition give it a real sense of strength, and you are actually managing to make it look heavy to lift.....a good choice for the theme there :)

The first one, I like the editing of the hand but not the writing ... I would prefer a gritty looking grey/black and a more edgy looking font.

Last edited:
Action - The word Action is in there but I'm afraid it doesn't do anything for me. Not keen on the false looking zoom effect either. Sorry.

Mono - #1 works though. Nicely converted with a balance of blacks through to whites

Twisted - I prefer #2 out of these. I'd be tempted to clone a bit of the bottom though

Fresh - #2 for me although a lovely blue sky would really make the tulips jump out more

Shape - I recognise the webpage LOL but not shouting shape I'm afraid

Number - Nicely lit

Strong - #1 looks like a poster of some sort.

Hi d00d .... Glad you liked the sky .... I did look at a red one but I thought the blue complemented the tulips ..... did you notice that I blotted out the tulip at the bottom :) I did it all with layers, I haven't mastered selecting a whole area....yet !!

OMG No!

Poster effect for me too David (y) as mentioned by Lynne, it looks a little dark to me too

All my hard work for nothing :)

Nah ... what you've done with my tulip pic is just great ... and there's certainly been enough call for a blue sky. :rolleyes:

And you've inspired me to have a go at doing the kind of sky I'd like to see ... more appropriate than blue, as it was raining at the time, hence the wet FRESH green shadowless undergrowth. My layers have not blended as well as yours susie (I need to find a way of smoothing the edges, getting rid of the white outline) but I'll keep working on that.

Untitled.jpg

TEXTURE

hand3.jpg

and a cropped version:

handcrop.jpg

Last edited:
really liked the cropped version of texture, nice strong image. What is the finger on, looks like some sort of metallic paper??

It's good to see that I have inspired someone d00d :) definitely a more moody looking sky there, I get the gist now of what you were looking for, much nicer than that original blank white.

That's a very original take on this weeks theme...I like the textured grainy look of the paper (I assume it's paper) against the dark hand, especially in the cropped version.

Thanks Richard & Susie

I took a pic of the finger on plain paper, converted to mono, selected the white paper and add "Noise" (pdn Effect). Noise makes it look textured, it also emphasises the shadow and smudges it.

And thanks for all those interesting comments above on STRONG/STRENGTH. (y)

I am off on hols tomorrow for two weeks ... so have fun without me.

:banana::beer::banana:

Hi, either one for me can't make my mind up :thinking: they both work
have a good holiday

Cropped image for me. If you hadn't said you'd added the texture in pp I would have just thought it was a piece of sandpaper - very realistic! Hope you're having a great holiday.

good idea and PP work, but a bit dark on the back of the hand and finger for me, the shape says what it is, but a bit more detail would be nice.

Happy hols. (y)

Like it! I was planning on something on the same idea but with a person doing the dreaming. So I am glad to see you have done this. I like the stunted colour too in the dream image.

Hi, wild I like. Light is very harsh and a bit of warm light would improve for me. I'd also like to see a square crop. I do like it, though. some nice detail fits the theme.

Dreamy, not sure, really. Obviously it fits the theme but I'd like to heard why you did it, IYSWIM.

Cheers.

Like it! I was planning on something on the same idea but with a person doing the dreaming. So I am glad to see you have done this. I like the stunted colour too in the dream image.

Yes I thought about "a person doing the dreaming" but never got it together.

"stunted colour" ... I like that term, must remember it. (y)

Hi, wild I like. Light is very harsh and a bit of warm light would improve for me. I'd also like to see a square crop. I do like it, though. some nice detail fits the theme.

Dreamy, not sure, really. Obviously it fits the theme but I'd like to heard why you did it, IYSWIM.

Cheers.

Both shots were taken on the week of the theme, both whilst on hols in Lisbon ... I didn't want to fall behind. I was going to give an explanation for the Dreamy shot and call it something like "dreaming of eternal love" or some such, but didn't. It is a snap of some graffiti/street-art/mural I saw on a Lisbon wall, I liked it, didn't know what it was or why it was there but thought it somehow fits the theme. When I got home I didn't edit the original artwork, just put it in a dream bubble.

(y)

Last edited:
Like it, great job.

Perfect equilateral triangle formed there right into the corners... Sky and the tree making it clear we're looking straight up.

Is it a street light of some sort?

Nice color and texture and light on the pole part of whateveritis too. (y)

Thanks Graham ... yes a near-perfect triangle whilst keeping an eye on the perpendicular!

And yes it is a street lamp ... a crudely painted metal tube about 20 ft high.

Hi d00d...I really like wild...the softness of the colours , the composition, the texture ...it's almost dreamy ...if only someone hadn't written sms on that door!!

Dream...it fits the theme and they look like a very contented old couple, it's very good street art.

Vertical...couldn't be better for the theme ... spot on with that one :)

Hi David, sorry for not taking a look before now at your thread.

strong, quite like the poster effect, a slightly different bg colour maybe, but I prefer it to the 2nd, I would prefer just a little bit more lighting on the lhs.
texture, the uncropped version for me, like the dark b+w
wild, looks good overall but seems over exposed on my laptop screen
dream, I like it,
vertical, nice and straight and on theme

Keep up the good work :)

Back