D3 for London photog's

Might be a con...someone is advertising a Canon 500 f4 on there for £1600 I think it is! :eek:

Might be a con...someone is advertising a Canon 500 f4 on there for £1600 I think it is! :eek:

The credit crunch mustn't be hitting him ;)

Not a fan of Gumtree at all, some scumbag tried to sell me fake gig tickets, he wouldn't meet me to get the payment - paypal only, then he came clean :)

Definite scam - if it genuinely exists this will have been stolen.

Chances are though, its a scam to catch the greedy / gullible / stupid (or all 3!!)

Got to be a scam.

Where can I pick the camera up from? .......Oh, I've just moved to Penzance/Inverness/Outer Mongolia.

I asked about one the other week - 'I've just moved to the Shetland Isles'

Wasn't quick enough at the time (just deleted the reply). I should've called their bluff as I know someone who lives there.

Certainly a scam - I mailed them and this is the reply :

Hello,

Firstly I would like to say that it is still available. The price I would like to obtain for the Nikon D3 body 12.1 Original Box Extra Battery is £640. All shipping costs are included in the price. The item is new, in original box and it comes with full warranty.
If you are interested to buy it from me I have to tell you that I will only do this through eBay. I've choosen eBay for security reasons, all my online transactions were done through eBay and they were a success.

Here is what you have to send me:
- your ebay id;
- full name and address (where to ship the item)

As soon as I have the details I will forward them to eBay. Shortly after, they will contact you with the invoice to confirm our transaction. Further details about payment and shipping will be found there.

I will send the item via UPS overnight. It should arrive within 24 hrs. You will have a period of 3 days for inspecting the item starting from the moment it arrives. In case the item is damaged, or not as I've described it, you can refuse to keep it and you will receive a full refund from eBay. I am a Paypal verified member and all my transactions are covered against fraud at both ends (both seller and buyer are fully protected against fraud using eBay services).

I will have it ready for shipping as soon as you reply with the requested details.

I wait your reply with great interest.

Cheers

This is my reply :

Thanks Joanne. Just as I thought...a scam.

Hope you get caught.

Hello,

Firstly I would like to say that it is still available. The price I would like to obtain for the Nikon D3 body 12.1 Original Box Extra Battery is £640. All shipping costs are included in the price. The item is new, in original box and it comes with full warranty.
If you are interested to buy it from me I have to tell you that I will only do this through eBay. I've choosen eBay for security reasons, all my online transactions were done through eBay and they were a success.

- your ebay id;

As soon as I have the details I will forward them to eBay. Shortly after, they will contact you with the invoice to confirm our transaction. Further details about payment and shipping will be found there.

I will send the item via UPS overnight. It should arrive within 24 hrs. You will have a period of 3 days for inspecting the item starting from the moment it arrives. In case the item is damaged, or not as I've described it, you can refuse to keep it and you will receive a full refund from eBay. I am a Paypal verified member and all my transactions are covered against fraud at both ends (both seller and buyer are fully protected against fraud using eBay services).

I will have it ready for shipping as soon as you reply with the requested details.

Cheers

This is my reply :

Hope you get caught.

Lol good reply mate.

I'm bored at work today so thought I'd email them with an interest to buy. At least the time they waste dealing with me will reduce the time they spend conning others. :)

Hello,

- your ebay id;

Cheers

This is my reply :

Hope you get caught.
I did the same and got the exact same answer..so i emailed back saying "if you want to sell this camera i will come to you in person and pay cash"
Waiting for the response...:D

Had quite a number of email replies so far, I think I've got a bite on the hook hehe

I've had quite a few responses from him/her with a nice bite on the hook! I've managed to get them to send me photos of it, however, although there's no exif data it does show the photos were processed by Ebay. To be honest they look like saved images straight from someone's ebay advert!

Anyway, here's the email dialogue starting from the bottom up (I'll blanked my email for obvious reasons). All a bit of fun really but thought it would at least take some of their time away from scamming others. Have fun reading if you can be bothered! :)

----------------------------

RE: Your Gumtree.com ad #35304383: Nikon D3 body 12.1 Original Box Extra Battery‏

Sent: 27 February 2009 00:37:44
To: joterrago@yahoo.com
Hi

Looks good! What's your paypal email address and I'll transfer the £1,200 (as I previously agreed) first thing tomorrow morning. If you could let me know that it's sent it would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Graham
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 12:40:48 -0800
Subject: Re: Your Gumtree.com ad #35304383: Nikon D3 body 12.1 Original Box Extra Battery
To: (my email address removed)
ok,i will attach some pics to have an idea about my camera.like i said in my previous mail is in great working condition like new,in box.If you still interested and agree the price email me soon because i have more interested buyers and i want to know what do you want to do.

Best regards

--- On Thu, 2/26/09, Graham <(my email address removed)> wrote:
Subject: Your Gumtree.com ad #35304383: Nikon D3 body 12.1 Original Box Extra Battery
Date: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 5:52 PM
Hi there

I ended up setting up an Ebay account etc and buying one through Ebay who did a same-day delivery. I did cost me £1,700 but the camera is excellent and the shoot went really well. I now need a second body so is your still for sale and could you get some photos of the camera to me so I can arrange to buy. Could you confirm how much you would now be wanting for it?

Thanks
Graham

EDIT: After this email below they went all quiet..... :thinking:

Subject: RE: Your Gumtree.com ad #35304383: Nikon D3 body 12.1 Original Box Extra Battery
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 11:35:14 +0000

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm beginning to suspect you don't have the camera. Is this true?

If not, could you please send me photos of it and I'll sign up with Ebay and PayPal and get the details to you.

Many thanks
Graham

Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 16:20:49 -0800
Subject: RE: Your Gumtree.com ad #35304383: Nikon D3 body 12.1 Original Box Extra Battery

I am sorry but pick up is not an option for me, I am very busy. This is why I am offering you free shipping. I want to use eBay for security
reasons, in my opinion this is the best way to do this. If you are still interested please reply me soon with the requested details.

Best regards

--- On Wed, 2/25/09, Graham <(my email address removed)> wrote:
Date: Wednesday, February 25, 2009, 11:41 PM
Hi

I still wouldn't get it in time even if you shipped it tomorrow. Surely it would be easier for me and quicker for you to simply come and collect and pay in cash rather than you have to take time away from packing etc to get to the post office for shipping?

Is it the price which is the problem because I feel £1,280 is more than reasonable for being able to collect. I don't need to inspect it and take up your time, just so long as you can assure me that it works ok.

If absolute necessary I may be able to offer a little more but not much.

Thanks
Graham
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 13:55:37 -0800
I am moving right now and don't have much time. If you agree with the price send me your full address and contact info in order for me to start the shipping procedure. You will inspect it for 2 days and if the description made by me doesn't match you will not buy it and the shipping company will return the payment to you but I assure that this is a great deal.

Best regards

Date: Wednesday, February 25, 2009, 9:16 PM
Hi

Thanks for getting back to me.

I've got a commercial shoot which they need completed before Friday and although it's scheduled for tomorrow afternoon if I shoot it tomorrow evening they'll pay me double to make sure it gets done. I don't have time to wait I'm afraid so need to pick it up tomorrow so it's all ready. My local camera store is out of stock and I refuse to use Jessops out of principle. Could I offer £1,280 to pay in cash which is double what you are asking just so long as I can pick it up tomorrow? I don't mind as I'll be making so much from the shoot anyway!

If you could let me know asap it would be grealy appreciated.

Many thanks
Graham

Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 11:52:53 -0800
Hi again,
I'm afraid pick up is not an option for me at the moment. This is why I'm offering you free shipping. You will get the item in max 24 hrs and you can check it and return it if it is not as described.. I believe it is a fair deal. If you are still interested get back to me with the requested details.
Cheers

Date: Wednesday, February 25, 2009, 5:59 PM
Hi

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm in London and have the cash ready so would like to collect and pay in cash as I don't have an Ebay or Paypal account. I don't need to test it as it'll be covered by Nikon's warranty anyway.

Where can I collect and pay for the D3?

Thanks
Graham
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:10:05 -0800
Subject: Re: Your Gumtree.com ad #35304383: Nikon D3 body 12.1 Original Box Extra Battery
Hello,

If you are interested to buy it from me I have to tell you that I will only do this through eBay. I've choosen eBay for security reasons, all my online transactions were done through eBay and they were a success..

- your ebay id;

Cheers

Today he has replied. I'm actually a little lost now lol

"Unfurnately i don`t have an ebay account for the moment.and for this transaction i don`t need one.i use ebay for 3 years and everything was fine for me.

Full name and destination address and we can have a deal

Is your choice

If not i will sell the camera to another buyer

Please reply my soon

Regards"

There's also a D3 on there for £1600, he's also asking for the possibility of a swap with a D300 and cash, again it sounds a bit to good to be true but they do leave a phone number HERE

There's also a D3 on there for £1600, he's also asking for the possibility of a swap with a D300 and cash, again it sounds a bit to good to be true but they do leave a phone number HERE

The price has gone up quite a bit since the last time it was listed then :thinking:

The same seller also has a Macbook Pro listed, with Ebay images -strange that for someone who doesn't have an Ebay account :LOL:

He's now asking for an address to ship it too without any indication of having to send money first.

I'm going to ask him to send it to my cousin, Dr. Barthlomew Bassey Ebong who is currently visiting the Nigerian Embassy, Nigeria House, 9 Northumberland Avenue, London WC2N 5BX :D

£1600 for a D3 is do-able.

I was offered one a while back for £1700 from a work collegue (I didn't want it, bulky booger). £1800 - £2000 is more likely.

Was offered a D3 for my D700 + £1.2k recently as well (declined again)

I wonder with gumtree stuff whether it's a way of getting you to turn up somewhere with £1500 cash in your pocket, having seen some of the footage on sky's street wars I wouldn't put it past some scumbags to pull a gun on you in McDonalds so it's not safe to meet someone anywhere with that much cash IMO

The price has gone up quite a bit since the last time it was listed then :thinking:

The same seller also has a Macbook Pro listed, with Ebay images -strange that for someone who doesn't have an Ebay account :LOL:

Yes it has gone up a bit, probably didn't realise the value when he mugged the photographer :D on the serious side he is providing a phone number so could be legit.

£1600 for a D3 is do-able.

I was offered one a while back for £1700 from a work collegue (I didn't want it, bulky booger). £1800 - £2000 is more likely.

Was offered a D3 for my D700 + £1.2k recently as well (declined again)
No way?
You could have made money out the 2nd deal...
Scam though as both pictures are the same

My D700 + I'd give £1.2k my end :)

In any event, good deal or no, the D700 is the right size for me, and the D3 isn't, so its not a money thing, its comfort :)

Now that's not good.

Yep I full understand what your saying.
My d3 plus 24-70 is really heavy and I would want to be walking around all day with it all day.
At least the 700 is lighter and smaller for everyday use.

In all honesty, I'd much prefer to carry a D40 size body with the D3 / D700 sensor!

As soon as that sensor drops down to D40 class bodies, the D700 is going :)

Go here: http://www.419eater.com/

Than go to the trophy room :LOL::LOL:

stev_ebe.jpg

:eek:

Back