D3 Sensor cleaning

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
I am going to spain and thought i should probably carry some sensor cleaning stuff with me. I have defeinatley ruled out liquid and swabs as that seems a little too risky.

I thought about an arctic butterfly, but they seem quite expensive, is it really worth the investment in one?

The other idea is the lenspens sensor pen or the dust-aid platinum kit. These seem quite good, has anyone used these last two, especially the dust-aid because that looks like an interesting idea.

link for the dust aid

http://www.dust-aid.com/08DAplatinum.html

I have defeinatley ruled out liquid and swabs as that seems a little too risky.

I thought about an arctic butterfly, but they seem quite expensive, is it really worth the investment in one?

Hang about, thats £3k of camera in your signature panel. If you take the normal precautions to stop dust getting in, is it realy going to get so bad that you neet to opt for a DIY clean.

Get it booked in at a REPUTABLE and RECOMENDED shop for a proper clean if it needs it... that way it would probably be covered if it goes wrong.

I clean my D3's regularly with Visible Dust Orange Swabs and V-Dust liquid. Really don't understand peoples squeamishness with it, easy as you like and you would have to really fork up to cause any lasting damage.

Don't bother with the arctic butterfly, blood expensive and does nothing that a bloody good blow from a rocket blower can achieve.

For the cost of some swabs and alcohol to clean it the same as a technician does you could probably get a techy to give you a DIY course in how to clean your sensor - the Arctic Butterfly is great for dust, but it is easy to smear grease (shutter lubricant the most common cause of grease in there) and make it worse than the dots/spots.

I thought the butterfly was quite cheap. One sensor clean at a pro place. It isn't difficult thouh. You just need a clean environment and the right technique., oh and the swabs and a cotton wool bud to drive the swab about. Then it is just knowing the right amount of rpessure and keeping the pattern as you do it. You ever watched them at a clinic? They do a sensor in about 3 minutes.

the Arctic Butterfly is great for dust, but it is easy to smear grease (shutter lubricant the most common cause of grease in there) and make it worse than the dots/spots.

Exactly why mine is sitting in the drawer unloved. Had to get the Brillo pad out to get rid of the smearing it caused.

You guys who knock the butterfly must be clumsy or something,it works fine for dust etc.

Swab and fluid is easy,just be careful and methodical and you`ll be ok...........(y)

A rocket blower and a brush will cover most eventualities. Sometimes you may need to resort to a wet cleaning method if there's something stuck on there. But the sensorklear pens are quick and easy to use too, and very effective.

I've no intention of paying someone else to clean my sensor, it's not exactly rocket science.

Rocket blower

If that doesn't work Arctic Butterfly ( As fracster says it works very nicely, the grease smear thing is only likely to happen before the first wet clean as on the D3 for some reason there often seems to be a bit of grease down the side of the sensor )

If that lot doesn't work, it's out with the visible dust swabs and fluid. It's easier than people would have you believe as long as you're not ham fisted.

Pete

Agreed - just buy the 'good' stuff and get on with it - stop being a Girl...lol
Stuff gets dirty - so clean it...seemples...

When you take it to a camera repair shop or back to the dealer, what do you think they do...?

They just do what we all do - get the swabs and solutions out and perform a wet clean - at least if I do it myself, I'm confident I'm being careful...better than having the office-junior practicing on your pride and joy...lol

There's no one solution, you need an arsenal of tools and know when to use each.

Arctic butterfly definitely does work BTW!

I clean my D3's regularly with Visible Dust Orange Swabs and V-Dust liquid. Really don't understand peoples squeamishness with it, easy as you like and you would have to really fork up to cause any lasting damage.

Don't bother with the arctic butterfly, blood expensive and does nothing that a bloody good blow from a rocket blower can achieve.

Agreed - just buy the 'good' stuff and get on with it - stop being a Girl...lol
Stuff gets dirty - so clean it...seemples...

When you take it to a camera repair shop or back to the dealer, what do you think they do...?

They just do what we all do - get the swabs and solutions out and perform a wet clean - at least if I do it myself, I'm confident I'm being careful...better than having the office-junior practicing on your pride and joy...lol

I'm with these 2, I do it myself with swabs and solution :nuts:

The dust-aid looks good.. anyone used one?

I've used them. Works ok but not really good at edge cleaning. And being a tight git I've put the protective paper back on and re-used them. Can't see the point of throwing a pad away just because it has a few tiny bits of dust on it.

You guys who knock the butterfly must be clumsy or something,it works fine for dust etc.

Some of the Canons are renowned for the amount of oil along the edges of the sensor. 5D's a total pig for it. I used a butterfly 3 times on it, the second and third times very carefully after the first try, when it lubricated the sensor. It's very difficult to keep the brush away from the edges and it only needs the slightest touch to pick up some oil.

I gave up using mine and it eventually found its way in to some girl's bedside drawer.

Back