D300 for xmas

cowasaki

TPer Emeritus
Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
Well after Mrs C got the OM10 and brownie for BIRTHDAY and seeing my enthusiasm for my new D700 I offered to buy her a D300 for Christmas (although she is getting it early!). Got a great price offered by Stuart at Digital Depot a few minutes ago.

Is the 18-55 vr any good on the D300 as this is the only lens she will have of her own to start with (we will get her some more lenses after christmas but she hates borrowing lenses off me).

Also what is a real max ISO on the D300? What is REALLY usable?

It also means that our son can have Helen's D40x for Christmas with some other stuff so its a good buy.

Nice one cowasaki I dont know about the iso but the lens should be ok when does mrs cowasaki get her xmas prezzie

Usable ISO? I use ISO 1600 without ever finding it required to run noise reduction on my images...

Nice one cowasaki I dont know about the iso but the lens should be ok when does mrs cowasaki get her xmas prezzie

I know the 18-55vr works on it I was just really hoping it will be quite good!

I am getting myself an SB900, 70-300 and an AFS50mm f1.4 for christmas :) so I am giving her the SB600 to join her D300.

She has not been off TP for a few days now after all you lot supporting her when Ashers was rude to her! Just need to get her to post some picks now!

As I am getting it for her next month I am letting her have it early so she can take it with her when we go to the convention and she can practice using it photographing you lot ;)

I am working some really really stupid hours overtime to get this lot!!

We arent booked in anywhere but as we only live round the corner we will put in an appearance, are you both going

Out of interest what is a good price on a 300? PM me if you prefer

will have to get ** moby no so we can have a pint and a natter there(y)

Excellent, I am looking forward to meeting you all. I have met a few people from the forum so far but not so many. I am usually working when there is a photo meet nearby so keep missing them.

New genuine UK model from a Nikon pro dealer (digital depot) £1069 inc which I think is a pretty good deal and Helen gets a cap too :LOL:

The D300 is still one of the most sought after bodies so really you wont see any change from about £700 for a good used one

EDIT ebay prices for a well used one start around £800 and go up to nearly new price .......quality is costly I'm afraid

My Mr C is a love. I'm really looking forward to getting the D300 and seeing the difference in image quality. I couldn't believe the difference between pics from the D200 and D700. Puts my D40X in the shade.

Mrs C you will love it image quality is immense when you go up a level and so much more rewarding to take, I thought the D200 was superb untill I got hold of the 2X and the quality jumps out right in front of you.

Enjoy it and get some posted

I had the D1x and I was looking for a D2x until I decided to go full frame. The D2x is a really nice camera.

I had the D1x and I was looking for a D2x until I decided to go full frame. The D2x is a really nice camera.

I had the D1 which was a very impressive camera but very noisy even at iso200 then had the D2H which was fantastic but still not D200 quality so biught a D200 and thought dogz nads,,,,but I always wanted the D2X but couldnt afford one untill FiTP found a new one at absolutely stupid cheap money,
It was a chance I had to take and 2 days later I owned a new 2.5k camera at £700 new...........had to be done seeing as I wanted one for over 2 years(y)

I had the D1 which was a very impressive camera but very noisy even at iso200 then had the D2H which was fantastic but still not D200 quality so biught a D200 and thought dogz nads,,,,but I always wanted the D2X but couldnt afford one untill FiTP found a new one at absolutely stupid cheap money,
It was a chance I had to take and 2 days later I owned a new 2.5k camera at £700 new...........had to be done seeing as I wanted one for over 2 years(y)

I know what you mean, its nice opening a spangley new top notch camera! It sounds like I am chucking dosh about but I am doing a lot of overtime specifically to buy this stuff and I've sold off loads of things that I don't need anymore. I am really hoping that Helen enjoys the D300. She has been getting so much out of the OM10.

Depends on what you find acceptable. If I were coming from something like my old D200 or D2x I'd think the D300 was a miracle of high ISO but as I got it as backup to the D3 I won't go over 800 as I find that to be roughly on par (ish) with 3200 on my D3.

BUT, I've not printed anything from the D300 yet so in print going higher may not be an issue.

I know what you mean, its nice opening a spangley new top notch camera! It sounds like I am chucking dosh about but I am doing a lot of overtime specifically to buy this stuff and I've sold off loads of things that I don't need anymore. I am really hoping that Helen enjoys the D300. She has been getting so much out of the OM10.

Hell mate if she enjoys it ....what the heck my missus loves photography and her next body is a d200 or 300 if we can stretch it(y)

Depends on what you find acceptable. If I were coming from something like my old D200 or D2x I'd think the D300 was a miracle of high ISO but as I got it as backup to the D3 I won't go over 800 as I find that to be roughly on par (ish) with 3200 on my D3.

BUT, I've not printed anything from the D300 yet so in print going higher may not be an issue.

I have seen some prints from the 300 from pretty dimmly lit churches using high iso and they all looked superb so the high iso quality is there as the tog wasnt allowed any flash so I cant see it being much of a problem(y)

I have seen some prints from the 300 from pretty dimmly lit churches using high iso and they all looked superb so the high iso quality is there as the tog wasnt allowed any flash so I cant see it being much of a problem(y)

Brilliant! Next time we visit my brother in Lichfield and take some shots of the cathedral, I'll get much better shots than I did with my OM10 or D40X.

Mrs C you will love it image quality is immense when you go up a level and so much more rewarding to take, I thought the D200 was superb untill I got hold of the 2X and the quality jumps out right in front of you.

Enjoy it and get some posted

Thanks Dangermouse. I must get more organised when it comes to actually cataloguing my pictures and uploading the few good ones. I absolutely hate that part of the whole process and it's one of the reasons I still love film photography.

I'm looking forward to buying a D3 when they come down to £700. Actually, make that a D3X.

Must agree with what has already been said ISO 1600 not a problem with the D300.

yep agreed. ive shot a few at 2000 that certainly were usable. my 1600 shots i havent even used any noise reduction on

and in my opinion the d300 is definetely superior to the d2x, both in terms of iso usage and overall image quality. i used the d2x as a primary camera for a few years from release and although only had the d300 for a month or so, am blown away by just how good it is.

the d2x used to be my perfect camera, the only thing i miss about it is the size and build. im much more used to larger cameras.

but yeah, d300 is phenominal!

Is the 18-55 vr any good on the D300 as this is the only lens she will have of her own to start with (we will get her some more lenses after christmas but she hates borrowing lenses off me).

Sell the 18-55mm VR and get the 18-70mm lens instead - much better. :)

ISO1600 is usable, I had no issues using it all the time on the D90 with great results.

New genuine UK model from a Nikon pro dealer (digital depot) £1069 inc which I think is a pretty good deal and Helen gets a cap too :LOL:

Oh no! So I too can look like Onslow from "Keeping up appearances"!!! That's who Darren looks like when he wears his cap - don't know why, but it's a scary transformation!

Incidentally, the main attraction for me with the D300 is the image quality. Darren's D700 produces absolutely amazing images in terms of definition of detail. I was absolutely gobsmacked when I saw the difference between the D700 and his D200.

Darren says that the D300 will have the same image quality, as it's got the latest generation image software like the D700. Is it the image software, or the fact that the D700 is full frame, that makes its images so good? I don't want him to work himself to death over the next few months to buy me the D300 for Christmas, if the image quality is only going to be as good as the D40X I already have.

I must find a new word - I keep saying "absolutely"!!!

Darren says that the D300 will have the same image quality, as it's got the latest generation image software like the D700. Is it the image software, or the fact that the D700 is full frame, that makes its images so good?

I find that claim very strange tbh. :cautious:

The IQ of the D90 is practically the same as the D300 (as they have a very similar sensor). The D700 is a different ballgame though and to claim the D300 and D700 have the same IQ is in all honesty, not true in the slightest.

If you like the size of the D200 with the AF system of the D700 then the D300 will be for you. If you'd prefer something a little bigger than your D40x but smaller than the D200, go for the D90.

Hope this helps.

There was a slight misunderstanding there. I don't think I quite explained it very well. I was saying that the D300 is better than either the D200 or D40x and its like a D700 with a crop sensor ie more modern, live view etc. I think I explained it rather badly :crying:

There was a slight misunderstanding there. I don't think I quite explained it very well. I was saying that the D300 is better than either the D200 or D40x and its like a D700 with a crop sensor ie more modern, live view etc. I think I explained it rather badly :crying:

Indeed. ;)

:p

Congratulations, in advance, to you both (Ms. and Mr. cowasaki).

It's always great when someone so close is sharing the same hobby. Makes it a lot easier to justify buying new gear (y) .. this is why I practically force my whole family into it :p .. works wonders.

D300, great present that is. I hope you enjoy it.

Congratulations, in advance, to you both (Ms. and Mr. cowasaki).

It's always great when someone so close is sharing the same hobby. Makes it a lot easier to justify buying new gear (y) .. this is why I practically force my whole family into it :p .. works wonders.

D300, great present that is. I hope you enjoy it.

Yep, that's Darren's approach too - forcing the kids to like photography! :LOL:

Looking forward to it, thanks Wail. Our youngest will benefit as he'll be getting my D40X for Christmas.

I am currently checking all necessary records to see if I am in any way related to Mr Cowasaki!!!!

Err can I have a D300s please if I am related?!

Back