D300/s or D700/7100, Help before my head explodes !

Edit My Images
No
Hi everybody,i have a choice to make (as many do i think) on a 2nd body. 1st i use a D300s as my prime body,and my 2nd is a D90. I want to upgrade the the D90,but to? i am not really a fan of full frame(A:crop B:afford glass) So my question:Any D300/s owners find the D7100 too small(body)is the D700 still that good in low light?,thank's in advance for any opinion.Bob.

You didn't say what do you want to shoot or any other requirements so there is no right answer. There are aspects where each of these cameras is better than the others.

Hi everybody,i have a choice to make (as many do i think) on a 2nd body. 1st i use a D300s as my prime body,and my 2nd is a D90. I want to upgrade the the D90,but to? i am not really a fan of full frame(A:crop B:afford glass) So my question:Any D300/s owners find the D7100 too small(body)is the D700 still that good in low light?,thank's in advance for any opinion.Bob.

You 'want' or 'need' to upgrade your D90? Two different concepts- if you are saying the D90 doesn't meet your needs and what it's not doing for you then you will get much better direction.
The D7100 is only marginally bigger than the D90 so if you think that's too small then you will find the D7100 in the same vein. If not, then you wont have an issue.

I don't really understand what you are asking about the D700- it was a great low light camera when it was released and it hasn't gotten worse? If you mean are there better low light cameras now then sure, its been superseded by newer models but you can look at sensor stats all day long- it's still a very capable camera that you can get clean shots at high ISO's. FX lenses only though- albeit you could run it in DX mode but that would be a waste of a FF camera.

Sorry,i should of said,my requirement is a 2nd body,that is both weatherproof(the D90 was pretty good) but good low low light(D700) I am sure there will never be a D400,so i need a low light ...........my heart say's a D7100,my head say's another D300/s?

So you're considering a FX back up to a DX main?

I'd retire the D90, demote the 300s to second and get yourself a mint used 700.
Can only agree with the above, add a 1.4x extender (lens permitting) on your D700 if you're afraid of losing the length of the D300, the D700 ISO is about 2 stops better than the D800 so no worries about upping the ISO to compensate for the loss of 1 stop by adding the extender

You genuinly might not think you dont want/need to go FX but once you do you'll be kicking yourself for not doing it sooner

D7100 24mp buy one. My FF d3s just sits gathering dust until it gets dark.

D700 was the right choice.

I have D90/D7100/D700 and the D700 is best performer of the lot for speed, IQ and AF performance. You'll get more keepers with the D700.

You won't regret getting the d700. They are amazing cameras, I have two and have no intention of replacing them anytime soon. Nikon pretty much made the perfect camera.... A D3 in a small body what's not to like....pitty nikon will never make another body like it...they really like to handicap bodies nowadays, unless you want to get a d4s. I owned a d90 and a d300s...the d700 is so much more camera, low light capabilities are great.....the only thing I missed about the d300 was the bigger top screen and the reach....now it doesn't bother me.

You won't regret getting the d700. They are amazing cameras, I have two and have no intention of replacing them anytime soon. Nikon pretty much made the perfect camera.... A D3 in a small body what's not to like....pitty nikon will never make another body like it...they really like to handicap bodies nowadays, unless you want to get a d4s. I owned a d90 and a d300s...the d700 is so much more camera, low light capabilities are great.....the only thing I missed about the d300 was the bigger top screen and the reach....now it doesn't bother me.

Very true. I really think Nikon missed the boat by not offering a proper upgrade path from the D700. I know personally it was part of the reason I made a switch to Canon.

Very true. I really think Nikon missed the boat by not offering a proper upgrade path from the D700. I know personally it was part of the reason I made a switch to Canon.

Although I'm watching the specs for the D800s..... 5fps and sRAW looks like it could be interesting....I'd love to think they will put a D4s sensor in it....but we know that won't happen. Be interesting to see what resolution sRAW offers.

Although I'm watching the specs for the D800s..... 5fps and sRAW looks like it could be interesting....I'd love to think they will put a D4s sensor in it....but we know that won't happen. Be interesting to see what resolution sRAW offers.

Not putting the sRAW option in the D800, was IMO a huge error on Nikon's part. I know if there had have been that option, my switch would have certainly been a harder decision ( I would still have changed, as there were other factors though). ,but I wouldnt have felt so alienated as an ex D700 user.

I'd retire the D90, demote the 300s to second and get yourself a mint used 700.

That.

I don't care that it's older tech, the D700 is more camera than most people need. I can't quite understand why anyone would buy a new D7100 when you can get a used D700 so cheaply now.

That.

I don't care that it's older tech, the D700 is more camera than most people need. I can't quite understand why anyone would buy a new D7100 when you can get a used D700 so cheaply now.

Well, thats easy. Different people might have different requirements. Professionals will always go for performance and reliability. Amateurs (photo enthusiasts) might actually benefit from having some of these new features. And I am sure even the most happy D700 user will find at least one feature that would be great to have on the D700.

pro newer higher-end consumer cameras (D600, D610, D7100):
- video
- much better live view
- great dynamic range
- megapixels (larger prints, tighter crops or downsampling resolution benefits)
- dual card slots
- latest control tweaks like U1/U2, easy ISO, lens-aware Auto ISO setting, etc.
- focuses with slower lenses at f/8 and autofocus is working at -2 EV (D7100)
- smaller and lighter
- consumer oriented features like in-camera RAW development, smartphone tethering, £3 wireless remote, time-lapses, in camera HDR, better JPEG engine, etc
- 100% viewfinder
- quieter shutter

pro D700:
- construction
- better handling and more direct controls
- AF speed
- hi iso performance (compared to D7100)
- faster rate with grip (slower without)
- smaller files
- better integrates with other pro cameras (shares card format, can use pro-batteries in grip, AUX port to share accessory, NPS service, etc).
- proven and reliable with no known quality issues

Everybody needs to make his own decision about what's better for him. But I can see why some people might want newer consumer cameras. I still think the D800 is probably the best blend of the old & new.

I may have one D700 for sale, its hard to make decision if you already own one

So my question:Any D300/s owners find the D7100 too small(body)is the D700 still that good in low light?,thank's in advance for any opinion.Bob.

The D7100 is about the same size as the D90, so you already know how it feels to use. If you didn't find the D90 too small ....

I think the best suggestion though, is get the D700, and use the D300 as your back up. You don't 'need' expensive glass to stick on just because it's FX. Plenty of bargain lenses out there in the used market.

Back