D3100 advice: "Subject is too dark"

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

As the title suggests, I've recently encountered trouble with this error message on my D3100 when shooting in shutter priority and with low ISO (in conditions that seem fine). It's the first time I've had this problem and have used the camera without this trouble before.

I've tried resetting shooting settings to default but to no avail; the problem peresists. Only way I've got around it so far is bumping up the ISO but that leaves images far too grainy for my liking.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

What shutter speeds are you trying to achieve? If you're aiming for really high shutter speeds then you will need to bump up the ISO. Chances are you need to moderate the shutter speed.

As above, what shutter and iso are you using?

With only having one post, do you know the exposure triangle and what's your experience with photography?

Last edited:
What shutter speeds are you trying to achieve? If you're aiming for really high shutter speeds then you will need to bump up the ISO. Chances are you need to moderate the shutter speed.

Thanks for the reply. I was trying at about 1/250 or anything below about 400, really (it's for motorsport, so don't want to go too quick).

I'm getting that message at basically anything quicker than 1/6 in shutter mode (in fair conditions). Is that normal?

As above, what shutter and iso are you using?

With only having one post, do you know the exposure triangle and what's your experience with photography?

Yes, I'm still a newbie at DSLR photography (started at the beginning of this year) and am aware of the general rules of thumb and I've been really pleased with what I've been able to produce so far. I felt like I was really getting the hang of it until all of a sudden I've run into this problem. But I realise it'll be a problem with me and not the equipment! :LOL:

And while I'm at it, I seem to have completely lost the ability to take non-blurred shots in aperture priority overnight.

Do you have an example of the photos your having trouble with? 1/250 sounds fairly slow for Motorsport...

One thing I have done in the past is to try the rough settings in manual and used in camera metering if only to confirm that the settings worked before letting the camera then take over in S mode.

I'm guessing that the second one has a much slower shutter speed?

What aperture was it please?

You haven't got a -ve EV set by any chance?

Heather

Last edited:
Is that a night time photo?

Both those photo's are very different in terms of settings,

shutter priority is 1/200 and f4 (iso100)
aperture priority is 1.3 seconds and f7.1 (iso100)

Its much easier to try and work something out if you only change one value at a time.

Both those photo's are very different in terms of settings,

shutter priority is 1/200 and f4 (iso100)
aperture priority is 1.3 seconds and f7.1 (iso100)

Its much easier to try and work something out if you only change one value at a time.

I think the OP thinks he has changed only one thing: shutter priority to aperture priority

To the OP, choose a mode to stick to (AV) the make sure you have no exp compensation set, then increase the ISO at f8 till you get a high enough shutter speed.

Are you aware of the relationship between Aperture, Shutter and ISO?

Learn the exposure triangle: Put the camera in M manual mode, adjust each setting one at a time and see the results, learn which of those 3 setting does what.

ONLY when you've mastered the exposure triangle, you can understand what the camera is telling you when it says "subject is too dark".

Alternatively, turn on Auto-ISO and point then shoot. D3100 is pretty good up to ISO 1600.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Very much appreciated.

I'm guessing that the second one has a much slower shutter speed?

What aperture was it please?

You haven't got a -ve EV set by any chance?

Heather

Shutter speed was 0.62 sec, aperture f/4.5.

EV was neutral for it.

Quite a low ISO that is it not?

Yeah, though I did think I wouldn't need to up the ISO too much as...

Is that a night time photo?

It's a daytime shot.

Last edited:
I think the OP thinks he has changed only one thing: shutter priority to aperture priority

To the OP, choose a mode to stick to (AV) the make sure you have no exp compensation set, then increase the ISO at f8 till you get a high enough shutter speed.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that.

Are you aware of the relationship between Aperture, Shutter and ISO?

Learn the exposure triangle: Put the camera in M manual mode, adjust each setting one at a time and see the results, learn which of those 3 setting does what.

ONLY when you've mastered the exposure triangle, you can understand what the camera is telling you when it says "subject is too dark".

Alternatively, turn on Auto-ISO and point then shoot. D3100 is pretty good up to ISO 1600.

Thanks for the tip. Will try shooting in manual mode.

I wonder if you have a filter on your lens, or worse a polarising filter and a UV filter?

That combo certainly gave my mate problems :D

I wonder if you have a filter on your lens, or worse a polarising filter and a UV filter?

That combo certainly gave my mate problems :D

I haven't got quite that advanced yet! Though the way it's going I may not need one... :LOL:

Back