D40 owner needs another lens

Name
Ryan
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking to get a new addition to my D40. I am a novice photographer and like to just really pick up and take pictures no messing around with settings etc. All I have is the kit lens 18-55mm that came with the D40 years ago. It has served me well.

Although I would like to get another bigger lens.
I'm only looking to spend around £100 but could stretch a little bit but not too much. I have seen one this one which looks good. I would prefer a Auto Focus one.

I have seen a sigma 70-300 for £90. Also I've heard the 50-200 Nikon one is good too.

I mainly use the camera for aviation.

Recommendations welcome.

ive got the sigma 70-300 apo and to be fair for the price it's an ok lens, I've taken some nice pictures with it but I wouldn't buy it again the only reason is it has no Image stabiliser and there have been a fair few missed picture, but I don't have the steadiest of hands lol.

Make sure that any lens you buy has the AF motor in the lens. Most Sigma lenses so equipped are labelled HSM and Nikons AF-S.

I have the Nikon 55-200 and it's a great lens. Also have the Sigma 70-300 APO DG macro and it's ok but not as sharp as the Nikon. Paid £45 locally for the Sigma and about £50 for the Nikon I think.

Iv'e had a look and the Nikon 50-200 is just abit more than i want to pay. I have seen a Tamron 70-300 on amazon for £90. What's that like and would it fit the D40?

I had and still have a D40 - sentimentality makes me keep hold of it and also my 8 year old daughter is learning to use it.

I have used it as out main camera when on holiday and pretty much only use it with a Nikon 35mm f/1.8 lens.

I recommend that combo personally.

Just re-read and you said bigger, I think the 55-200 VR goes for about 80£ used doesnt it?

I had and still have a D40 - sentimentality makes me keep hold of it and also my 8 year old daughter is learning to use it.

I have used it as out main camera when on holiday and pretty much only use it with a Nikon 35mm f/1.8 lens.

I recommend that combo personally.

Just re-read and you said bigger, I think the 55-200 VR goes for about 80£ used doesnt it?

I think that's about right. It's definitely what I'd opt for out of these options.

Iv'e had a look and the Nikon 50-200 is just abit more than i want to pay. I have seen a Tamron 70-300 on amazon for £90. What's that like and would it fit the D40?

The tamron is, basically, crap. You can pick up the Nikon for peanuts so scout around.

If you want to explore other avenues of photography then grab a used 35mm 1.8 - this forum about £100. Absolutely gorgeous lens which will be an excellent intro to the lovely world of primes - and bokeh. A really flexible, useful lens which will produce brilliant results - without really trying too hard! (-:

Back