D50 AF Assist light

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
Bought a D50 for my wife recently, she has been struggling with low light focus using her 50mm 1.8. I have performed a direct comparison with my D90 and noticed her AF assist light does not illuminate when trying to focus.

I have been through the menu and everything appears to be set correctly! the light operates when in auto and the flash is raised so the lamp itself is OK.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there a sure fire test to establish the correct operation of the AF assist functionality?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers....Kevin.

The D50 has probably defaulted to AF-A or AF-C focus mode.

Make sure focus mode is set to AF-S and your little light will shine bright again :)

Bought a D50 for my wife recently, she has been struggling with low light focus using her 50mm 1.8. I have performed a direct comparison with my D90 and noticed her AF assist light does not illuminate when trying to focus.

I have been through the menu and everything appears to be set correctly! the light operates when in auto and the flash is raised so the lamp itself is OK.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there a sure fire test to establish the correct operation of the AF assist functionality?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers....Kevin.

not sure if i'm reading this right but the af lamp is on the front ,not the top.

The auto focus illuminator only works with the central focus point. So if your D50 is set to any of the other focus points it will not work.

The D50 has probably defaulted to AF-A or AF-C focus mode.

Make sure focus mode is set to AF-S and your little light will shine bright again :)

Thanks Puddleduck, I had tried the different AF settings with no joy, altough it did help me to find the culprit in the end...

not sure if i'm reading this right but the af lamp is on the front ,not the top.

The AF light is on the front it is also used for the flash sensing when the pop up flash is raised.

The auto focus illuminator only works with the central focus point. So if your D50 is set to any of the other focus points it will not work.

Thanks TommyGun, I altered the AF Area focus point to "closest subject" and it corrected the problem, however I do have a fixed focus point on the far left when either single area or dynamic area are selected...can this focus point be centralised?

Cheers....Kevin.

Back