D60 - Upgrade Body?

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
I currently have a Nikon D60 body with 18-55 VR kit lens. I've just bought a 18-200 VR lens off eBay as an all purpose lens. I'm also looking at the Nikon 50mm http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/Accessories/Camera%20Accessories/Lenses/products/Nikon/50mm%20f1.8%20D%20AF%20Lens-19693/Show.html and maybe in the future a 70-300 VR http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/Accessories/Camera%20Accessories/Lenses/products/Nikon/AF-S%20VR%2070-300mm%20f4.5-5.6G%20IF-ED%20Lens-35945/Show.html which hopefully will cover most situations.
My question is, the Nikon D60 requires the lenses with the in-built AF motor which means non AF-S lenses like the 50mm above will not auto focus. Would it be an idea to pick up a used D80 body ( I know they are discontinued now ) and sell the D60 body ( it's only 2 months old ), giving me a slightly better body to learn on with better access to controls. Looking at the eBay prices it would probably cost me about £100 to change. Is it worth the change or should I just hang on to the D60 for a while and save my money for a better body in say 12 months time?
I bought the D60 without doing enough research and perhaps I'm suffering fro a touch of buyer's remorse!
Any advise greatly appreciated

I would stick with the D60 as you already have a smashing 18-200 AFS lens.

Rather than the non focusing 50 I would get the 35/1.8 AFS to give you a decent fast prime to compliment the 18-200 all rounder. I paid 175 notes for the 35/1.8 - you should get 60 for your 18-55 VR (which you dont need now) so you wouldnt be shelling out much more than for the 50mm you are considering.

I agree - I nearly did this with my D40x and then rethought this as to how much use I'd make of the AF motor. I've only upgraded now as I wanted to make better use of the creative controls that the D90 had to offer.

I have the 50mm Lens and its excellent, but to be honest in most situations you could manually focus very quickly anyway.

I currently have a Nikon D60 body with 18-55 VR kit lens. I've just bought a 18-200 VR lens off eBay as an all purpose lens. I'm also looking at the Nikon 50mm http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/Accessories/Camera%20Accessories/Lenses/products/Nikon/50mm%20f1.8%20D%20AF%20Lens-19693/Show.html and maybe in the future a 70-300 VR http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/Accessories/Camera%20Accessories/Lenses/products/Nikon/AF-S%20VR%2070-300mm%20f4.5-5.6G%20IF-ED%20Lens-35945/Show.html which hopefully will cover most situations.
My question is, the Nikon D60 requires the lenses with the in-built AF motor which means non AF-S lenses like the 50mm above will not auto focus. Would it be an idea to pick up a used D80 body ( I know they are discontinued now ) and sell the D60 body ( it's only 2 months old ), giving me a slightly better body to learn on with better access to controls. Looking at the eBay prices it would probably cost me about £100 to change. Is it worth the change or should I just hang on to the D60 for a while and save my money for a better body in say 12 months time?
I bought the D60 without doing enough research and perhaps I'm suffering fro a touch of buyer's remorse!
Any advise greatly appreciated

I'd be tempted to go for a D200 body, rather than a D80 one. Secondhand there's only £50-100 between them and it's a far more substantial bit of kit.

Go for the 50mm and learn to manually focus, its a nice bright lens so its pretty easy. It may actually improve your photography as your picture taking will be more considered.
If you really cant get on with manual focus, upgrade the body then!

I would advise, not that my opinion probably means much, against getting the 50mm and trying to manually focus on the D40, I tried and it is very hard, well I found it hard anyway trying to take pictures of my son and kept on missing nice shots.

I sold my 50mm the day I got it and got a 35mm AFs 1.8, I am amazed at how good and sharp the pictues are I have taken with it and it auto focuses very fast in my opinion.

Thanks for the help guys. I think I'll probably stick with the D60 for another while till I get a bit more experience and then upgrade to a D90. I think I'll probably go for the 35mm AFS 1.8 as recommended by Ziggy and tim_uk and sell the 18-55 VR. I'll hold off on the 70-300 VR until I see how I get on with the 18-200 VR.
Cheers
D

I sold my 50mm the day I got it

Are you sure you really gave it a chance to learn manual focussing?

Are you sure you really gave it a chance to learn manual focussing?

In my eyes yes, got really frustrated with it as I was getting shots out of focus all the time, just not for me.

To be honest the 35mm suits be better, the 50mm is probably a bit too close for what I need.

:)

My ten pence worth :)

Fitp is absolutely right D200 over D80 - virtually the same camera but the pro version with more control

D90 is next gen from D200 so will be a slight improvement

Glass holds its value bodies do not!!

I bought 3 lenses 2 years ago that are now worth MORE than I bought them for! The camera cost as much as the 3 lenses and is now worth less than either of the two larger one :) !!!

70-300 looks like a strange choice already having the 18-200 unless you are going to make lots of use of the 300 bit

AFS 50mm f1.4 would work with your current camera and be a great lens to take with you as you move forwards

AFS 35mm f1.8 also a good choice as it is the classic 50mm on a crop body

AF 50mm f1.8 - I have tried this lens (I have two) on a D40x and it is not the easiest thing to manual focus esp at f1.8 end of the scale where you have such a small dof

The 18-200 really does take care of such a wide range doesn't it :) I do think that it might be worth saving for the D200/D90 jump then looking at lenses. It is such a shame that we have this motor/no motor situation with Nikon! My wife is actually in the same situation as you with her D40x and it looks like she is having my old D200 when I replace it with a D300 and we will then either sell the D40x or pass it down too.

Anyway good look making the decision.

Cheers cowasaki, very helpful post. My 18-200 just arrived and it is mint - just need to get it on the D60 and see what it's like. I don't think I'll need the 70-300 to be honest but I will be looking at the AF-S 50mm f1.4 when funds permit. I had a look at D200s on eBay and it would seem like a sensible move to go for one of these rather than the D80. It is a pity about the AF motor in the entry level Nikons but it's still a nice inexpensive camera to start out on. I am going to hold off on replacing the body and aim for a D90 (or equivalent) next year. I'll pop my 18-55 VR kit lens on eBay to try and recoup some of my outlay for the 18-200.
Thanks
D

They are worth a good few pounds being VR I bought one a few months ago on here. Can't remember how much but you should get nearly enough money to buy a AF50mm f1.8 You could always sell your current camera with the lens for maybe £250 and then you only need another £80-100 for a D70/70s/80 body or £150-200 for a D200 body

Cheers cowasaki. I think I'll hold off on the body upgrade for a while now. Just fitted the 18-200 and it's not as big as I expected it to be on the D60 and the range is excellent. Time to sell the 18-55

Cheers cowasaki. I think I'll hold off on the body upgrade for a while now. Just fitted the 18-200 and it's not as big as I expected it to be on the D60 and the range is excellent. Time to sell the 18-55

Its a shame you can't sell it on here. I bought an 18-55 vr for my 2nd body a couple of months ago and cannot remember what I paid possibly about £70-80. I really like the 18-200 but unfortunately it is a DX lens!

Yeah I don't meet the post count and haven't been a member long enough. I'll pop it on eBay and see what I get for it.

I'd be tempted to go for a D200 body, rather than a D80 one. Secondhand there's only £50-100 between them and it's a far more substantial bit of kit.

That's my plan, but keeping my D40 as a second body too.

Just need to find £500 to blow on it!

They are worth a good few pounds being VR I bought one a few months ago on here. Can't remember how much but you should get nearly enough money to buy a AF50mm f1.8 You could always sell your current camera with the lens for maybe £250 and then you only need another £80-100 for a D70/70s/80 body or £150-200 for a D200 body

If the original poster is looking to do a deal with the D60 + lens, we may be able to get to a deal. It is the sort of thing I am looking for.

Chris

Sorry Tulipone, missed your last post. Been looking at D90's and the best price for body only seems to be around the £650 mark. I've had a look on eBay and used D60's seem to be fetching close to the new prices! I'm going to hold off for a while till I can afford a new D90 or if I'm lucky enough to find a mint used one. My D60 is mint with approx 1050 actuations. I will let you know if I decide to sell up though.
Cheers
D

I'd buy the 50mm, I have a D60 and it's helped me get to grips with manual focus, even if it did take a few days. It's a cracking lens, but I wouldn't buy it from Jessops, you can get it for £105 brand new elsewhere. Even better, keep an eye on the classifieds, they always pop up for around £70, I bought one this week and took my other one back to Jessops for a refund as it was still within the 30 day returns period.

It's a cracking lens, fantastic value for money. I also got the Sigma 30mm 1.4 from here for about £220, an even better lens.

Don't let manual focus put you off, it will help your photography in the long run to learn how to do it.

Don't let manual focus put you off, it will help your photography in the long run to learn how to do it.

The problem with manual focusing on a dslr is that its not really designed for manual focus and doesnt have a proper focus screen. It will be hit and miss and put you off.
I would stick with the D60 and use all AF S lenses or upgrade to a D80/200
Allan

The problem with manual focusing on a dslr is that its not really designed for manual focus and doesnt have a proper focus screen. It will be hit and miss and put you off.
I would stick with the D60 and use all AF S lenses or upgrade to a D80/200
Allan

This may be the case, but I've had some great shots from my 50mm. The problem is for us D40/D60 owners is that we either buy the more affordable manual focus lenses, or pay a hell of a lot more for the AF-S lenses. I can't speak for the OP but for me it's a no brainer, I'd rather take the manual option because I simply can't afford to. For example, I paid £70 for my 50mm 1.8, but for the AF-S option, it's £300. Ok so for that you get 1.4, but even so, it's a lot more in terms of outlay.

Dman has a point - there is a fair price difference between AF and AF-S lenses. I think I have made my mind up and I'm going for the D90 and will sell my D60 and kit lens as soon as I get one at the right price. Hopefully, the D90 and the 18-200 together with the AF50mm f1.8 will be a good starting point before I start buying better lenses

Why don't you just go for the 50mm f1.4?
dearer than the f1.8 but it does autofocus on the D60, that's what I'm going for once I punt my sigma 28-300 :naughty:

dearer than the f1.8 but it does autofocus on the D60, that's what I'm going for once I punt my sigma 28-300 :naughty:

Only the AFS 50mm f1.4 autofocuses on the D60 the slightly older AF 50mm f1.4 which is still being sold doesn't so make sure you get the right one. Everyone should have a nifty fifty!

Because its £300. If i do the maths, I can buy a D90 body for £649 from Calumet or Jessops, sell my D60 Kit on eBay for around £300 (based on a quick search). So £50 ish + the cost of the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 D AF, about £100 = £150. I know the f1.4 is a better lens but for £150 more than the cost of the f1.4, I would still have a nice fifty and an upgraded body which I can use non AF-S lenses on. Hope that made sense!

Kinda:thinking:, too late for me to think too much about it... good luck with the sale then(y)

Managed to get a brand new D90 body which should be here for Monday - can't wait!

My D90 arrived today :)
Feels a lot more substantial than the D60 and the screen is excellent. Not had a chance to have a good play with it yet. Feels more balanced with the 18-200 fitted too. Just need to get myself a nifty fifty or possibly a 35mm. I'll have a play with the 18-200 set at 35 and 50 to see which one would suit me best. Got a good price for my D60 and 18-55 too so all is good.
Just need to learn how to use it now!
Cheers
D

I had my D40 since release, and only just upgraded this morning (camera due tomorrow), reason i put it off was i had the lenses i needed at the time, but then the lenses i wanted, paying the extra for AF-S, HSM etc was getting tedious, did i NEED the upgrade just for the motor etc? Probably not, but seemed the right time!

Wish I had done a bit more research (found this place!) before I bought the D60. I don't think I really appreciated the extra cost involved buying AF-S lenses with AF built in over normal AF lenses. I only lost £60 on my D60 and kit lens though so not too expensive to upgrade to the D90.

Good luck with the D90. Glad I read this thread as I am/was considering getting a D40/D40x or a D60 but don't think I have considered enough the fact that these cameras won't auto focus on some of the lenses I may buy. Because of this I may get a D200.

Wish I had done a bit more research (found this place!) before I bought the D60. I don't think I really appreciated the extra cost involved buying AF-S lenses with AF built in over normal AF lenses. I only lost £60 on my D60 and kit lens though so not too expensive to upgrade to the D90.

Sounds good enough, you notice a big difference straight away!

20090818-mf3cbpb7diutk8ffxi5m2wq881.jpg

Extra 400g of weight :cool:

Back