D600 - £2000!

There is a rolling advert on Nikon's homepage, one part of which has a rear view of the camera. It moves realtively quickly if you want to have a look!

Anyone know which sensor this is and what it's high ISO performance is likely to be like ?

• 24.3MP FX CMOS Sensor
• Expeed 3 processor
• 100-6400 ISO (50-25,600 expandable)
• New 39 point AF
• 5.5 frames per second
• Weight of 760grams
• Weather proofed
• 1080p HD Video
• Dual SD card slots and UHS-1 compatible

Regarding the price, the D800 rrp is £2599, available for £2099, a near 20% discount.

The same discount to the d600's rrp of £1955 could bring the price down to under £1600, which may tempt me...

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I've just ordered one from Jessops.

I know it's a bit more than expected, but still cheaper than the D800 (which I felt was overkill for me). I am moving up from the D7000 and have been waiting for this camera as I want to move to full-frame (my commercial work is interiors). One of the features I like is the potential to shoot wirelessly from an iPad so the stylist and I can review images as we shoot - at the moment shooting tethered I have an expensive camera and an expensive mac connected by a cable, it's only a matter of time before an accident occurs!

I will (or at least should) sell my D7000; though it would leave me without a backup camera....anybody else shoot without a backup?

It will be interesting to see what Panamoz can do this for in a few months :)

American prices reflect volume of supply and sales, and do not include tax. Easy to forget when you compare US prices to ours.

£1000 for a full frame sensor was always pie in the sky. The sensor alone costs half that, and as long as silicon remains expensive to mine and process, that will never change.

danbroad said:
American prices reflect volume of supply and sales, and do not include tax. Easy to forget when you compare US prices to ours.

£1000 for a full frame camera was always pie in the sky. The sensor alone costs half that, and as long as silicon remains expensive to mine and process, that will never change.

Launch price is always high, especially in the UK where we have an almost 1:1 $ to £ conversion pricing.

But if you look at what's happened to the D800 prices, they will come down after a few months.

I've been keeping my eye out on the D600 & A99. Now the price is confirmed, it's all but made my mind up for me. The A99 is more but the cost to switch lenses & stuff would be higher. Plus the A99 is a higher spec camera. Had it been the rumoured $1500ish then things may have been different.

Take a look at the a99 thread. Same sensor. iso performance looks very good ans expect nikon to squeeze a little more out of it too.

Disappointing. I foresee a stupidly high price for Ireland. Where you guys get hit with pound to dollar, we get the conversion to euro from sterling, so it hikes up again, and then the mystical Oirish top up. If £2000 = €2490 - it'll be 'rounded up' to about €2600. I'm out. I can get a D800 for €2999 with €210 cash back offer on lenses.

Cheesed off with Nikon. Loads of great but expensive cameras at the high end, lots of choice at the lower end, but naff all in the £800-£2k bracket (ok, in months this will change to £800-£1600) but this is the semi pro/pro/serious amateur territory. They seem to be completely ignoring this area of the market. And taking the useful ISO/Qual/WB buttons off the top and replacing with the consumer button???? Why??

That said, I dont see why people are moaning about the FPS. 5.5 is more than enough for most people 99% of the time.

Disappointing. I foresee a stupidly high price for Ireland. Where you guys get hit with pound to dollar, we get the conversion to euro from sterling, so it hikes up again, and then the mystical Oirish top up. If £2000 = €2490 - it'll be 'rounded up' to about €2600. I'm out. I can get a D800 for €2999 with €210 cash back offer on lenses.
What if you buy it from amazon.de or something? Germany seen to have the best prices in europe.

My main interest in the D600 was that it would offer very good dynamic range and lower noise than the D800, if it performs better than the D800 then it would be worth the money. Frame rates and AF performance are not relevant to my work and I have been holding off buying a D800 because of the unnecessarily large file sizes.

fantastic camera, don't know what's with all the disappointment. it's not meant to be a direct D700 replacement, it's a new section of market "entry level" FX.

considering it is currently competing with 5D mark 2, it is a much better camera. more AF points, better metering, faster shooting, slightly better ISO performance and it's more compact.

but naff all in the £800-£2k bracket (ok, in months this will change to £800-£1600) but this is the semi pro/pro/serious amateur territory.

£1,995 isn't in the £800-£2,000 price range then :shrug:

fantastic camera, don't know what's with all the disappointment. it's not meant to be a direct D700 replacement, it's a new section of market "entry level" FX.

I think the disapointment is because it doesn't cost £1k. Which being realistic was never going to happen

considering it is currently competing with 5D mark 2, it is a much better camera. more AF points, better metering, faster shooting, slightly better ISO performance and it's more compact.

Was the D700 not an entry level FX body then? AF points has dropped from the D700.

My main interest in the D600 was that it would offer very good dynamic range and lower noise than the D800, if it performs better than the D800 then it would be worth the money. Frame rates and AF performance are not relevant to my work and I have been holding off buying a D800 because of the unnecessarily large file sizes.

Agreed; another reason I was reluctant to go up to the D800.

If the price drops by about 20% i think it will be a good deal. How many people machine gun shoot all the time? I can't see 5.5fps being a problem.

For one, the price. It's not full metal body, it's half plastic. I've already hear [Matt Granger has uploaded a vid on it] that it's a stop worse in terms of ISO performance than the D800 - considering it's pushing into the same price territory ...

If it makes you feel any better, and for the other pedantic ones out there, nothing in the £800-£1950 bracket.

why was it being pedantic? Nothing pedantic about pointing out £1,995 is within the £800-£200 price range :D or do you wish something, anything, to whinge about?

Yea the price was a bit of a shock, I'll wait for the reviews first. Has it got any focus/other problems. In Britain we always get ripped off compared to the USA. New cameras are always priced high and it will probably be in short supply for 6 months. It will definitely come down in price. What I cant understand is Nikon have it listed as a Consumer camera on their website.

Some people are never happy! :D

It's a lot of money to most people. And when you have choices in that range, why would you opt for this over a better model? The ISO performance is the main reason I am moving from DX to FX, I would rather have the best on offer ... well, not the D4 ... that's a step too high for me :D

What if you buy it from amazon.de or something? Germany seen to have the best prices in europe.

Good point. I saved almost €300 in the past when buying a Sigma 70-200 from germany. But for a body, I don't know, I like the comfort of buying local in case of disaster. As it happened the Sigma I bought had slight front focus issues. Can't exactly bring it back to the shop that day.

If the price drops anytime soon, I would consider one as back up to a D800 sure. But as it stands, you'd be as well to get a second D800. I'll wait to see the pricing over here. I expect a huge mark up. Typical of this country.

It's a lot of money to most people. And when you have choices in that range, why would you opt for this over a better model? The ISO performance is the main reason I am moving from DX to FX, I would rather have the best on offer ... well, not the D4 ... that's a step too high for me :D

Get a used D3s then.

What is needed in the Nikon range is a true pro body coming in around £1k maybe a bit more. DX would be fine, FX would be great (obviously more like £1500) but to reduce the AF points and to lose the all metal body????

Jessops £1956 with free Sandisk Extreme Pro 16GB. £25 card making it £1931 + Quidco 2% makes it around £1900.

Last edited:
Back