D600 - just how bad is the dust?

I've had my D600 for a couple of months now. Up to about 2.5k clicks. Started noticing the dust spots after about 1.5k.

To me it's a mixed feeling. On the one hand it's very annoying. On the other it's actually not causing me any real problems.

So for example it takes a moment, literally a moment to correct in PS/Lightroom.

I've noticed far more dust issues on my mate's 5DMk2. His sensor is filthy.

So there is an element of getting annoyed for annoyed's sake. Because other than that, I love the D600. I've started using it much more than my D700 and i love that too.

I like the D600 a lot - it's smaller, and I would have preferred the larger pixels on the sensor, but I cannot keep cleaning the sensor every couple of days, especially when travelling with the family. I would have had no problem cleaning twice a month for the first months, but that was by far not enough and the issue didn't seem to get better even after 4000 exposures.

I would have noticed the spots even without knowing about the issue, because some were so big, you could see them at f11, albeit only in the blue sky. I would probably not have noticed how many spots there are, as not all of them are visible at f11.

I understand Nikon's reluctant response, after all, there's a lot of money at stake regarding claims from customers, but it would have been confidence-inspiring if they would have explained the issue and offered a real fix. I can't believe that the problem just seems to persist without any changes to parts or the production process?

I'm glad at least my D800 lives up to the expectations...

Oh dear i spoke too soon, went out today to take some macro shots and its now very visible.
Has annoyed me after saying my one was fine and my D7000 has never had it's sensor cleaned in 2 years.

Does Nikon clean the sensor for free or do i have to stump up the cash?

wilt said:
Oh dear i spoke too soon, went out today to take some macro shots and its now very visible.
Has annoyed me after saying my one was fine and my D7000 has never had it's sensor cleaned in 2 years.

Does Nikon clean the sensor for free or do i have to stump up the cash?

if is oil, it will come back straight away, in the end i give up and took it back.

Surely Nikon should do the respectable thing and recall a D600's for a fix. As this fault doesn't occur on other bodies it should be straightforward for them to pinipoint the cause and provide a fix to authorised repair centres. They need to do it quick to prevent alienating customers.

edit: and if they cannot repair them, replace the bodies free of charge.

Last edited:
Surely Nikon should do the respectable thing and recall a D600's for a fix. As this fault doesn't occur on other bodies it should be straightforward for them to pinipoint the cause and provide a fix to authorised repair centres. They need to do it quick to prevent alienating customers.

edit: and if they cannot repair them, replace the bodies free of charge.

Returned mine without question to John Lewis

Maybe for the owner of a D4 ;-) but for us mere mortals, the D600 is a very solid camera with a lot of decent features. Just consider the price!

That said, the dirt issue was really bad for me, rendered the camera unusable. I just want to say, without this issue, I'd be utterly happy with the D600. AAMOF I hesitate to sell it, I still hope the issue will go away or be fixed one day...

Maybe for the owner of a D4 ;-) but for us mere mortals, the D600 is a very solid camera with a lot of decent features. Just consider the price!

That said, the dirt issue was really bad for me, rendered the camera unusable. I just want to say, without this issue, I'd be utterly happy with the D600. AAMOF I hesitate to sell it, I still hope the issue will go away or be fixed one day...

I sent my three month old D600 back to Nikon via Currys where I bought it from. The dust, oil spots had become really bad.
When it was returned nine days later it had been, according to the invoice, "thoroughly cleaned". But also it stated that parts had been fitted.
This would indicate to me that there is a problem which will return unless some other repair is carried out other than just cleaning.
I have only took a couple of hundred shots since I got it back, so it is too early to say if the problem has been solved.
It is a real pity that this excellent camera has been tarnished with this dirty sensor problem. I have a D3 but the quality of the D600 shots beat the D3.

All sullied by fiddlier controls, plasticky body and weaker AF.

Pfft, that's nitpicking at it's very very best.

I have both the D600 & D700. The controls are different of course...it's a different camera. The D700 has a few more buttons but everything you need is still there albeit in a slightly different layout.

Plasticky body? Really? There's in reality very little difference.

Weaker AF? On paper yes. A couple of times I've missed focus where I think my D700 would have caught it. But 99.9% of the time it nails it just as well.

Don't forget the D600 also has lots of good features too.

I have had my D600 since January and the only problems that I have is the location of a few of the buttons. Like for example I find myself moving the auto focus switch by accident but that is nothing tat a battery grip will not fix.

DUST has never been a problem for me!

Good for you, congrats. I wish I could say the same for my D600. How many exposures have you taken? And have you done a test image at f22 against the clear blue sky or a white wall?

Good for you, congrats. I wish I could say the same for my D600. How many exposures have you taken? And have you done a test image at f22 against the clear blue sky or a white wall?

My D600, serial 600xxxxxx, has taken 1770 exposures Ive had it from new in October last year, Ive had no serious dust issues and not seen any oil. I have taken a few images at f22 as recommended, (the latest being this morning) and the image looks clear, it certainly doesnt have the cluster of spots on the left side of the image. I have just done the same with my D7100 and that actually had some spots but they cleared easily with a rocket blower. I notice that Lensrentals are now saying that the group of cameras they had problems with, are not suffering the problem so much and they believe it is an issue which will go away completely after a few sensor cleans. So, though I know its not great if you have a bad one, the model seems to be getting a bad press which in most cases is undeserved.

Mine was also a 60x serial. Considering that in Lensrentals first batch, _all_ cameras were affected, I think it is safe to say that there is an issue. My camera has more than 4000 exposures and the problem still exists (I bought a D800 just to get rid of the issue for my vacation).

I still say the D600 is a great camera, but the dirt issue is not a minor one. Too many people affected (and 100% of the first Lensrental batch).

Granted, the sensors aren't all speckled like some examples you see on the Internet. But even two or three spots are annoying, if they keep coming back as quickly as they do on my D600.

Mine is a 90x serial. over 1000 pictures so far and no dirt issue at all. may be they did fixed it after all ?

^ hey, where did you get yours from? Just wondering how does the serial number work. 90x seem a big jump from 600 in a space of a few months... unless they represent different factories?

I read somewhere that the serials are assigned in a randomized way, and I also think I remember that 80xxx models were out pretty early on (I think I saw 80xxx numbers on Lensrentals list?). I also think all D600's are made in Thailand, probably at the same facility (someone please correct me if I am wrong).

Never heard of 90xx so far, so if 90 would indeed indicate 'no dirt', that would be highly interesting.

Got my one from Panamoz September of last year, the serial number is 80xxxxx. It does have dusts problem. I'l take it to Fixation either tomorrow or on wednesday.

Can I humbly ask, does your sticker at the bottom of the camera say 'Made in Thailand', and how many photos you have taken? You're the second with e 90xxxx serial who reports that he doesn't have the dirt issues. If this would indicate that they really have been fixed, I'd bring my D600 to the Nikon dealer immediately

My serial is the 6000.... Range and as I said before no problems at all, great camera

Can I humbly ask, does your sticker at the bottom of the camera say 'Made in Thailand', and how many photos you have taken? You're the second with e 90xxxx serial who reports that he doesn't have the dirt issues. If this would indicate that they really have been fixed, I'd bring my D600 to the Nikon dealer immediately

It is made in Thailand, made in dec 2012. Took 1430 picture so far. I think the number 9/8 indicate that it is for Asia markets ?

Could be, I have no idea. I think Lensrentals (who are I think in the US) also had 80xxxx serial numbers in their list of affected cameras, so not sure about whether that's a regional code. But indeed it seems that a lot of people in Europe seem to have 60xxxx serials.

Has any one had a 9xx serial number from a uk supplier. Also does it have the dust problem and number of shoots taken.
I want get this camera but want to reduce the chance of getting one with the problem as much a possible.

Has any one had a 9xx serial number from a uk supplier. Also does it have the dust problem and number of shoots taken.
I want get this camera but want to reduce the chance of getting one with the problem as much a possible.

On my camera Box, there is actually a data stamp on it with the date of dec 16th ? 2012 on it. I am not sure whatever it was put on by nikon or the shop itself ? I think 8/9 means it was intended for Asia market thought. My number is 90074** it could be they just running of number in the 8****** range ? I will check the camera weekly to see if any dirt will appear on the sensor. ;)

Thanks hyeongsoong, I'l try and get one with a 2013 date on rather than going by the serial numbers then.
How soon are the specks appearing for those with the problem.

My first speck appeared at around 370, and they kept reappearing until a shutter count of over 4000. At which point I cleaned the sensor one last time, and bought a D800.

I never sent the camera for cleaning because from everything I read on the Internet I had gotten the impression that there was no fix, all the cameras who had been sent in seemed to come back cleaned, but still having the problem. So I just cleaned the sensor myself, it is a very quick and easy thing to do - albeit not inexpensive if you have to do it often. The swabs are pretty costly.

I still have the D600. There have been a few messages which could indicate that there really is a fix now. If I find this confirmed, I will bring my D600 to a dealer for repair under warranty.

Yep, some people got their shutter replaced, but whenever I read about it, these people also said that it did not fix the problems and the specks came back quickly.

But a week or so ago, I read a posting from someone saying that he got back his D600 from repair last week or the week before, and they had replaced something, and the specks didn't come back for him. OTOH I guess that was also a very short period between him getting back the camera and posting this, so I guess it's better to wait a few more months before I send my camera in.

I like to order online, but with the D600, a good dealer up the road would be my choice. Emphasis is on 'good' - it is important that they are willing to support you, should you have issues comparable to me.

I am over 3000 actuations and the dust is becoming less and less. Infact I gave it a swab today because a few spots were showing at f16. Most of the dust is easily blown off but there is always one or two stubborn spots. I would recommend having a look at the copper hills images site which is in the states. There swab kits are supplied with a wand and either 100 quick strips or pack of pec pads and a bottle of eclipse. Great value and works nicely. Their sensor brush is also supposed to be one of the best you can get.

Back