d600 or d700?

very informative thus far, clearly based on nikon's road map d600 is an entry FF camera vs d700.

Btw, if I were to look at getting a d700, what sort of actuation range should I be looking at?

Difficult to say Vincent, cameras are like cars, some go wrong straight away, some never at all, look for a nice clean non abused sample with some history t it if buying private, i wuuld avoid Ebay, all sorts turn up there so its a gamble

good used ones turn up here regularly

If looking to buy from a dealer then Aperture and Mifsuds are good

Difficult to say Vincent, cameras are like cars, some go wrong straight away, some never at all, look for a nice clean non abused sample with some history t it if buying private, i wuuld avoid Ebay, all sorts turn up there so its a gamble

good used ones turn up here regularly

If looking to buy from a dealer then Aperture and Mifsuds are good

Sometimes you just get lucky, I bought mine off some really dodgy sounding bloke on here, Gary something or other I think ;-) , but everything worked out fine....

Seriously though you do find some good examples, and in my opinion the current S/H price for a D700 makes it an absolute bargain!

Sometimes you just get lucky, I bought mine off some really dodgy sounding bloke on here, Gary something or other I think ;-) , but everything worked out fine....

Seriously though you do find some good examples, and in my opinion the current S/H price for a D700 makes it an absolute bargain!
Ha, ha, glad to hear its all OK Greg, still miss not having one.

Point well made! Inbuilt graphics have come a long way also so i3/i5 with hd4000 is very affordable. Just a shame a 512GB SSD is £280 :)

You don't need that either. They're nice, but not necessary. RAM is dirt cheap. Spend half that amount on memory and you'll never need to use a scratch disk anyway. SSDs are fast, but your main DDR3 memory is faster :)

You don't need that either. They're nice, but not necessary. RAM is dirt cheap. Spend half that amount on memory and you'll never need to use a scratch disk anyway. SSDs are fast, but your main DDR3 memory is faster :)
DDR3 has gone up by about 50% in the last few weeks, was looking at an extra 16gb of crucial for my set up but its gone up to over £90 from £60 in the last few weeks, should have bought it back then

DDR3 has gone up by about 50% in the last few weeks, was looking at an extra 16gb of crucial for my set up but its gone up to over £90 from £60 in the last few weeks, should have bought it back then

16gb of ram?!:eek: is that for your desktop or laptop?

16gb of ram?!:eek: is that for your desktop or laptop?

Should have elaborated, i have an i7 XPS ONE 2710 with 8GB Ram, 2x4gb, theres only 2 slots so i will need to bin the existinG 8GBand upgrade with another 16GB (2X8GB)

I do some large scale panos and occasionally 8GB isnt enough to complete it

Going off the original topic a bit but Gary, what is the screen quality like on the XPS One? I really want a 27" screen for editing photos but I need/want a screen of equal quality of the Apple iMac IPS screens.

Going off the original topic a bit but Gary, what is the screen quality like on the XPS One? I really want a 27" screen for editing photos but I need/want a screen of equal quality of the Apple iMac IPS screens.

Screen is brilliant mate, best ive ever used including the iMacs

but I need/want a screen of equal quality of the Apple iMac IPS screens.

The iMac's screen isn't that great you know. It's not bad... but it's hardly a benchmark for excellence.

The iMac's screen isn't that great you know. It's not bad... but it's hardly a benchmark for excellence.
To say it isnt that great is rather a blanket silly statement David, get it calibrated correctly and its 99.9% as good as you'll get, some just slate it for the glossy screen but thats a personal preference.

It might not be your benchmark for excellence but its the benchmark for many many graphics experts who do require excellence based on what they or their employers buy for their use.

Its as bleeding close as you'll get without spending stupid money on a top end Laci, Eizo or HP

Ive spent as little as £100 on a Dell 2007 and calibrated correctly it was certainally to my eye as good as the 24 inch HP Dreamcolour i used to own and that why i sold it, i really dont know how much more colour accurate you can get than "good enough" for the job.

And neither did gadgeteer say it was the best, he said he wanted a screen equal to the iMac's IPS screen, nowhere did he say he wanted the industry best screen possible.

Touchy :)

Just letting him know it's actually very easy to get a screen better than a iMac screen without breaking the bank.

Thanks all. In my opinion the imac screen is a great screen. I'm sure there will be others out there which are better and that's fine.

But since I got the imac I've been converted to the idea of an all in one which has reduced my jungle of cables to a single power cable. But of course to edit photos properly I need a quality screen. I don't care what operating system etc it's running or what badge it has on the box but the components have to be at least be equal to the imac's. Better is always erm...better.

Thanks all. In my opinion the imac screen is a great screen. I'm sure there will be others out there which are better and that's fine.

But since I got the imac I've been converted to the idea of an all in one which has reduced my jungle of cables to a single power cable. But of course to edit photos properly I need a quality screen. I don't care what operating system etc it's running or what badge it has on the box but the components have to be at least be equal to the imac's. Better is always erm...better.
I just put 16GB in my XPS one 2710 today and it makes a massive difference, picked up 2 x 8GB Transcend modules for £28 per module

Then read it again David, he doesn't even want an iMac :bonk:

The question was asked about the screen on the Dell XPS ONE 2710

I know.. but he wanted to know how it compared to a iMac screen... maybe you should read it again.

Yes, and i told him there was a better one in the XPS one 2710, please read again, DOHHHHHHHHHHHH

Screen is brilliant mate, best ive ever used including the iMacs

Oh and this

But since I got the imac I've been converted to the idea of an all in one which has reduced my jungle of cables to a single power cable.

Didnt realise Eizo, Lacie did all in one systems!!!!!!!!!

David, ill let you win this one, im sick to death of you trying to score points, grow up

All together now, DAVID IS THE WINNER, DAVID IS THE WINNER, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA.

Last edited:
very informative thus far, clearly based on nikon's road map d600 is an entry FF camera vs d700.

Btw, if I were to look at getting a d700, what sort of actuation range should I be looking at?

Just a heads up if you use Quidco....they are offering 10% cashback for Camera/D-SLR purchases made via Currys. The D600 is also eligible for £150 cashback via Nikon. :)

Just a heads up if you use Quidco....they are offering 10% cashback for Camera/D-SLR purchases made via Currys. The D600 is also eligible for £150 cashback via Nikon. :)

you are making the decision tougher for me mate! :thinking:

.... IF they pay out so dont rely on it. Currys is notorious for not paying.

I thought the £150 cashback are from Nikon as nikon has been doing that for some of their latest models.

I've never had an issue with any of the DSG group paying cashback so would have no hesitation in using the Quidco offer.

vcheewei - the Nikon cashback is £150. What twist is referring to is the additonal 10% cashback offer via Quidco.

Where did we get to with this thread, as I'm in the same place.
D300s, that needs to go to FF.
D800 is too expensive.
Less worried about build, but need something that does not feel like a downgrade from the d300s. I have
the mb-d10, with a enel4a battery to complicate things.
The obvious answer Is the d700. But it needs to be technically superior and capable of better pics than the d700.

Btw I guess you all know the £150 cash back is not actually cash back, but a credit/debit card with £150 loaded on it, with an expiry date?

I thought it's a proper cash back like what sony did a couple of years ago.

Still got my credit card with £25 on it from the cash back on the sb 700. And they took 2 months to send it. Surely cash back should be cash back.
It's ok if the item you buy is more than £25, then you have to have a split payment. But it only works with face to face transactions.
Cash is always good. For lots of reasons !

Used to have a D300 and hot a D700 last year. Really blown away with the FF niceness and the great ISO. D600 would be nice, but prefer handling and build of D700.

I've just got mine - with £150 credit. It is Citi card with Nikon branding. It can't be used for ATM transactions just for payments in shops. In the leaflet they mention some fees (£2.50) if you have a balance after 6 months and not using the card. So it is probably better to consume it as fast as you can and discard it.

I've just got mine - with £150 credit. It is Citi card with Nikon branding. It can't be used for ATM transactions just for payments in shops. In the leaflet they mention some fees (£2.50) if you have a balance after 6 months and not using the card. So it is probably better to consume it as fast as you can and discard it.

Ditto.

The card has an expiry date as well, one year from month of issue (i.e. 'Valid thru 04/14')

Back