D610 or 6D

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Million dollar question for me. I am canon user and upgrading to one if these two. Just can't decide which and happy to hear peoples opinions.

Thanks

If you're a Canon user, what's the logic in upgrading to the D610? Do you not currently have any Canon full frame lenses?

If not.. I'd still say stick with Canon... it's what you're used to.

6D would be my choice as an existing Canon user. Just a learning curve for no apparent reason otherwise. Are there any Nikkor lenses that there are no Canon equivalents to? That may be another reason.

I picked 610 up and didn't have a clue where to start!!

Spec wise 610 shapes up better, but will the benefits be obvious within the images?

I picked 610 up and didn't have a clue where to start!!

Spec wise 610 shapes up better, but will the benefits be obvious within the images?

Seriously doubt you'll see any difference in real world use. After all.. 4MP in res is neither here nor there unless you print massively.. in which case a D800E/810 would be a better choice.

In your position I'd go with the 6D.

They are very similar spec cameras aimed at exactly the same type of shooter - if you are a canon shooter then you may as well stick with canon - the only things that draw me to nikon is compatibility with old manual film lenses as i also have a nikon film camera - i also prefer nikon's software to canon's, but a lot of people use 3rd party software so this would not bother most people.

I've just bought a 6D to use alongside my 7D. I worried about losing 'length' with the full frame, I needn't have worried! Maybe only a small pixel count increase but what I'm finding is that I can crop a lot more and still end up with a better image!

Yep... sensor size counts more than resolution when there's such a small difference in resolution.

Af points also sees a considerable difference. Many say flip of a coin....

Can you not stretch up to 5D3 or D810 at all? I will be worth it, as you get better body size, better build, great AF, etc. The rest depends if you want any specific lens only available from one brand, e.g. tilt shift is clearly better with Canon and you get 85mm f/1.2, 135/2, while nikon has 14-24/2.8, etc

I wish!!! Took me ages to get the long haired general to allow me a 2k spend!

They are very similar spec cameras aimed at exactly the same type of shooter - if you are a canon shooter then you may as well stick with canon - the only things that draw me to nikon is compatibility with old manual film lenses as i also have a nikon film camera - i also prefer nikon's software to canon's, but a lot of people use 3rd party software so this would not bother most people.

The Canon 6D can also take Nikon lenses with an adapter :)

The D610 has greater dynamic range but the 6D has a better sensor for high iso work.

HDEW looks interesting with the mkiii!! What's the score with this company?

the main "trump points" of the 6d seem to be that it has built in gps and also thinner & lighter
Nope. The main trump points of the 6D are (1) the OP knows how to use it, and (2) it's compatible with his lenses. Everything else is secondary, unless he has some extremely niche requirements which he hasn't mentioned yet.

Yeah I read snapsort which has in a way thrown cat amongst pigeons!!!

General photography, have a studio setup and got weddings in the diary for 2015

Try Panamoz. Great prices. You might find you can afford a 5d mark iii from there

This firm and HDEW certainly put it in range!! Am just missing out on canon warranty I guess??

According to snapsort d610 vs 6d "The D610 has a slight edge (0.3 f-stops) in low noise, high ISO performance" - the main "trump points" of the 6d seem to be that it has built in gps and also thinner & lighter

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-6D-vs-Nikon-D610

They've probably based this on the DXO score. If you compare images on DP Review and Imaging Resource you may see differently :) I've owned the Sony a7 (which has the same sensor) and the 6D is superior.

Anyway, the best point is made in a post above...if you are used to Canon, then moving to another Canon is by far the easier option!

I went to a 6D from a 500D but seriously considered switching to the d600 which was released at the same time as the 6D. On paper the Nikon was better but in reality the 6D has been great. I'd considered the 5D3/D800 but for travel /landscape stuff that doesn't move that quickly the weight and iso advantages of the 6D - plus the price difference made it for me an easy choice.

Interesting Wayne, guess the question now is whether to buy from panamoz and the likes. Mkiii looking likely now

Not canon am guessing!!!

from HDEW website:

All products come with a standard 1-year manufacturers warranty based on the sales invoice you receive with the product. All you need is to keep the invoice.

In addition we supply an extended cover to allow you to have the product repaired for a further 2 years (3 year guarentee in total). You need to keep the sales invoice and the Xtendcover card, which comes with the product.

not that it should matter too much. These things are pretty well made. If you buy and its f*ed you can return it as normal; they are in UK.

If you buy elsewhere you get 1 year warranty but I imagine you could argue it has to be 2 years according to EU directive.

Seeing as you mentioned weddings perhaps you should buy the same brand as whatever you have as a spare body

Does a spare camera need to be the same brand? If your main camera is reliable then you would not need to use the spare very often.
You have a backup camera because, if you're shooting weddings professionally, you can't afford the risk of an equipment failure screwing things up. One camera fails, you chuck it in the bag, pick up the backup, and carry on seamlessly. You don't want to have to go back to the car to get the other set of lenses, and you don't want to miss shots because the backup camera has all the controls in different places.

Just a thought......if you're VAT registered - most pro's would be, wouldn't they? - you can buy from HDEW and claim the VAT back. Their prices may not be the absolute best but once you've claimed back the VAT you're on to a winner.
only if you're fetching in more than 83k!

only if you're fetching in more than 83k!
Not neccessarily, you can voluntarily register for VAT at any income level (I'm well under the turnover threshold but voluntarily registered for VAT) but it's only practical if all or almost all your income is from B2B clients. If a significant proportion of your income is direct with the public you'd want to avoid registering as long as possible.

If you're making the move from APS-C to APS and you're making the move cleanly and completely (i.e. not hanging onto your current body, have few or no compatible lenses already) then this is a very good opportunity to review the entire market. Sticking with a brand under these circumstances just because you don't want to learn a different system is just another variation of the sunk cost fallacy. Once in a while it's good to look at everything available on the market unconstrained by what you've already got or what you're already used to. You might have been a life-long Canon shooter, but that doesn't mean that the best camera for you right now and for your future plans isn't made by someone else.

I've bought my 6D from HDEW, excellent sales. Not had any experience of customer service so can't comment. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again! If you can afford to go for the 5DMK3 I would, its a bit bigger than the 6D if thats an issue. I don't take any pro pics, but I do find the area of the focus point very limiting, the amount of points are fine! Not a fan of Focus and recompose!

Back