D700 Err message + overexposure problem

GHP

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
Experienced a problem today with my D700.
1st shot was OK, then all subsequent shots were overexposed by about 5 stops !
It also showed "Err" on the top display.
I tried several lenses (both G and D type, with no difference)

Came home, gave the contacts a quick wipe, and it seemed better, not all shots were over exposing, but some did. The Err message wouldn't go away.
Any one else had this?
If I clean the contacts in the body is it OK to use isopropyl alcohol, or is there something better to use?

If not, I'll get it off to Fixation, but would rather not have to if an easy fix is a possibility.
Thanks in advance.

Hopefully not the shutter going. Try different lenses also to eliminate sticky aperture.

Last edited:
Tried 5 different lenses, so not a sticky aperture.
Hadn't used the D700 for a while, maybe I should get it out more !
Any opinion on cleaning the body contacts?

Tried 5 different lenses, so not a sticky aperture.
Hadn't used the D700 for a while, maybe I should get it out more !
Any opinion on cleaning the body contacts?

I can't see how IPA would cause an issue, it's used on all sorts of electric boards etc. Maybe put it on some buds and rub the contact. Safest thing I can think of as won't leave residue. Good luck.

Reactions: GHP
I use isopropyl alcohol on mine, applied with cotton buds. As mentioned above this doesn't leave residue

Reactions: GHP
I use isopropyl alcohol on mine, applied with cotton buds. As mentioned above this doesn't leave residue

I'll try this tomorrow, if I can find someone who sells it.

Thanks for the replies.

1st shot was OK, then all subsequent shots were overexposed by about 5 stops !
It also showed "Err" on the top display.
I tried several lenses (both G and D type, with no difference)
OK, while it's tempting (and quite possibly correct) to assume that the problem is with the contacts, a bit of methodical investigation should remove the need to guess.

It obviously seems to be an aperture problem. So here are a couple of things to try:

- Does the over exposure become less serious as you use faster apertures, and does it go away completely if you use the lens wide open?

- Do you still get the problem with D type lenses if you set the aperture manually on the lens?

- Do you have access to any E type lenses and if do does the problem persist with them?

Back