D700 Screen Issues

Edit My Images
No
My beloved D700 has got a screen problem. The screen stopped working entirely this morning (intermittently). I thought it was maybe because the grip battery was dead and the main battery was low. But now with a fresh battery the screen is coming on - but its a random collection of grey lines (! If I press the menu button or the preview button - I get the same result.

I guess my only option is to return it (its still under guarantee)?

Last edited:
My beloved D700 has got a screen problem. The screen stopped working entirely this morning (intermittently). I thought it was maybe because the grip battery was dead and the main battery was low. But now with a fresh battery the screen is coming on - but its a random collection of grey lines (! If I press the menu button or the preview button - I get the same result.

I guess my only option is to return it (its still under guarantee)?

remove battery for a longer while, charge it, and if it still comes same return it

surely that shouldn't happen regardless of how long he leaves out the battery... I'd be inclined to either contact Nikon or to contact the people who I brought it from for a possible replacement.....

Thats a :nono: esp with a £1700 camera if that is happening....

No question, if in warranty, send it back!
First problem I've heard of with any d700. Gutted

You're not alone. Happened to me twice yesterday. Both times I was formatting the CF card via the menu. Removed the battery and re-fitted it. Been OK since. Weird...

You're not alone. Happened to me twice yesterday. Both times I was formatting the CF card via the menu. Removed the battery and re-fitted it. Been OK since. Weird...

Curious to know Trev... Was that with original Nikon batteries or 3rd party ones :shrug:

Me too... my D700 expired in a similar way and also a few days before the 2 year warranty was due to finish (although I do have an insurance based cover for repairs etc so fingers crossed) I was reviewing pix taken an hour before when the screen displayed a series of tightly packed fine vertical lines in various shades of yellow, pink, brown etc. I turned the camera off and back on again but to no avail. Images on the card were ok though. I'll keep you posted as to progress.

Glad I took out the extra cover now - esp for piece of mind...

Inside the camera there is another battery, looks like a watch battery. It controls the time basically, and some other settings. If you feel brave enough to dig inside and remove that for a good 5 mins or so, do it. Otherwise it needs to go back to Nikon or whoever you bought it from.

I had the grip fitted with non OEM battery. Removed the grip, no change. Then removed the genuine battery. That worked. Had to remove the batteries because while the screen was playing up I couldn't turn the camera off.
Basically I guess it just crashed..

Mine has done this once now too. Genuine battery, fully charged, everything going well up to that point. I removed both batteries but it's not what I wanted to do as it was at a critical moment at a wedding! :(

Update

Crashed 8 times this weekend. Each time whilst formatting the CF card.
Gonna speak NIKON..keep you informed...

Update

Crashed 8 times this weekend. Each time whilst formatting the CF card.
Gonna speak NIKON..keep you informed...

How old is your D700 Trev - Did you get it new & where from if you did - What CF card at that - Just out of curiousity really...

Sorry if I seem to be a nosey git :confused:

Last edited:
How old is your D700 Trev - Did you get it new & where from if you did - What CF card at that - Just out of curiousity really...

Sorry if I seem to be a nosey git :confused:

3 Months old, bought it new from Grays of Westminster. I'm a heavy user, about 25,000 clicks. Genuine Sandisc Extreme 3 cards

3 Months old, bought it new from Grays of Westminster. I'm a heavy user, about 25,000 clicks. Genuine Sandisc Extreme 3 cards

:eek: 25000!!! Crikey you are a heavy user aren't you :LOL:

:thinking: Wonder if its just a bad batch then - mines only a month old, but touch wood I'm not having those problems........ YET

Silly question but would it be an idea to ask GOW if they have had anyone else with the screen problem - but then again it seems that few are having this prob...

Wonder if its within a certain serial number that its happening too...

Last edited:

Do you not format the card using the "hold two buttons down" method Trevor?

I've had both my D700's 12 months now, I reckon they've both done around 30000 clicks and not one problem, but I don't use a grip of any sort or after market batteries.

I've had both my D700's 12 months now, I reckon they've both done around 30000 clicks and not one problem, but I don't use a grip of any sort or after market batteries.

Makes no difference if I take the grip off and only use the OEM battery.

No. Only ever through the Menu.

Does it still come up with the error if you use the buttons method?

Shouldn`t make a difference, just curious.Either way, it needs sorting under warranty.......(y)

Problem is it's inconsistent. Never tried 2button method, don't like it.

Think that they came with the latest firmware already on - mine did from Amazon...

Saved me fiddling with the update :LOL:

Latest

Just got the camera back from Nikon. No explanation of any fault found.
Told me they had given it a Full Service, see how it goes.
I'm apprehensive given that they seem not to be able to pin it down.
Long day shooting Show Jumping tomorrow.
I'll let you know how it performs.

I've never come across this problem before. I hope it's nothing too bad.

Latest

Just got the camera back from Nikon. No explanation of any fault found.
Told me they had given it a Full Service, see how it goes.
I'm apprehensive given that they seem not to be able to pin it down.

:thinking: Was it done under the warranty Trev :shrug

Today

Shot a load of frames. Changed cards every 25 frames or thereabouts. Makes it easier for my assistant to import in small batches. Means I probably used the Menu to format about 40 times.
Happy to report camera was faultless.:)

Back