D7000 and rode mic

Edit My Images
No
I use the d7000 for photography. I have been asked to attend a gaming expo and shoot some video - so I was wondering would the D7000 accommodate a rode shotgun? Not looking to spend loads, but I want clear sound! Suggestions welcome :)

The D7000 has a mic input, so, yes it'll take a Rode mic.

sound was vastly improved when I had my rode mic - definitely a good option to go for

The standard Rode Video Mic is not great on its own on a DSLR- its fairly quiet which means that you have to turn the audio input right up which means you'll get quite a bit of hiss. The Rode Video Mic Pro has a switch to increase the level on the mic meaning less hiss. Or you can use a small headphone amplifier to increase the level. Or better still use an external recorder for audio. Kind of depends how much time/effort/money you want to put into it.

That's excellent thank you for your responses! I don't want to put a huge amount of money in to it. Just wan to make sure the sound quality coming from the people speaking is good enough to overpower the other couple thousand people walking around the place!

The problem you might find with a shotgun mic in that situation is that it will pick up sound infront (and behind) the mic so you'll get the people speaking and the thousands of people and things going on behind them too. You might find a lav mic better if you just want to pic up the people talking on camera.

The problem you might find with a shotgun mic in that situation is that it will pick up sound infront (and behind) the mic so you'll get the people speaking and the thousands of people and things going on behind them too. You might find a lav mic better if you just want to pic up the people talking on camera.

Ok awesome! Ill look in to it! Thanks!

Back