D800 long Exposure Timer Release

Name
Shaheed
Edit My Images
No
Hi

had my first go at some long exposures on the D800 with the yn-603 radio triggers. Just wondering if folk used something different that you can either programme the time into or has a lock facility so you don't keep your finger jammed on the transceiver?

Ta

Shaheed

Cheers. I was wondering if people had personal experience of any?

I bought a cheap £10 jobbie off Amazon for the D7000 and it works great. However it wont work with my D810 as it needs the 10 pin plug not the usb port.

looking into Nikons own unit it looked expensive for what it did hence suggesting the Camranger

looks like the one i have (but i have sony version), 2 downsides are mine needs to be held at a angle sometime to view the display, could just be badly put together, and the beep defaults to on
id suggest thinking of how you would place it when you got it going, a cheapo neoprene bag to hang off part of the tripod is what i do when i remmber....

Could trigger trap do what you want? I currently use it to set long exposures as it's easy to set time period. I already had it so it's saved me buying something else. You have the buy the trigger trap hardware (cable connection and small box) and download the app to your phone or tablet.

I use one of these.

It's never missed a beat. It's got a good wireless range and you can use the receiver itself as a simple shutter release.

The transmitter uses AAA batteries which is fine, but the receiver uses a CR2 which is a bit of an odd size. It's not the sort of thing you'll find in a bog standard shop should you need one when you're out & about. I ordered a bunch of them from Battery Force and keep a handful in my D800 bag.

The wireless aspect eliminates any camera shake that can be transferred along the cable with a normal wired setup. I have messed up a few long exposure shots because I got clumsy whilst waiting for the exposure to finish. Having said that, I still use a wired S/R with my OM-D and have one as a backup for the D800.

Anyhoo, it's certainly worth a look.......

Yongnuo MC36R

Works brilliantly and cheap as chips. Radio remote release, and timer/intervalometer all rolled into one.

This is all you need, plus change from a £5 note..........!

He wanted programmable timer.

Last edited:
Yongnuo MC36R

Works brilliantly and cheap as chips. Radio remote release, and timer/intervalometer all rolled into one.

He wanted programmable timer.

Cheers. This is what I had in mind!

This is all you need, plus change from a £5 note..........!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Remote-Co...raphy_DigitalCamAccess_RL&hash=item3f3a69e55e

Just use a small aperture, and count the seconds in your head. Simples.......

I already use the rf603 transceivers in this way!

...I already use the rf603 transceivers in this way!

Not quite. That's a lockable cord - press button and slide it forward. Does all you want for this particular task.

I have both a basic switch-lock cord and also the timer jobbie, but the simple cord is much easier/smaller/lighter for most things.

I use one of these.

It's never missed a beat. It's got a good wireless range and you can use the receiver itself as a simple shutter release.

The transmitter uses AAA batteries which is fine, but the receiver uses a CR2 which is a bit of an odd size. It's not the sort of thing you'll find in a bog standard shop should you need one when you're out & about. I ordered a bunch of them from Battery Force and keep a handful in my D800 bag.

The wireless aspect eliminates any camera shake that can be transferred along the cable with a normal wired setup. I have messed up a few long exposure shots because I got clumsy whilst waiting for the exposure to finish. Having said that, I still use a wired S/R with my OM-D and have one as a backup for the D800.

Anyhoo, it's certainly worth a look.......

+1 on this.
Also I modified it........the receiver only fits in the hotshoe one way and because it had a red LED it was throwing this light forwards. I filed the 'shoe' on the receiver so it fits in backwards, so to speak. Works perfect. I also have the Camranger which is an excellent bit of equipment but the Yongnuo is easier to just pick up, set up and go.
JohnyT

I use the Nikon branded one and it does exactly what is needed plus a few things more. Expensive though at around £130

You like wasting money? LOL

Back