D850 price difference.

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
B&H Photo New York City or Dodds Cameras Chicago USD$3300. Add in just under USD$300 of sale tax for an all up USD$3,600 price. Divide that by 1.25 (best rate I can find on the dollar today) and you get £2'880.00. Jessops, Wes, LCE etc are all £3,495.00 for body only - so it's over £600 cheaper to buy it in the states. That saving is enough for an economy air fare from London to JFK and a taxi into Manhattan! Wonder what prices HDEW, Digital Rev, Panamoz and other will start quoting once the stock starts moving through...... Yes You have the customs issue to deal with bringing a camera back through but I expect most people just post the manuals etc to their home and carry the camera through in their hand baggage. Not that I would do that obviously....... but that is some saving.

B&H Photo New York City or Dodds Cameras Chicago USD$3300. Add in just under USD$300 of sale tax for an all up USD$3,600 price. Divide that by 1.25 (best rate I can find on the dollar today) and you get £2'880.00. Jessops, Wes, LCE etc are all £3,495.00 for body only - so it's over £600 cheaper to buy it in the states. That saving is enough for an economy air fare from London to JFK and a taxi into Manhattan! Wonder what prices HDEW, Digital Rev, Panamoz and other will start quoting once the stock starts moving through...... Yes You have the customs issue to deal with bringing a camera back through but I expect most people just post the manuals etc to their home and carry the camera through in their hand baggage. Not that I would do that obviously....... but that is some saving.

Yes but if you came back with it boxed they would charge you import duty and maybe VAT on top

Yes but if you came back with it boxed they would charge you import duty and maybe VAT on top

You could always flatten the box & post it on with the manual. ;) Not that I'm advocating that + with it being a new model, they will be fully aware of what to look for if they wanted to anyway.

You could always flatten the box & post it on with the manual. ;) Not that I'm advocating that + with it being a new model, they will be fully aware of what to look for if they wanted to anyway.

Yes you could, I'm just saying in response to the op post

$3300 is the list price right? That's roughly £2560, add on VAT and that's roughly £3070, where's the extra £430 coming from?

The figures I used were with the current exchange rate, if we go back to what it was before the brexit result I get:

$3300 / 1.43 = 2307 * 1.2 = 2768

So the difference amounts to roughly £200, unless you're saying there's an added brexit tax?

When the D800E came out, I forked out €3200 for it. I will never make that mistake again. This camera will come and slot into place like all others before it. If you never really 'needed' it before, you do not need it now. And those thinking on it, just because ... don't even bother unless you are planning to pair it with the highest end glass available.

I dread the thought of people buying this and not even having a lens to stick on - let alone one that will actually reap the benefits of that sensor. And it will happen.

The figures I used were with the current exchange rate, if we go back to what it was before the brexit result I get:

$3300 / 1.43 = 2307 * 1.2 = 2768

So the difference amounts to roughly £200, unless you're saying there's an added brexit tax?

I am being sarcastic with blaming everything on Brexit.

I'm used to the UK having a higher price for imported goods on top of the exchange rate and VAT, its just how things are.

It's 3,500 pounds here.

That's £900 more than the D800E was at launch.

£900 for a few new features and a small increase in resolution. (n) (And the inability to use it with Capture NX2).

Last edited:
I think Jeremy is talking about jumping FROM Canon?

Indeed! But to get back on topic, like Canon, Nikon seem to be deliberately inflating the price here in the UK. Is there any wonder people buy grey?

Might customs ask for the receipt to prove that you bought it in the UK, and paid all the relevant taxes and duties??

Might customs ask for the receipt to prove that you bought it in the UK, and paid all the relevant taxes and duties??

Highly likely I should think.

They'd probably impose a hefty fine if they caught anyone trying to sneak one in - and maybe confiscate the camera altogether.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Absolutely. It's something I personally wouldn't do, hence replying with;
Not that I'm advocating that + with it being a new model, they will be fully aware of what to look for if they wanted to anyway.

When the D800E came out, I forked out €3200 for it. I will never make that mistake again. This camera will come and slot into place like all others before it. If you never really 'needed' it before, you do not need it now. And those thinking on it, just because ... don't even bother unless you are planning to pair it with the highest end glass available.

I dread the thought of people buying this and not even having a lens to stick on - let alone one that will actually reap the benefits of that sensor. And it will happen.

I'm planning to pair one with a 50mm f/1.8, will this cause it to explode? Will my photos smell of poo unless I get better glass?

I am being sarcastic with blaming everything on Brexit.

I'm used to the UK having a higher price for imported goods on top of the exchange rate and VAT, its just how things are.

I was sure that normally besides sticker shock the numbers actually work out but it seems like we're well away from what we should be paying, unless it's the normal price bump shops put on it for the earliest orders? Either way they're doing Panamoz a huge favour.

Have a look at this - http://en.toppreise.ch/prod_503155.html

3485 Swiss Francs (CHF) = 2824 GBP :eek::eek::eek::eek:

£675 cheaper in Switzerland! ***

Have I made a mistake somewhere?

*** Bern & Zurich - https://www.graphicart.ch/shop/de/K...kon/Nikon-DSLR/nikon-d850-digital-camera.html (3 year warranty)

interesting....not in nthe EU though, which might make a difference.

I'm sure all the grey importers will be eyeing up these price differentials with a view to buying their stock at the best price. it won't necessarily be coming from HK.

Last edited:
Indeed! But to get back on topic, like Canon, Nikon seem to be deliberately inflating the price here in the UK. Is there any wonder people buy grey?

Do they do this with all products? If you HAD brought it in the uk and taken it "on holiday" to the us why would you have a receipt?

Yes, you failed to take VAT into account. You have to (legally) pay UK vat on imports from Switzerland as they are not part of the EU.

I'm not saying it's cheaper to import one from Switzerland to the UK.

I'm just saying it's cheaper for a Swiss national to buy one in Switzerland - which backs up the argument that us poor Brits are being ripped off (yet again).

Do they do this with all products? If you HAD brought it in the uk and taken it "on holiday" to the us why would you have a receipt?

The serial number will tell them (customs) where it was purchased.

I'm not saying it's cheaper to import one from Switzerland to the UK.

I'm just saying it's cheaper for a Swiss national to buy one in Switzerland - which backs up the argument that us poor Brits are being ripped off (yet again).
The UK price should drop by £675 when we leave the EU then. ;)
Well only if you campaign successfully for the UK abolish or at least greatly reduce VAT.

Theoretically yes. You can be asked to prove that goods over the £390 (think that’s the limit) value have had UK duty paid on them. These days it’s unlikely, but is still theoretically possible.

Last edited:
That's £900 more than the D800E was at launch.

£900 for a few new features and a small increase in resolution. (n) (And the inability to use it with Capture NX2).
GBP/USD was about 1.6 when the D800E was launched, though, and we're currently below 1.29, compared to 1.49 immediately before the referendum result. Nikon is still gouging us, of course, with a price well above the US price + tax. The reason is probably 'because they can', though they might also be pricing in what they think may happen to the pound over the next few months - it has fallen as low as 1.20 in the post-referendum period, and has mostly been dropping since the beginning of the month.

GBP/USD was about 1.6 when the D800E was launched, though, and we're currently below 1.29, compared to 1.49 immediately before the referendum result. Nikon is still gouging us, of course, with a price well above the US price + tax. The reason is probably 'because they can', though they might also be pricing in what they think may happen to the pound over the next few months - it has fallen as low as 1.20 in the post-referendum period, and has mostly been dropping since the beginning of the month.
Don’t forget the important exchange rate is GBP to JPN Yen....

GBP/USD was about 1.6 when the D800E was launched, though, and we're currently below 1.29.....

I'm not sure the USD is the key factor. All my Nikon stuff has warranty papers from Nikon Europe B.V., which is based in Amsterdam. If Nikon Japan supplies direct to Nikon Europe, the key currency would be the Euro and not the Dollar. So we'd need to compare the GBP/EUR rates between the D800E launch in 2012 and now.

Back