D90 Owners Thread - Anything D90 related

There are rumours that the D90 was going to be stopped, but as far as I am aware they are just that - rumours.

I think it is still too popular for Nikon to stop producing it. And there is still a big difference between the price of the D90 & D7000.

I'm not sure, but I've just come back from a day at Silverstone and got a bit carried away - over 500 shots and the battery is still showing full!

joker2006 said:
How much life do you get between charges on your d90 battery?

Forever and a day.... with kit lenses, with my 70-200 f2.8 and a busy day my battery gets drained a lot quicker!

I was just checking as mine also seems to last for ages. I did over 1000 shots with the sigma 150-500 and two days shooting in Spain and still had half. Not complaining by the way just curious

I was looking at getting a grip for mine id hate to think how long it would last with 2 original batteries in it.

on the subject of the grip, i have the official one... but I swear it doesn't work properly.

I know there are some issues with the connections, and that it can lose power sometimes.

when it is working, and i look up 'battery info' on menus, it only shows a %age power for the left hand battery slot, even when both slots are filled with charged batteries.

is this right?

Ive got a third party grip for mine and I easily get a full days usage from 2 batteries and dont seem to lose much power at all.

On the subject of the grip, is it advisable to detatch it when not using the camera or is it okay for the grip to be permanently connected to the camera and holding batteries?

The reason i ask is that the manufacturer issued some bizzare instruction booklet with the grip and it said in broken English that its 'advised' that the grip be taken off when not in use and batteries removed??

No it's not right. Try swapping the batteries over to see if the problem follows the battery. If you still only see info for the left battery then the problem lies most likely with the grip, it could however be the camera

One more thing you could do is detach the grip and leave the camera without battery power for a few minutes. I've had to do this to restore my D90 to sanity a couple of times. Doing this will also renew the connections between the camera and the grip - it could simply be a bad connection.

You should be OK to leave the grip on all the time - I do.

Last edited:
Is there a Teleconverter available which will work with the D90 and Nikkor Lenses and retain all of the functions?

Is there a Teleconverter available which will work with the D90 and Nikkor Lenses and retain all of the functions?

The Kenko Pro DGX 1.4 and 2.0 will fit most lenses, but depending on the lens may not AF and the IQ might not be that good, more so with the 2.0.

What lenses do you want to use the TC with?

I want the TC mainly for the AF-S Nikkor 70-300, but I also have the original 18-105 kit lens and a Sigma 10-20.

I want the TC mainly for the AF-S Nikkor 70-300, but I also have the original 18-105 kit lens and a Sigma 10-20.

Those lenses are not really suitable for a TC. A 1.4 will make the 70-300 a 420mm f6.3 at the long end. This will make focusing very slow and unreliable as well as taking a loss in IQ.

For a 1.4 TC to work well you want a lens with at least f4 max aperture, for a 2.0TC you want f2.8.

when it is working, and i look up 'battery info' on menus, it only shows a %age power for the left hand battery slot, even when both slots are filled with charged batteries.

is this right?

No, this isn't right. Have you told the camera what type of batteries are being used in the grip? It's in one of the menues.

Those lenses are not really suitable for a TC. A 1.4 will make the 70-300 a 420mm f6.3 at the long end. This will make focusing very slow and unreliable as well as taking a loss in IQ.

For a 1.4 TC to work well you want a lens with at least f4 max aperture, for a 2.0TC you want f2.8.

Thanks everyone for the answers.

As usual, it is a catch 22. I want a TC to extend the range of my Lenses for not much money, but because I didn't spend enough money on the Lenses in the first place, I can't!:crying:

Oh well, if I win the Lottery or one of my 5 Premium Bonds comes up, perhaps I can buy a couple of very fast lenses and a TC.:D

Ordered another battery grip, from link delight, for a friend. Delivered in just a week!

Sent from my iPad using TP Forums

Well I did, I ordered a D90 with the 18-105mm lens (which, having had a play, is going to rapidly become my walkabout I think) and it's coming on Monday. It's joing the rank in my bag with my D40, 18-55 and 55-200 and I can't wait. Too bad I'm working a full day on Monday :bang:

I don't think that you'll regret it ;)

I had a similar problem to you when I got mine though. I bought it on the Wednesday afternoon and started back at work the next morning for a week so didn't get chance to use it properly for all that time :crying:

I ordered it yesterday and was hoping for the option of delivery today (I have the whole weekend off) but I'd left it too late. Oh well, got 2 weeks off later this month so at least I'll have plenty of time! Looking forward to getting in the studio with it. And the 18-105 looks like a superb lens.

And to my surprise it's just turned up, all shiney and new. Now I just have the agonising wait for it to charge :LOL:

I use both of those Nikon lenses with a Kenko 1.4TC without any real problem. AF can be a bit sluggish if the light is getting low (say towards the end of the day) as you lose 1 stop. IQ isn't particularly adversely affected by the TC though.

HTH :)

How do you take a picture with multiple exposures on the D90?

1. Press the BKT button and set the bracketing to 3F by rotating the main command dial. Using the sub-command dial set the exposure increment to whatever you like. I prefer 1 stop intervals.
2.Go to CSM c3 Self-timer. Set the delay time, 5 seconds should be enough to allow the camera and tripod to stabilize. Next, set the number of shots to 3.
3. This step is optional. Go to CSM d6 and set the Continuous Low shooting speed to 4 fps.
4. Press the Release mode button and rotate the main command dial until the self-timer icon appears with the Continuous Low shooting icon above it.
5. Press the shutter release button. After the self-timer delay the camera will perform auto-bracketing with one push of the shutter release button.

Hope this is helpful ?

Just bought a 2x Tele for my siggy 70-200 f2.8.... really don't know why I don't do it earlier..! Only done test shots but they are super Sharp and the af isn't affected!

If u do it, make sure you have a battery grip! The 2x Tele adds another 3 inches to an already long lens :) you need the grip to and on to the thing!!

Just a heads up for anyone looking for a battery grip.

I'd recently purchased the grip from linkdelight on evilbay and I am extremely pleased with it. Big drawback with linkdelight was the long shipping time, approx. 4 weeks, but the cost offset that drawback.

If you go to evilbay, enter d90 grip, the 3rd option down is the same battery grip, with a remote for £24.45! Free delivery and as it's a UK based company it arrives within 2 days (mate just brought one).

That does seem to be a great deal. Though the remote that comes with it is being sold for £2 plus 95p P&P on Amazon.

That does seem to be a great deal. Though the remote that comes with it is being sold for £2 plus 95p P&P on Amazon.

Even without the remote it would be a great deal.

At that type of money and with quick UK delivery, it would be a sin not to try out a battery grip on the D90.

Indeed. Question:- how would the battery life with 6 Eneloops (or whatever) compare to the stock battery in the camera?

Indeed. Question:- how would the battery life with 6 Eneloops (or whatever) compare to the stock battery in the camera?

I envisage the AA battery holder as something that I would use in an emergency, if my batteries died, i.e. it is quite easy to get your hands on AA batteries.

I would suspect, even using the higher rated rechargeable batteries, that they would drain quite quickly.

Just bought a 2x Tele for my siggy 70-200 f2.8.... really don't know why I don't do it earlier..! Only done test shots but they are super Sharp and the af isn't affected!

If u do it, make sure you have a battery grip! The 2x Tele adds another 3 inches to an already long lens :) you need the grip to and on to the thing!!

Is that a nikon 2x??

Morning All
Going to get my d90 and lenses first thing tomorrow :D so I will be a proud member of the d90 owners club on here. There is no strange ritual i have to pass is there :bat: :LOL:
Gary

Morning All
Going to get my d90 and lenses first thing tomorrow :D so I will be a proud member of the d90 owners club on here. There is no strange ritual i have to pass is there :bat: :LOL:
Gary

Welcome to the club, you've got yourself a great camera (y)

No strange rituals :wacky:, just plenty of help and advice.

Hello fellow d90 users. Picked my d90 and lenses Nikon 18-105 up this morning,got an extra £50 off the nikon 70-300 :): bought 2 Sandisk Extreme 4gb class 6 cards.Battery charged up so I have been taking a few pictures. Need to find out how to upload them on here so you can advise me where I am going wrong. Could you please advise me on what tripod and head I should buy in the future.
Thanks
Gary

Back