D90 suitability and other queries...

d_p

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I’d be very grateful for some advice…

I’m returning to photography and am new to digital SLRs (but not digital photography or SLRs) and I’d consider myself a reasonably competent photographer.

Unrealistic as it may be, I’m toying with the idea of seeing if I could make a small (probably very small, if at all!) secondary income as well as having a bit of fun. However, I’m totally bewildered in terms of kit…Based on interests/experience I’m looking predominantly at landscape/motorsport photography. However I don’t want to rule out other subjects that might be saleable i.e. events/products/ possibily portraiture

Other than the obvious give up now…, my queries are as follows:

1) I’m tempted by a D90 as a reasonable compromise/all-rounder having looked at this versus the Canon 50D. But is a D90 going to produce images of a saleable standard (both stock and commissioned work?)

2) I like the feel of the D90 but what are people’s thoughts/expereinces in terms of durability/construction/weatherproofness – is it sufficient for regular use or is it really more a weekend-type enthusiast model?

3) Also, and more importantly, is the speed at which images are recorded on the D90 going to be a hindrance in terms of motorsport photography? I didn’t use a motor-drive on my old SLR so anything these days will be a luxury by comparison but should I be looking for better than what is offered by the D90??

4) Other than the 50D, is there anything else in this rough price bracket worth a look?

5) Will Photoshop Elements suffice for tidying up/producing images that are of a saleable standard?

All thoughts gratefully received!

Thanks in advance.

David

Some great motorsport shots on this forum with D90's, no worries there.
If you're a good enough photographer you'll shoot stock with pretty much anything. (I'm not good enough).
I think a few stock sites have hang ups about resolution but I think the D90 has plenty.

I think I'm about a month ahead of you in all the same aspirations d_p; except about making a second income. I'd like to be able to produce pictures of saleable quality but I don't think I'd go down that route.

I used to have 35mm film SLRs (graduated from Praktica MTL3 to Canon A1 and then Minolta Dynax 5xi Super) and went through the whole black and white printing phase etc, did a family wedding and they all still talk to me, so I'll say I used to be a competent amateur.

So, to cut to the chase, I bought a D90, a second hand 80-200mm f2.8 D lens and am hopefully acquiring a Sigma 105mm Macro lens to take advantage of the fauna around where I stay. I also enjoy motorsport (hence the f2.8 lens) so I'll let you know if it's quick enough on my next outing.

So far, the D90 has been a revelation even with the stock 28-105mm lens and been lots of fun. I toyed with the Canon D5000 rather than aspire to the 50D you allude to but I'm happy - thus far. Just need that extra couple of grand for a good 400mm lens for the bike racing ... ho hum.

But as I say, I'm only a month ahead of you in terms of experience so what do I know? Quote: "The more I learn, the less I realise I know!"

Cheers,
Stephen.

Thanks for the responses.

Ultimately, I just want to have some fun and get some great photos although I have a slight lingering feeling that at D90 level there might understandably be some operational limitations. That said, I’m pretty much decided that the D90 is the way forward for me.

Stephen, I’ve followed a not dis-similar path to you (though thankfully managed to avoid family weddings!) so it’s interesting to hear your thoughts thus far and I look forward to hearing how you get on trackside and seeing the results.

Cheers

David

The only down side to the D90 is that it's not particularly weather-resistant, but as long as you keep of heavy rain you should be okay.

Back