Dales Weekend

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Thought someone would have started a thread by now but ....

Went to the falconry centre today as part of the Dales Weekend organised by Les but unfortunately it tipped it down so bad that the owls had to be displayed indoors :)

All photos taken with my 50d and 70-200 f4L

IMG_1051 by jakeblu, on Flickr

IMG_1070 by jakeblu, on Flickr

Both these taken at high iso either 1600 or 3200 cant check at the moment I'm on the lappy.

When we finally did manage some shots outside it was still portrait stuff

IMG_1091 by jakeblu, on Flickr

And finally a couple in flight

IMG_1147 by jakeblu, on Flickr

IMG_1148 by jakeblu, on Flickr

Their not brilliant but it was my first time shooting captured birds and the weather was terrible, its wasn't easy concentrating on the shot when worrying about knackering my 50D and my unweatherproof L glass :eek:

So lets see some others from this weekend.

Critique welcome.

Just finally to say thanks to Paul (Grumpy Badger) for his help and encouragement today.

Steve

Last edited:
Hi Steve

In light of the conditions I think these are good. Particularly like the visible rain on the barn owl coming in to land. I'd be tempted to play with the white balance on the eagle owl as it looks a bit yellow to me.

Hopefully if we do this again, mother nature will be kinder on the weather front...

Paul

The Barn Owl landing in the rain is a my favourite Steve. Conditions were not nice for you guys on the Sunday.
You were brave to get the camera out at all.
Your not wrong there John :)

Here's a few of the many shots I took on the Saturday visit:

Vulture by J0hnny Thund3r, on Flickr

Love the Vulture, he wasnt so keen on the rain when we were there :D

Thanks to everyone for taking time to view and comment.

Steve

Last edited:
Steve/John,

Great set of images from both of you (y)

Pleasure to meet you both at the weekend too :clap:

Steve/John,
Pleasure to meet you both at the weekend too :clap:

It was a pleasure to meet you too mate, hope we get together again soon.

Hope the missus birthday went well.

Steve

Really good capture of the Barn Owl coming to land Steve (y)

Hard to pick one of yours John all nicely framed and sharp :clap:

John - That snowy owl shot is stunning

Steve - Love the barn owl landing. I seem to barely have a shot in focus of it flying outside, something to do with the lack of contrast I guess :shrug:

Some of my better ones are remarkably similar to some of the ones already posted, so I've not bothered posting them here but they're on my Flickr if anyones interested.

There were a couple of keepers left, thankfully...

Eagle Owl

Gonzo (I know it's a bit dark, it was the only way I could get the highlights back satisfactorily)

Eagle Owl (I need to learn how to clone effectively in Aperture, the jesses spoil it a bit)

Portrait

Steve, your barn owl coming in to land is lovely, and especially impressive given the weather. The colour balance is funny on the portraits - but what with the mix of natural light and fluorescents - whatyagonnado?
John, lovely one of eagle owl in flight with wing blur. and seeing vulture up in the air is great! Certinaly not something we were going to see on Sunday.
And Jim, like the first one with the falconer in the background, and the portrait of the eagle owl.

Last edited:
There were a couple of keepers left, thankfully...

Gonzo (I know it's a bit dark, it was the only way I could get the highlights back satisfactorily)
Nice shot of Gonzo Jim, non of mine came anywhere near. Couldn't even pass them off as 'artistic' :D

Steve, your barn owl coming in to land is lovely, and especially impressive given the weather. The colour balance is funny on the portraits - but what with the mix of natural light and fluorescents - whatyagonnado?

Thanks for the comment Sue, also meant to say thanks for your help and encouragement on Sunday.

Steve

Last edited:
One from Saturday, didn't do so well BIF, bit more practice needed.

5054459285_8f245e1b76_b.jpg

Last edited:
Some really cracking shots in here.

Steve - Particularly like your Barn Owl coming in to land.

Johnn - All yours are stunning. Looks like you really got to grips with them in flight.

Jim - Really like the one with the handler behind the eagle owl.

Neil - Cracking shot of the tonsils!!

I struggled on the Saturday. Scott loaned me a lovely lens and I'm not sure I really did it justice. Particularly found getting them in flight difficult, bits missing on most of my shots.

These are the ones that are passable.

Thanks for all the help Paul and everyone else.

Birds221of273-Edit800.jpg

Birds203of273-Edit800.jpg

Birds244of59-Edit800.jpg

I got a few portraits that I am fairly happy with.

Birds33of273-Edit800.jpg

Birds262of273-Edit-Edit800.jpg

Birds241of273-Edit800.jpg

I think you have done a fantastic job considering it was your first time using the lens and it is quite heavy for a lady...trying not to sound too sexist. Lovely sharp body on the first with wing tip blur, Paul will be impressed.
:clap:

That is a great set Jim. Doesn't matter if they are similar to others, just post them.(y)

Cheers John.

And Jim, like the first one with the falconer in the background, and the portrait of the eagle owl.

Thanks Sue. It kinda ruins the illusion it might be wild though ;) :LOL:
Just been through all the in flight shots and it seems my biggest problem is keeping the focus point actually over the bird :bang:
Paul and yourself gave some great advice, and I just need some practice now.

I struggled on the Saturday. Scott loaned me a lovely lens and I'm not sure I really did it justice. Particularly found getting them in flight difficult, bits missing on most of my shots.

There's some crackers in there Andrea. The flying Vulture looks like he really shouldn't be in the air, and there's a great sense of motion in the eagle owl shot.
And the portraits are lovely (y)

One more of mine, I'm just gutted that the left wing is clipped :( :crying:

Some great shots from everyone. I think Paul can give himself a pat on the back.
Everyone must have listened.(y)

Lots of lovely shots from everyone. :) Here are a few of mine from Saturday, I tried to pick some that weren't too similar to a few already posted....

Andrea - I love the b&w image, I think it works really well.

5067423750_f4bb91f36c_z.jpg

5066831103_838c1f6a13_z.jpg

5067443902_55c654dec9_z.jpg

5066832597_b022485bba_z.jpg

5067423338_d57d940c39_z.jpg

5067421716_47bccf1eca_z.jpg
Shame I clipped his wings.

Last edited:
That is a great set Ali. Like you said, shame about clipping the wing on the last one because it is a great shot.
The Snowy Owl is excellent too. It might be worth trying to remove the jesses and creance to improve it even more.

Thanks Johnny - I'd really like to do a bit of photoshop or similar on these images - especially the jesses in the snowy as you say and the litter bin in the first one, I'll have to learn how to do it.

Here's one more image, which is a bit odd with bits missing but I like it.

5066812161_31c422865f_z.jpg

Back