Damsel

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
This years first decent shot of a damsel with my latest diffusion set up. All comments welcome.

20150503_7468.jpg

TFL

Excellent shot like the composition
It's a large red BTW I'm hoping to find some next week

Very nice Peter, I like the composition too, maybe a bit more central to avoid clipping the left foreleg would have been perfect, but it's not a big deal.

Hoping to see some of these around me soon. Where did you find this one?

Great shot and agree on the clipped leg, keep up the good work and look forward to more shots from you.

Nice shot Peter, with some very good detail. Agree about the composition comments but other than that very nice.(y)

George.

Excellent shot like the composition
It's a large red BTW I'm hoping to find some next week

Thanks Pete and for the ID.

Very nice Peter, I like the composition too, maybe a bit more central to avoid clipping the left foreleg would have been perfect, but it's not a big deal.

Hoping to see some of these around me soon. Where did you find this one?

Great shot and agree on the clipped leg, keep up the good work and look forward to more shots from you.

Nice shot Peter, with some very good detail. Agree about the composition comments but other than that very nice.(y)

George.

Thanks all and appreciate the feedback on the clipping of the leg. Did not spot this until mentioned.

I can see it now! Nice pic Peter with good detail.

Glad you can now see it Neil and thanks

Nice picture Peter... care to share with us your new diffusion setup? :D ;)

I dont have a picture as yet so hope this description makes sense. I have the Olympus FS-STF22 twin flash, the twin flash heads sit on top of 2 Cokin P hoods attached to a P holder fitted to my lens. I have a piece of card with a hole sitting in the P Cokin filter holder (where the filters usually go) covered with tinfoil. Packing foam sits between the flash heads and the hood. Plus for this shot I also added vellum paper (slightly bent outwards) in front of the flash heads.

Thanks will be good to see but yes your setup makes sense and I fully know what you have done, thanks again for the info :D

I like the composition - always good to see something different. I dont mind the truncated leg - would have changed the composition if you had attempted to get it all in.

Disagree with it being a large red (eyes are more stripey on a large red). I would guess at a blue tailed damselfly - but it is hard to be sure given how little we can see.

The eyes of teneral (newly emerged) Odonata (Damselflies & Dragonflies) are not always the colour they become.

Also, the trouble with using diffusers is that they usually deaden the eyes and this matt effect doesn't help identification in the absence of other photos.

Stating where this Damselfly was photographed will also help identification. Large Red Damselfies (Pyrrhosoma nymphula) are usually the first to emerge in the UK and the 2015 flight season is later than last year.

I like the composition - always good to see something different. I dont mind the truncated leg - would have changed the composition if you had attempted to get it all in.

Disagree with it being a large red (eyes are more stripey on a large red). I would guess at a blue tailed damselfly - but it is hard to be sure given how little we can see.

Very nice shot - I don't believe it was a large red either.

The eyes of teneral (newly emerged) Odonata (Damselflies & Dragonflies) are not always the colour they become.

Also, the trouble with using diffusers is that they usually deaden the eyes and this matt effect doesn't help identification in the absence of other photos.

Stating where this Damselfly was photographed will also help identification. Large Red Damselfies (Pyrrhosoma nymphula) are usually the first to emerge in the UK and the 2015 flight season is later than last year.

Thanks all. I do not have any other shots showing more plus I spotted several different types on the wing at Blashford Lakes reserve in Hampshire that day, including blue-tails and possible common blue/azures

Thanks all. I do not have any other shots showing more plus I spotted several different types on the wing at Blashford Lakes reserve in Hampshire that day, including blue-tails and possible common blue/azures

....All those other species you mention have been sighted this season. May I have your permission please to borrow your photo and post it on the 'UK Dragonflies & Damselflies' group page I Admin on Facebook to see if one of the expert members can ID it for you? Of course if you are on Facebook and want to join....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/561222590593478/

Robin

Back