Dancing globby..

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Well, not really, this Dicyrtomina saundersi is actually doing it's distinctive leg wiggle before 'springing' away, except he never got round to the actual jump.

Dancing globby...

Night fever, night fever.... by markhortonphotography, on Flickr

to the left, to the left... by markhortonphotography, on Flickr

He wandered into shot while I was taking pics of this slime mould.

slime mould... by markhortonphotography, on Flickr

Frustratingly it never got near enough to get in the same shot. You can see the faint sign of the slime mould in the back of one of these low POV shots

attention seeker by markhortonphotography, on Flickr

ION:
Anyone else that entered the OPOTY Small World comp might be as irritated as me by this blog on their site by one of the judges.

This doesn't bode well for any macro shots (or all but one of the categories really) winning the top prize. Now I was in no way expected to win anything, but I wish they'd mentioned their focus lay in this direction before the money was out of our Paypal accounts. Also good to know how easy my photos are to take, having no people in them at all.

http://www.opoty.co.uk/pages/blog/

A common theme in most of the pictures I take, and the images I drool over, is that they have people in them. In previous OPOTY competitions I’ve judged, photos with people have been pretty rare but it is definitely something I’d like to see more of. Adding people (trust me on this) gives another element to an image and shows the photographer’s skill. The bigger the number of people in a picture, the higher the skill of the photographer – so hats off to wedding photographers!

The person awarded Outdoor Photographer of the Year doesn’t have to have spent loads of money to produce a winning image, it’s just about getting out there, using a little bit of luck and (for my preference) including people in the scene.

Great shots Mark especially the first two.

Fantastic images Mark. Did you manage to see the vesicles shooting out as part of this "dance"? - I've seen video clips of them doing this right before the jump. As you say this one didn't actually jump, maybe it was just having a stretch ;)

I agree it's a shame it didn't walk up to the slime mould, that would have been really nice.

"The bigger the number of people in a picture, the higher the skill of the photographer" Er... you what? Kinda glad I missed the deadline if that's the type of nonsense the judging panel believe...

This one is fairly close to moulting by the look of it's feet, maybe they lose the ability to spring at that point?

Never caught everted vesicles as yet, at least not on a live one.

Great set Mark and what utter nonsense from that comp.

Glad I didn't enter.

Interesting wiggle dance never seen one do that before maybe it was actually trying to moult.

Slime mould looks a tad on the blue side but great find again not something I remember seeing and to get both in a shot would be ace.

Really good set Mark I like them all, but the first two plus the slime mould shots are right on the money.(y)

George.

Last edited:
Awesome!! I've only ever manage to get them in a single frame, and then so blurry as to not be worth keeping. That's fantastic, they look like they are being put to good use there to right itself.

They really do shoot out very quickly, blink and you'll miss it. I saw a video someone posted on flickr (IIRC) once that showed it. I'll see if I can find it again.

Excellent image Mark!!

Back