Critique Danish Merlins at RAF Valley

Hi Paul, those do look like big beasts! For me, the first one doesn't come off, the huge foreshortening of the rotor just looks wrong. The second one is better, though again the nose cone looks huge, and the effect of the cut-off rotors taking my eye out of the frame is a bit odd. But I really like the 3rd one; the sky is great, the Merlin looks undistorted, and they are seen in context that makes sense of the whole thing. Excellent shot!

Hi Paul, those do look like big beasts! For me, the first one doesn't come off, the huge foreshortening of the rotor just looks wrong. The second one is better, though again the nose cone looks huge, and the effect of the cut-off rotors taking my eye out of the frame is a bit odd.

That'll be the joys of shooting at 10mm (albeit on a crop sensor!)

But I really like the 3rd one; the sky is great, the Merlin looks undistorted, and they are seen in context that makes sense of the whole thing. Excellent shot!

Cheers, Lightroom was used to brighten the shadows!

Really nice set Paul, love the angle they were taken at, the lens is that a Canon 10-22?

I can see why, they are really sharp, I am thinking about getting an UWA and thinking about that lens as well.
I highly recommend it. Some of the 'interior' shots in my Air to Air Merlin thread were taken with this lens. It's really robust and seems to do great things to skies!

I highly recommend it. Some of the 'interior' shots in my Air to Air Merlin thread were taken with this lens. It's really robust and seems to do great things to skies!

and that was a really great set of pictures as well (y). I will give the lens some seroius thought, thanks for your advice.

Back