Danny & Annabel Wedding

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
No
A great day with some much needed sunshine (I've had some pretty rotten luck so far this year with my weddings). Arley Hall is a beautiful venue...

There's more images on the blog post: Arley Hall Wedding

Annabel-Danny0002.jpg

Annabel-Danny0003.jpg

Annabel-Danny0004.jpg

Annabel-Danny0005.jpg

Annabel-Danny0006.jpg

Annabel-Danny0007.jpg

Annabel-Danny0008.jpg

Annabel-Danny0009.jpg

There's some excellent stuff there, but seeing as how you're a professional, this FWIW from a retired professional wedding photographer myself

#1 Been there, done that, felt the frustration. There's a lovely picture there, but that's not it: the light on them is great, the expressions are OK, but the picture doesn't work. Why? Because when you look at that picture you see the light, the expressions, the moment. Everybody else sees them small in the frame, surrounded by seriously distracting clutter.

#2 Maybe a little too much tilt up considering the sky's not all that exciting

#3 Fine

#4 A cracking good shot

#5 IMO it simply doesn't work. With a macro lens it might have done, but even then ... why bother? How disappointed do you reckon your customers would be without an unexciting picture of their rings? And besides, how weird is it that some wedding photographers feel obliged to take the couples' rings away to do what amounts to a pack shot of them, thereby missing interesting stuff going on meanwhile?

#6 A fair enough attempt at a British Standard Getting Ready Picture, but it looks set up (not saying it is, just that it looks like it is). I bet as you get more experience, you'll find yourself getting in more with a shorter focal length to get some dynamic into the shot.

#7 I'm not sure about the composition. She's sharper than the reflection is so she needs to be dominant in the frame, and it's not obvious to me how you could arrange that after you've taken it.

#8 Safe, but wasn't really going to work because the bouquet's the same tones as the background, which isn't OOF enough to make the bouquet stand out from it

#9 -11 are well caught, as is 13 (but I bet you wish you's leaned a tad to your left!)

#12 framing's nice but you just missed the moment. Tell her not to use the tissue next time she does that ...

#14 - 17 yep, what's not to like?

#18 for my money it's cropped a bit too wide, but whatever

#19 a bit too much foreground - and your white balance looks a bit off on that one to me

#20 something doesn't quite work as well as it could with that one, but you'd need a trad snapper to say how you could have improved it.

#21 - 22 nicely caught

#23 I don't think that works at all as it is, but it might with a tighter crop

#24 I reckon if you'd got in close with a shorter focal length and got some dynamic into it, that would have been a little gem

So, not a lot wrong there IMO. You must have worked your socks off at that gig to get the range of shots, and it was worth it because I'm sure they'll be dead chuffed with their snaps.

I'm well impressed by how you're trying to cover all bases from documentary to trad and you're succeeding, but I'm wondering about two things. Did you shoot that one using primes? And are you not a fan of wide angle lenses, or is it just that you don't feel all that confident getting in closer to the action at times?

Some really nice shots there and actually reminded me a bit of my own work in terms of style and processing :)

The mirror reflection shot is one I'd say you missed a trick on... The shot is very nicely set up and done but all those magazines on the window ledge should have been removed prior to the shot, they just distract a little and it's a real shame IMO.

Really good set though and I bet the couple will be over the moon with them

There's some excellent stuff there, but seeing as how you're a professional, this FWIW from a retired professional wedding photographer myself

#1 Been there, done that, felt the frustration. There's a lovely picture there, but that's not it: the light on them is great, the expressions are OK, but the picture doesn't work. Why? Because when you look at that picture you see the light, the expressions, the moment. Everybody else sees them small in the frame, surrounded by seriously distracting clutter.

#2 Maybe a little too much tilt up considering the sky's not all that exciting

#3 Fine

#4 A cracking good shot

#5 IMO it simply doesn't work. With a macro lens it might have done, but even then ... why bother? How disappointed do you reckon your customers would be without an unexciting picture of their rings? And besides, how weird is it that some wedding photographers feel obliged to take the couples' rings away to do what amounts to a pack shot of them, thereby missing interesting stuff going on meanwhile?

#6 A fair enough attempt at a British Standard Getting Ready Picture, but it looks set up (not saying it is, just that it looks like it is). I bet as you get more experience, you'll find yourself getting in more with a shorter focal length to get some dynamic into the shot.

#7 I'm not sure about the composition. She's sharper than the reflection is so she needs to be dominant in the frame, and it's not obvious to me how you could arrange that after you've taken it.

#8 Safe, but wasn't really going to work because the bouquet's the same tones as the background, which isn't OOF enough to make the bouquet stand out from it

#9 -11 are well caught, as is 13 (but I bet you wish you's leaned a tad to your left!)

#12 framing's nice but you just missed the moment. Tell her not to use the tissue next time she does that ...

#14 - 17 yep, what's not to like?

#18 for my money it's cropped a bit too wide, but whatever

#19 a bit too much foreground - and your white balance looks a bit off on that one to me

#20 something doesn't quite work as well as it could with that one, but you'd need a trad snapper to say how you could have improved it.

#21 - 22 nicely caught

#23 I don't think that works at all as it is, but it might with a tighter crop

#24 I reckon if you'd got in close with a shorter focal length and got some dynamic into it, that would have been a little gem

So, not a lot wrong there IMO. You must have worked your socks off at that gig to get the range of shots, and it was worth it because I'm sure they'll be dead chuffed with their snaps.

I'm well impressed by how you're trying to cover all bases from documentary to trad and you're succeeding, but I'm wondering about two things. Did you shoot that one using primes? And are you not a fan of wide angle lenses, or is it just that you don't feel all that confident getting in closer to the action at times?

That's some great critique, I have swapped the 24-70 for a 35mm 1.4 much to the dismay of several peers. I just hate the wide angle distortion, hate hate HATE it. No matter how much faffing around in Photoshop it still doesn't look right; so to answer your question, YES I don't like wide angle. That plus the fact that 1.4 really helps with a body which is pretty terrible in low light. The telephoto shots are all with the 70-200.

Thanks for the great feedback.

You're welcome chum. Glad you took it in the spirit I gave it :)

Hi
I don't feel at the moment confident or qualified enough to give detailed critique, but what I can say is I really like your style and the couple will be over the moon with these, I would agree thou with Sid on #5 I think the rings are a little lost getting in closer would of really improved the shot

Nice work

Mickey

Some really nice shots there and actually reminded me a bit of my own work in terms of style and processing :)

The mirror reflection shot is one I'd say you missed a trick on... The shot is very nicely set up and done but all those magazines on the window ledge should have been removed prior to the shot, they just distract a little and it's a real shame IMO.

Really good set though and I bet the couple will be over the moon with them

Thanks Andy, your stuff is good so I'll take that as a compliment.

Hi
I don't feel at the moment confident or qualified enough to give detailed critique, but what I can say is I really like your style and the couple will be over the moon with these, I would agree thou with Sid on #5 I think the rings are a little lost getting in closer would of really improved the shot

Nice work

Mickey

I know what you mean with #5, it was my first wedding with the 35mm, I'd usually have used the 70-200 for these. They looked fine on the screen :(

I really like these. I can't add or give any detailed critique like Sid but as a whole, I think they are very good indeed. :)

Good stuff, particularly like #16.

Hats off to Sid for the detailed crit too!

Back