Dark prints

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys made a few orders with DSCL now and i know its something im doing but everytime i order the prints always come darker than i expected.

Im using 2 montitors to edit photos and i check on both to make sure they look good.

Why are they coming back a lot darker?

They are printed printed on the gloss paper and im selecting pre sized pro only.

Any ideas?

If they are consistently dark on every order, sounds like a monitor issue.

You need to buy a device to do this, something like a Spyder or ColorMunki. I use a Spyder3, takes 10-20 minutes teh first timer and then a few minutes once a month to check the calibration. Because it works behind the scenes it can make more adjustments than you can make yourself twiddling the dials on the screen.

A short-term solution would be to remember that you need to boost the brightness on an image before sending to DSCL, a better solution is to calibrate your monitor. That would allow you to be consistent for brightness, colour temperature, etc.

I need to calibrate too but read somewhere it can't be done on a lap top. Does anyone know if this is true?

I'm typing this reply on a laptop with a calibrated screen. If yiou occasnionally plug your laptop into a monitor as well, that may cause problems for the cheaper calibration options if they don't support multiple calibrations. If you check out the Spyder and look at the manufacturers page you'll see that moving up the range buys additional options.

How do you calibrate an iPad ? I have a Huey pro. Are the iPads accurate?

Cheers

I have the spider 3 (express?). Anyway it's the cheaper one which the specs say can only calibrate one screen, I however run dual screens and I calibrate both of mine using this device.

You just have to do one at a time and rename the colour profile before you do the second monitor.

Back