Dartmoor

Edit My Images
Yes
Edit3.jpg

So much to learn. Please can I have some tips on how to improve my editing of the sky.

I think the sky is a better part of it :)

Edit4.jpg
What can I do with this sky please and is the image over sharpened? I'm not quite sure what went wrong.

You shot into the sun without adjusting your exposure accordingly.

On the first one, it looks like the sun was hitting the lens, did you use a lenshood?

I would like some haze removal, some is distance haze, but I think some is sun on the lens.
I'm not a liker of distance haze in that kind of shot.

Only look at the haze removal here, not any other adjustment :)

Attachments

• dm1.jpg
    dm1.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 12
View attachment 407505
What can I do with this sky please and is the image over sharpened? I'm not quite sure what went wrong.
Very little you can do now, there is nothing to do anything with.

Many are not in favour of them, but I would have tried a graduated ND filter there

It can be made to look slightly better

dm4.jpg

Last edited:
It's totally blown the highlights. Sad to say you won't recover that Hawthorn. There is nothing there to rescue. I can see you've got an idea about composition, but you have to learn to work with light, not look it in the face.

Thanks for the replies. I think I have some images where I exposed for the sky but they turned out too dark on the land. I might try and swap the sky into these, though i would need to learn how. I don't own any filters so that wasn't an option.

Thanks for the replies. I think I have some images where I exposed for the sky but they turned out too dark on the land. I might try and swap the sky into these, though i would need to learn how. I don't own any filters so that wasn't an option.
That should work OK
If you want to do that in future, set the camera to bracket the exposure, and set the exposure compensation to -2, then all the shots you need will be framed exactly the same, makes it easier to edit.
Or you could try an HDR merge from those shots, and lower the tone mapping right down.

That should work OK
If you want to do that in future, set the camera to bracket the exposure, and set the exposure compensation to -2, then all the shots you need will be framed exactly the same, makes it easier to edit.
Or you could try an HDR merge from those shots, and lower the tone mapping right down.
Lots to learn there. Thankyou.

Yes, they will do. You can raise the shadows in a simple photo editing program like Fastone. Even the native Windows app will do it for you. Most of the time that will work fine. I'm not familiar with your camera. But you can probably see the effect your changes are having in real time on the screen. Play around with it and you'll be amazed at the difference. Don't worry about the inbuilt meter. You can alter your exposure afterwards once you have uploaded it to your computer.

Well a lot has been said about the sky, but I also think the foreground (the 2 large rocks) are not as sharp as they should be.
I think the camera has focused on the distant hillside and with a shallow depth of field, (large aperture), has left the foreground out of focus.

Well a lot has been said about the sky, but I also think the foreground (the 2 large rocks) are not as sharp as they should be.
I think the camera has focused on the distant hillside and with a shallow depth of field, (large aperture), has left the foreground out of focus.
I think that's pretty much it.

Back