Dave...my first portrait!

Name
Janet
Edit My Images
Yes
My first real attempt at a portrait rather than just a snapshot.

4134651602_afe7787052.jpg

Janet

My feeling is that a portrait as such is seeing a little more of the face , I am looking down his ear and a bit up his nose, this would have been solved by turning his head a little towards camera

Bit of a double take - I thought the I knew the sitter.

I like the clarity and colour and there is a lot of potential in the face.

I sort of agree with Philli_Mac but I think the pose in great and as opposed to moving the subject you should have moved to the right a few feet and taken the shot slightly lower.

Nice work! x2 with Phillip_Mac's comment.

My feeling is that a portrait as such is seeing a little more of the face , I am looking down his ear and a bit up his nose, this would have been solved by turning his head a little towards camera

I agree here but I still like it anyway
technically, the DOF, colour, contrast, detail, etc, all very strong.

I feel this is just a sharp candid snap I'm afraid. A portrait should really be about character and engaging the subject to some degree.

This is the kind of pose that requires more in the image, some context to it. What is the vista or subject he is looking at? Mind, I also love this kind of image where you have the person looking out of the edge of the frame, and the context being behind him.

Here though you have a good pose that doesn't work because of the lack of context, so it becomes an image of someone's beard or ear. As a result, the eye is trying to finish the story, and therefore wants to see more of the face.

but for you first portrait, well done, it's great to experiment and make discoveries of how you can tell people's stories.

Back