Dawn at Llyn Dywarchen - Snowdonia

I really like this, how much processing is involved to get the sky so clear in the reflection!?

Brilliant!

Jason

Hello Rory very nice indeed, it also appears we where passing ships i had a feeling that was you this morning your dog being the give away, i would just like to say how well behaved he/she was from what i could see, never left your side once and there where plenty of sheep around too, i was up on the ridge :) liking your photo nicely processed too, as the light wasn't its best today (y)

Hello Rory very nice indeed, it also appears we where passing ships i had a feeling that was you this morning your dog being the give away, i would just like to say how well behaved he/she was from what i could see, never left your side once and there where plenty of sheep around too, i was up on the ridge :) liking your photo nicely processed too, as the light wasn't its best today (y)

Ahhh so it was you. I had my MP3 player on loud listening to Radio 2 and lashings of midge spray !!!

Yes, Gel does stick quite close and ignores the sheep until he's told to round them up(y)

I was expecting better things however I'm glad I went there as I saw another shot and reflection in the lake with my back to the sun. I'll make a return visit sometime soon.

Cheers,

Rory

I really like this, how much processing is involved to get the sky so clear in the reflection!?

Brilliant!

Jason
Hi Jason,

This took around 5 minutes to process as soon as I arrived home this morning and I wanted a quick look before I set off for the mach loop for some low level aircraft shots.
I used a polarising filter on the 10-22 lens to maximise the blue in the sky. For PP I took 6 shots in quick succession to make up a HDR set.
Cheers,

Rory

tutorial
http://abduzeedo.com/how-create-hdr-photos-hdrphotomatix-tutorial

Last edited:
Hi,

HDR is something I'm starting to experiment with myself, despite not been overly keen on some I see it's shots like this that have made me give it a go, nicely done(y)

Simon

You're a braver man than I, I couldn't be bothered fighting the midges in all that bracken to get up there!

I can't help but think you could have done with moving ove rto the right and turned the camera to the let a tad with this though? :thinking: Suppose it may have ended up with too much of that wall in the shot maybe?

I love this, haven't ever tried HDR but I must having seen this, I guess there is lots of information somewhere on TP?

I love this, haven't ever tried HDR but I must having seen this, I guess there is lots of information somewhere on TP?

HDR is a Marmite subject on this forum. I rarely comment on the endless I like and I don't like HDR etc etc threads.
If you google HDR you will get some fantastic sites with tips and tricks etc

Once you get used to the process it is very simple to use especially Photomatix.

Cheers,

Rory

You're a braver man than I, I couldn't be bothered fighting the midges in all that bracken to get up there!

I can't help but think you could have done with moving ove rto the right and turned the camera to the let a tad with this though? :thinking: Suppose it may have ended up with too much of that wall in the shot maybe?

Yes I see what you mean about the wall. Thanks.

Alan......just a bit further up

original.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

HDR is something I'm starting to experiment with myself, despite not been overly keen on some I see it's shots like this that have made me give it a go, nicely done(y)

Simon
Thanks Simon.
I tried to make it look as real as possible. For some odd reason the grass always tends to give the game away (as grasses usually do;)) so occasionally I have to hold back in these areas. I use Photomatix which I think is far superior and quicker than NIK HDR which regret wasting my money on a few months ago.

Cheers,

Rory

very well framed and composed, but i just think the HDR is a bit too much for my tastes, if it were a tad lower then it would be perfect :)

I think it is a lovely image, HDR or not. (y)

As soon as HDR is mentioned some people instantly dismiss images. :shrug: Although a lot of HDR images are hideously overdone, I like to see what I think on an image by image basis.

Maybe the green in the glass could be toned down a touch. It didn't scream out HDR to me, which is normally a good think for me.

Class shots! I thought they were HDR and these are the kind of photos that give HDR a good name.

Fantastic shots and great reflections, #1 edges it for me with the sky detail.
Certainly one of the best times of day to shoot!

Good work! :clap:

I love the HDR effect on this. I have tried it myself using Photomatix with awful, awful results. Great reflections.

Now I'm torn, I prefer the forground in the 2nd shot but the sky of the first!

Back