dawn on the northumberland coast!

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Went out this morning to catch the sunrise, was out the house by 4:15 am :puke:

went to blyth beach and also st marys lighthouse.

tried out a few varying processing styles including some HDR, hope you like them.

i struggled a bit with the sky whn the sun had risen a bit even with my nd grads.

all taken with canon 550D and sigma 10-20 with ND grads

1) HDR of 3 bracketed shots at f16

2) 2 sec // ƒ/22 // ISO100 // 10 mm

3) 1 sec // ƒ/16 // ISO100 // 13 mm

4) 1.6 sec // ƒ/16 // ISO100 // 10 mm

5)10 sec // ƒ/22 // ISO100 // 10 mm

6) 1/60 // ƒ/11 // ISO200 // 10 mm

Last edited:
Really like the first 2! 3 was going to be my pick of the bunch, until I scrolled down and saw your wellies! A really well composed set.

Thanks :) I couldnt decide whether the wellies shot would work or not!

Some cracking shots there Nick, i love number 3 with the wellington boots in the shot.

It was a spur of the moment idea but I'm glad I did it as I think it paid off :) it was nice sitting watching the sun coming up with nobody else around!

Yes - I like the 'boots' shot as well

James

Many thanks :)

Cracking set Nick. Sorry I couldn't make it. My wellies have sprung a leak anyway, so yours would have put them to shame ... lol

No worries Alan, it was bloody freezing mind! Last time I went to the beach I wrecked my trainers so though better of it and donned the wellies lol, hope everythings ok at your end too (y)

Brilliant set Nick! Getting up at that hour is real dedication, especially as the weather has been hit n miss lately.

Oh, and number 3 is my pick of the bunch. Really original :)

I've been stuck in the house for the last week or so as my wife's studying for her final exam at uni so I took full advantage of being allowed out to play this morning. She wasn't happy about having to set an alarm for me though lol. Luckily the weather held out and was really nice :)
Glad you like the pics :)

Cheers everyone (y)

Last edited:
Nice set of images well done.

The wellies is a cracker.

I like all of them. I think the first could do to lose a touch from the bottom of frame. 5 i really like, and I love the light in 6 and 7.
Well worth getting up early for. You have inspired me to try and do the same!

Thanks for the comments everyone :)

Its really good cut make sure you check check and check again for focus issues and softness as mines gone a bit soft on the left hand side occasionally :)

Do you use any ND or Grad ND filters with sigma 10-20?

I have a cokin P holder for normal 18-55 lens, with Cokin Grad NDs.

Nice Nick though the only thing I'd say is some look soft into the image.... Are you using a sigma 10-20?

Edit...I just re-read through and seen the 10-20 mention. F16 can throw up softness into the image, from my experience with this lens I'd use it in ap mode with it set at f8 and let the camera work out the shutter speed, the images will be sharp all the way through (y)

Last edited:
Nice Nick though the only thing I'd say is some look soft into the image.... Are you using a sigma 10-20?

Edit...I just re-read through and seen the 10-20 mention. F16 can throw up softness into the image, from my experience with this lens I'd use it in ap mode with it set at f8 and let the camera work out the shutter speed, the images will be sharp all the way through (y)

I do usually shoot at f8 but lately I've noticed some softness on the left side at f8 which is annoying. Waiting until I've got a spare hundred quid to send it to sigma for a repair and service lol, these ones were deliberately shot at a narrower aperture to get some movement in the water as I didn't have an nd filter with me, just the grads :)

Lovely - a combo of the sky from 3 and the foreground from 5 would take 1st prize of the bunch for here for me.

Number 3 is fantastic; love the addition of the wellies in the shot! Really transforms the image.

In my humble opinion a fantastic set. I really enjoyed looking at them.

I enjoyed taking them! Thanks for the comment :)

Number 3 is fantastic; love the addition of the wellies in the shot! Really transforms the image.

Seems to have went down well that one :)

Nice to try something slightly different every once in a while :)

Nice set. Of the lot it's #4 for me. Not sure if you meant to cover some of the FG pebbles with sand but it really appeals to me. Not sure why, though. Just. Does.

Cheers and cracking location.

may have already been said...

very nice colours... level off the horizons to make good.. great!

I like number 3. It has something else in it except a sunrise/set and gives it narrative.

Without that element... just another sunset/rise over a beach shot.

really lovely set. Wonderful light.

Back