Daily Day 53/365 Look in - I dare you!

That's ace And really like seeing the set up!

I thought I would show, so those that want to try it, can! The paper (the diffuser) goes over the back of the DVD case which is full of clear inserts which is what transmits the light so well. I had to use the penknife and stapler to keep the paper flat and they both reflect a small amount of light back on to the pins too. I think ideally I would have lit it from both sides but I only had one light! I tried it with backgrounds like I did the lamp shot but it just didn't work so I turned the monitor off and I liked the effect!

Very clever. Love the simple lighting, yet kind of complex in a way! Especially on the drawing pins :)

I know what you mean, it was just a process of building it up. Initially I started taking pictures if just one pin on my desk and it evolved getting more and more complex!

Oh excellent - first time I've ever seen a swiss army knife used as a reflector though - Inspired :D

Like the bright colours in your paper clips and drawing pins shots ferj, will keep coming back to check your thread as loving all your shots.

Probably a really thick question but i know nothing lol....clear inserts?:(

Probably a really thick question but i know nothing lol....clear inserts?:(

It's a multi DVD case (holding a whole series of 24!) Instead of the bits holding the disks in being black, they are clear! Hope that helps!

It's a multi DVD case (holding a whole series of 24!) Instead of the bits holding the disks in being black, they are clear! Hope that helps!

:LOL::LOL::LOL: ah yes now i get you!!.... i was for some reason i was thinking of the box as in a carboard box:bonk::bonk:

Thank you!:D

Day 16 sees the return of an icon but in a new disguise...

Welcome back the new smoking, levitating Super Mouse :LOL:

(No camera trickery - all taken in one shot)

016 Super Mouse by Ferj Photography, on Flickr

Last edited:
Day 16 sees the return of an icon but in a new disguise...

Welcome back the new smoking, levitating Super Mouse :LOL:

(No camera trickery - all taken in one shot)

016 Super Mouse by Ferj Photography, on Flickr

This just looks like the ultrasound resulting from your desk love affair!!! :eek::LOL::LOL:

Seriously, though, I have no idea what it is but it makes an amazing shot! (y)

Sam that's really funny!

Its my computer mouse!

Last edited:
Thanks Lynn, bit rushed for time so will sort out a description/set up later if i can but here is todays. I have been meaning to take a shot of my X10 and wanted a retro feel. Not 100% happy with it but not a lot of time today!!!

017 Fuji X10 by Ferj Photography, on Flickr

2 gorgeous photos.... the smoking one is fantastic and also very very curious how you did it.... loving the camera.. even tho you said you're not a 100% happy but the tones are gorgeous(y)

So here is very complex set build for "Super Mouse". I had an idea I wanted the mouse to hover so I could used the red light that emits from underneath and after various attempts weighting it down using the wire to the PC and a few tactically placed clips left it slightly away from the book.

I wanted a matt black background so used another book for that. I added my trust desk lamp to add a bit of emotive lighting then to top it off I wanted smoke so used a candle which I blew out just before the shot. Many attempts later and a 90 degree rotation, crop and horizontal flip - hey presto, Super Mouse was born

Ferj Super Mouse set build by Ferj Photography, on Flickr

haha so simple but amazingly effective yet again... thank you for sharing again with us ferj (y)

Sarah, T. you're welcome. I don't think there are any secrets in photography and think its always fun to try new stuff which i why I have taken the set up shots to help others and so we can all feed off ideas to create new things. It has really been thanks to the encouragement of people on here I keep on thinking about my new shots so much!

I can't believe 17 days in I haven't moved from my desk to take shots - yet it has been here for years! I am feeling a little bit like my shots are getting a little similar and i need to explore more though - but I do love the X10 for this kind of work :)

Super mouse is cool! Thanks for showing your setup, I might have to try something similar for my 365. Nice camera too ;)

Cheers guys :)

As you can see the set ups really aren't that complicated. I don't have any formal photographic training which might be a good thing! For me I just look at the object and see how I can make it more exciting (if possible!).

I have really struggled with a hole punch and a stapler so far, but its just about looking at the angles and playing with the light until it falls in the right place. I normally start with the item on the desk with no light and add bits if I need them, simpler the better!

That mouse shot is very clever! Excellent setup, thanks for the description (y)

And I quite like the camera shot, think you've nailed the retro feel. Lighting is perfect on it

Sarah, T. you're welcome. I don't think there are any secrets in photography and think its always fun to try new stuff which i why I have taken the set up shots to help others and so we can all feed off ideas to create new things. It has really been thanks to the encouragement of people on here I keep on thinking about my new shots so much!

I can't believe 17 days in I haven't moved from my desk to take shots - yet it has been here for years! I am feeling a little bit like my shots are getting a little similar and i need to explore more though - but I do love the X10 for this kind of work :)

They don't feel similiar to me i am thoroughly enjoying them... what i do like is the fact you are so willing to share and i like that, makes it feel more of a close little community we have here... there are so many people that don't like sharing... maybe they don't want people copying or doing better i don't know... but i think it's lovely to share knowledge and little tips....

Any way keep up the amazing stuff.. you have all of us hooked!!:D(y)

Thanks T. I dont see the point of being so secretive, sure if someone nicked my actual photo I 'd be peeved (although I guess it is a compliment in a way!) but people can figure out lighting etc if they really try. Far better to be sociable in my book! Enough chatting, I need day 18's shot!

Another great one and I gave myself an honorary 10 points for also guessing but not in time! :LOL::LOL:

Back