Day at Martin Mere

Fozzybear

Suspended / Banned
Name
Kev
Edit My Images
Yes
Just your usual generic bird photos really. It was a disappointing day all round.

f5.6, 1/800, ISO 500, 180mm.
5550654797_cf81d6009a_b.jpg

f5.6, 1/1600, ISO 160, 300mm.
5550656987_5298393932_b.jpg

f5.6, 1/800, ISO 100, 180mm.
5550654191_0bdb3e55b4_b.jpg

f5.6, 1/800, ISO 125, 200mm.
5550656155_b9a944473b_b.jpg

Criticise away, especially on my shutter speeds. I'm tending not to change my shutter speeds so much as the high ISO performance of the Sony A580 has blown my mind!

Well I think these are all nice captures. Should be happy with those.
Is the first a Pochard?

Did you try out the hides around the reserve? Been some great birds there of late Female Smew from the Harrier hide, the Avocet are now back plus loads of Brambling around the Janet Kear Hide, also Ruff really close in from the Swan link Hide.

Tim.

Thanks all.

I had a disappointing day overall. This selection were shot in a desperate 10 minute spell just before I left Martin Mere! :)

I think that BIF is the only BIF shot I have ever had in focus. The Sony A580 did a really good job of keeping focus on the bird. or maybe my 70-300G SSM had something to do with it.

Did you try out the hides around the reserve? Been some great birds there of late Female Smew from the Harrier hide, the Avocet are now back plus loads of Brambling around the Janet Kear Hide, also Ruff really close in from the Swan link Hide.

Tim.

I did try every hide but there wasn't that much to see. There were lots of swans but the Kingfisher Hide doesn't seem to have regular Kingfisher anymore!

The Bunting Hide at Pennington Flash is by far the best hide I've been in so far. The feeding table at MM was empty compared to PF.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong in my eyes - might have to pay a visit there soon

I did try every hide but there wasn't that much to see. There were lots of swans but the Kingfisher Hide doesn't seem to have regular Kingfisher anymore!

The Bunting Hide at Pennington Flash is by far the best hide I've been in so far. The feeding table at MM was empty compared to PF.[/QUOTE]

Hi Kev

Sounds like you were just unlucky. A good reserve close by is Meresands Wood, thats usually quite good for Kingfisher.

Tim.

Mere sands used to be great for kingfishers but none have been seen since last November...... Will be interesting to hear how their populations nationwide have been affected due to the harsh Winter.

I'm going to give Mere Sands a visit today.

It looks like Pennington Flash may be the best place for Kingfishers. I saw 2 together around 10 days ago but they were too far away to get a good shot of.

I was there last night Kev on a gorgeous evening. There are quite a few pairs of great crested grebe on the various lakes in fantastic colour and some little grebe as well. The kingfishers had three broods last summer and a few guys had pics of a family of five on one branch but sadly they have all completely left the area or perished..... Lets hope a few return pretty soon

I was there last night Kev on a gorgeous evening. ...

Actually, I've decided to pop out to Blackpool Zoo instead.

The lack of Kingfishers has put me off going to Mere Sands for the time being. I'll definitely give it a visit over the Summer though.

Hi Kev

A Kingfisher has been seen there this week, hopefully some new birds are finding the area, or its the same birds returning after the harsh winter.

If you go to the Bird Forum there is a thread just for Martin Mere and Mere Sands which is up dated on a regular basis.

Tim.

Tim

That's good news.

I really want to get up close and personal with a Kingfisher. I've seen some ruly stunning shots of Kingfishers in a Sony only forum elsewhere. They are spectacular photos of a spectacular looking bird.

I'll definitely try Mere Sands in the future. After going to Martin Mere, I now know the area a bit better.

Cheers.

Seems that a lot of people on the Forum would like a disappointing day like yours Kev, and I am adding my name to the list. Well done a great set.

Regards: Gordon

Back