Daydreaming

Name
Julie
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok I took some shots of my little princess sitting by the window. Alot of blown out highlights as you can see,lol. I happen to like them even though technically their not right. Just curious to hear what you all thought and what can I do to improve em maybe. To me they look almost dream like, I really like that look.

amberwindow3.jpg

amberwindow2.jpg

amberwindow1.jpg

TFL

Jewel

I like the exposure in #1 but I prefer the composition of #2.

All three are lovely shots though. Just a shame about the blown highlights.

No1 for me Jules, it would have been No2 except for the blown highlights. Try to avoid harsh sunny days for these types of shots. Overcast, even rainy days are an ideal time to take these window light shots. The trick is to meter on the window (lighter) side of the face but use reflectors.. anything white, an old sheet etc, to reflect some light back into the shadow side of the face. You can get some beautiful portraits in this way with nothing but soft natural light. :)

Some cracking shots there Jewel :clap: I like them all - I can't choose a favourite! The only thing I would add is that I find the flower in her hair quite distracting in the last shot.

Great shots Jewel, 1 & 2 for me...1 edges it but I like the pose of 2. Nicely done.

CT said:
No1 for me Jules, it would have been No2 except for the blown highlights. Try to avoid harsh sunny days for these types of shots. Overcast, even rainy days are an ideal time to take these window light shots. The trick is to meter on the window (lighter) side of the face but use reflectors.. anything white, an old sheet etc, to reflect some light back into the shadow side of the face. You can get some beautiful portraits in this way with nothing but soft natural light. :)

Thanks Cedric for the pointers. I'll give it a another go and post em up when I do. Anything white will do eh!

As for the flower mini,lol I found it very distracting as well but, she had picked it out of the garden and wore it in her hair all day. She is really beginning to enjoy my camera. I've wondered about putting her in modeling actually. One never knows though, I mean as a parent we ALL think our kids are just the most cutest thing going, lol :D Never know what the rest of the world thinks. :LOL:

TFL

Jewel

Think they are all great, lovely shots, very photogenic

#1 for me, really nice shot that would be very cool on a wall

I prefer #2 as well though it could be a little sharper. Just my preference but I would have lost the flower. It just seems far to prominent in the first and the leaf in the third is just too distracting.

Well we all know the quote about eyes being the windows of the soul, but windows can give a photograph some soul, especially in portraiture. I'd rather see one portrait with some soul then a 1000 tack sharp this & buttery smooth that images that are adverts for lenses rather then how somebody feels about something

You have the concept right, with out that it you have nothing. You only have to get the exposure right and improve on your focusing, but they are much easier to learn then soul

I love the light in No 1 - nothing to beat natural light when photographing children. If not reflector try fill in flast set at about - 2 stops. In this case the highlights are part of the complete image. Again agree with others No2 lovely pose and framing but a little too light for me and No 3 must catch a look that just is her!

Back